Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
8am
8am began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1
Half of the screen doesn't work

Hello.

Bottom half of screen of my Kindle 1 doesn't work. I can see text only when I turn the page and screen becomes black for a second or less. When the screen is white I can't read anything from bottom half.

Can it be repaired without changing the screen? I have no warranty.
What can be a problem with?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kirdik7956.gif
Views:	10399
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	35979  
8am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It doesn't look like a broken screen, but perhaps a problem with the controller. Even out of warrenty, I'd suggest you give Amazon a call and see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8am View Post
Bottom half of screen of my Kindle 1 doesn't work. I can see text only when I turn the page and screen becomes black for a second or less. When the screen is white I can't read anything from bottom half.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would be interested to find out what Amazon has to say.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
At worse case they are selling refurbished K1's for $149
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Absolutely call Amazon Kindle support. Let us know what they say.

Was it dropped at all?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #6
8am

The problem is I not in US right now.. So I want to understand if the problem is with LCD or not. Thanks.

So text couldn't be read at the bottom 1/2 part of screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p2.jpg
Views:	9034
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	35989  
Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If it was a broken glass substrate, the line would not be perfectly straight and horizontal, nor would it be exactly half way down the screen, and nor would the unresponsive half be plain white.

So it's a problem with the electronics controlling the screen, or with the cable to the screen, but not a crack in the glass of the screen.

Quote:
The problem is I not in US right now.. So I want to understand if the problem is with LCD or not. Thanks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Definitely a screen controller issue, but it's a hardware problem, and has to go back to Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
http://www.portatronics.com/index.ph...1d97e3987ed9c0

Got this link from another thread - a company that fixes Kindles - might send them your problem and see what they can offer.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Even if you are outside the us, there is a number amazon support lists to call........it couldn't hurt to try seeing as its not a user caused problem. Good luck.

1-206-266-0927
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
Dalmane98
Dalmane98 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
http://www.portatronics.com/index.ph...1d97e3987ed9c0

Got this link from another thread - a company that fixes Kindles - might send them your problem and see what they can offer.
Just what I needed to Bookmark...

Dalmane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
8am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmane98 View Post
Just what I needed to Bookmark...

For the price they sell repairs you can by refurbished kindle from amazon.. I want to buy one too but they don't send overseas
Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
For the price they sell repairs you can by refurbished kindle from amazon.. I want to buy one too but they don't send overseas
Please share your experience with this company. Another member had posted it but we haven't had any reports on how they are to deal with.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote