Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
No idea and they aren't likely to release #. But lets play a theoretical game. Let's assume everyone here that posts represents 99 that don't (for easy figuring). And for easy figuring assume 100 people on here have posted about a bricked Kobo (way high I think). And let's assume that Kobo has sold 500,000 devices worldswide. That would mean 2% of users had a problem. It would seriously suck to be one of those with the issue and I would curse a bricked Kobo, but I think the numbers are why Taming is assuming it's not widespread bricking.
Also take into consideration that Kobo pulled the firware upgrade pretty quickly. I have a workmate that bought a KT for his wife because I liked and used mine so much (walking to work - yes I walk and read along the way, coffee break, lunch break, walking home from work). I had told him about the upgrade and he was keen on doing it but by Friday hadn't yet gotten around to it, which was a good thing for him. So of those 500,000... I'd say, what, maybe... maybe half upgraded before it was pulled. I can't say for sure, only Kobo would know how many hits they got from people trying to upgrade before they put back the old firmware.

Did some Googling... interesting stats:
Quote:
The Kobo e-reading platform has become the dominant player in Canada, with research firm Ipsos Reid estimating that Kobo e-readers represented 46% of the Canadian market as of January 2012.[18]

As of spring 2012, Kobo has 50% of the market share in France.
Quote:
July 10, 2012 - Kobo Inc., a global leader in eReading, and its parent company Rakuten, the world’s third-largest e-commerce company, today announced that the Kobo Touch™ is selling like hot-cakes in Japan. Since the companies began offering the award-winning Kobo Touch for pre-order on July 2, the eReader has been the top selling product among the over 100,000,000 products available on Rakuten’s supermall.
Quote:
January 5, 2012 - Kobo, a global leader in eReading with over 5 million users worldwide, today revealed record sales for the holiday season. This year the Kobo eReader was a very popular gift with people around the world receiving new Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox eReader and Kobo Wifi devices, driving company sales to a record high.

Kobo saw strong momentum with a 10X increase in new customers from the company’s pre-holiday period, and hundreds of thousands of devices were activated each day since Christmas Eve,
Sooo... that 500,000 is probably a pretty low number... How many actually upgrade right away and how many had problems we'll never know.

I also found this:
Quote:
Kobo has just announced that they’ve scored a new partner in their plans to expand into the European ebook market. The Mondadori Group, publisher of magazines and books (as well as one of the large media retailers in Italy), is going to carry an Italian language version of the Kobo Touch this fall.
For those not wanting to do the math, even at a low 500,000 - 2% of those affected would be 10,000 customers. That's a lot of unhappy people telling their friends what a POS a kobo is, each of those friends tells 2 of their friends not to buy a Kobo... you now have 10,000 unhappy people and another 30,000 avoiding buying a kobo which translates into $4,170,000 in lost device sales and another $239,700 lost in just each of those people not buying 1 book.

Last edited by Danger; 07-14-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #17
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
For those who think Kobo is the only one with any issues and they that they don't communicate very well, check out this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Freeze. This was almost A MONTH after they released the PRS-1 and was the 1st official comment from Sony about freeze issues users were having ON BRAND NEW, JUST RELEASED DEVICES. No beta testing there either i guess. Is Kobo perfect - no, but at least they are working to fix the problem in a timely manner.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
For those not wanting to do the math, even at a low 500,000 - 2% of those affected would be 10,000 customers. That's a lot of unhappy people telling their friends what a POS a kobo is, each of those friends tells 2 of their friends not to buy a Kobo... you now have 10,000 unhappy people and another 30,000 avoiding buying a kobo which translates into $4,170,000 in lost device sales and another $239,700 lost in just each of those people not buying 1 book.
Actually, what will happen is those 10,000 people will tell every single one of their friends who ever asks about their recommendation on Kobo about their very poor experience. That's far more than 30,000.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #19
lar3ry
Enthusiast
lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch
Quote:
For those who think Kobo is the only one with any issues and they that they don't communicate very well, check out this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Freeze. This was almost A MONTH after they released the PRS-1 and was the 1st official comment from Sony about freeze issues users were having ON BRAND NEW, JUST RELEASED DEVICES. No beta testing there either i guess. Is Kobo perfect - no, but at least they are working to fix the problem in a timely manner.
I didn't buy a Sony. Did you? I don't care that Sony has problems. I don't care if Amazon treats their users like Kobo does. I don't care if any other readers have advertising. What I do care about is how Kobo acts and how they treat me.

If someone punches me in the face, I am not comforted by being told that someone else was punched in the face too.
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #20
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Actually, what will happen is those 10,000 people will tell every single one of their friends who ever asks about their recommendation on Kobo about their very poor experience. That's far more than 30,000.
I know, I do it myself when I have had a bad experience with something or somewhere. I was deliberately underestimating...
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #21
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
I didn't buy a Sony. Did you? I don't care that Sony has problems. I don't care if Amazon treats their users like Kobo does. I don't care if any other readers have advertising. What I do care about is how Kobo acts and how they treat me.

If someone punches me in the face, I am not comforted by being told that someone else was punched in the face too.
My post was meant to be directed to those claiming that Kobo was obviously doing no testing because they have problems with firmware updates on some individual devices. I'd be bitter too if it was my Kobo that was bricked, but realize there is ZERO chance that you're ever going to get a firmware that doesn't cause a problem for someone somewhere. My other point was that at least Kobo is trying their best to fix the problem as soon as it came to light, unlike some other companies (Sony) who wouldn't even acknowledge it was an issue initially. In a perfect world it wouldn't have happened at all. In the imperfect world we live in, at least be happy they've acknowledged some people have a problem and seem to be working as hard as they can to fix it.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #22
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
In the imperfect world we live in, at least be happy they've acknowledged some people have a problem and seem to be working as hard as they can to fix it.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
My post was meant to be directed to those claiming that Kobo was obviously doing no testing because they have problems with firmware updates on some individual devices. I'd be bitter too if it was my Kobo that was bricked, but realize there is ZERO chance that you're ever going to get a firmware that doesn't cause a problem for someone somewhere. My other point was that at least Kobo is trying their best to fix the problem as soon as it came to light, unlike some other companies (Sony) who wouldn't even acknowledge it was an issue initially. In a perfect world it wouldn't have happened at all. In the imperfect world we live in, at least be happy they've acknowledged some people have a problem and seem to be working as hard as they can to fix it.
I agree that Kobo are trying to do something about it and are fairly responsive and involved in trying to communicate their response. In the past I've actually talked to personnel at their head office in Toronto and they have been polite, responsive and as helpful as they could be. From that point of view they are undoubtedly better than Sony, although that's not hard to do. You have to be careful if your standard of care in any way involves a comparison with Sony. It's a bit like saying "I may not be perfect but at least I don't torture little kittens". They also get major kudos in my book for continuing to develop the firmware and listening to/interacting with their users, on some fronts at least. That said I think the dumbing down of the upgrade process is a bad idea. I don't automatically upgrade anything, from Windows, to programs to router firmware. I ensure I'm aware of upgrades and then review what they are and if I need them. The trend towards "all users are idiots so we'll just do their thinking for them" annoys me. Which brings me to what does annoy me about Kobo.

My problems with Kobo over this update are not over their tech problems. Those are extremely annoying for anyone affected, there appears to have been holes somewhere in the development and testing process, and they may have lost some existing or prospective users as a result but at least they seem to be addressing the problems and I agree that in the overall scheme of things there are a lot worse reactions to similar situations out there.

My real beef is the addition of marketing/advertising pushes to a product which was bought without them and, even more, the tone of the way these are justified e.g. on their blog where they're touted as "improving your reading experience". They don't improve my reading experience, only an idiot, or a liar, would think that they do. They've let the liars, marketing, drive the process. They let the liars talk to their customers as though they're idiots. And somewhere in Toronto some marketroid, who's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is, is ticking off their customers, their best referral source of new business, every time he opens his mouth or insists on perverting the development of new firmware. Then the apologists come out and say "they have to have this if they're going to survive". They don't. The best way to survive, as proven over and over again by countless businesses, is to listen to your customers and provide them with what they want with the best customer service you can manage. Research has proven many times that gaining a new customer is many times more expensive than retaining an existing customer, and that the best source of new business is existing, satisfied customers. Piss them off at your peril.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #24
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
My real beef is the addition of marketing/advertising pushes to a product which was bought without them and, even more, the tone of the way these are justified e.g. on their blog where they're touted as "improving your reading experience". They don't improve my reading experience, only an idiot, or a liar, would think that they do. They've let the liars, marketing, drive the process.
The thing that some of us have to try to understand is that some customers see this marketing drive as an improved experience. They want recommendations. They want social networking. They want reading life.

Now I don't understand why because I'm not one of those people. Yet it would be arrogant of me to assume that Kobo's rise or fall depends upon my personal opinion on such matters.

(Actually, I do sort of understand it. I am highly concerned about privacy and usually make decisions that reflect that. On the other hand, I am giving up a lot of convenience when I disable or work around features on these devices. I could, for example, purchase a book in less than a minute with the Touch's store. It takes much longer if I conduct the same transaction using means that protect at least some of my privacy.)
Old 07-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #25
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
... I'd be bitter too if it was my Kobo that was bricked ... In a perfect world it wouldn't have happened at all. In the imperfect world we live in, at least be happy they've acknowledged some people have a problem and seem to be working as hard as they can to fix it.
Mine was bricked, and while I wasn't "bitter" I was disappointed, but in reality I was back operational in less than 24 hours.

Communication from Kobo support was good too, the only issue the need to repeat the same steps three times. But that is the reality of dealing with tech support it seems, no matter what.
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #26
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
The thing that some of us have to try to understand is that some customers see this marketing drive as an improved experience. They want recommendations. They want social networking. They want reading life.

Now I don't understand why because I'm not one of those people. Yet it would be arrogant of me to assume that Kobo's rise or fall depends upon my personal opinion on such matters.
I'm sure you're right. It's just such an alien mindset to me that I do have trouble understanding it. I want my ereader to be like picking up a book, with a few enhancements such as search, multi-volume portability, non-destructive annotations and bookmarks, variable fonts etc. That's why I spent money on it. I don't want marketing in my face, I don't want social networking and I have no interest in Grade 6 level reading life stats and comments. I realize that's just my opinion and taste, but I don't think it's arrogant to express it, my opinion is as valid as someone who actually wants all of the above. I have no problem if someone else wants all that on their home page, just let me obliterate it from mine. I don't think Kobo's rise or fall depends on my opinion, but I do note that a preponderance of opinion on here doesn't seem to be in favour of the marketing tsunami. And it would certainly feature in my description should anyone ask me what I think of the Kobo, although I should say that overall I would probably recommend it.

What I do think is arrogant is the way they are represented in areas such as their blog. If they said "We've added three tabs to make it easier for you to get our recommendations and buy from us" I still wouldn't want it but I could live with the explanation, at least it's honest. Telling me they're "improving my reading experience" when it isn't and wrapping it in "Golly gee, look what we've done for you" when it's more honest to say "Golly gee, look how we're trying to persuade you to buy from us" just gets my goat. I dislike smarmy marketing that thinks it's fooling people and I particularly resent 1984 newspeak that twists the reality of what's being done. To coin a phrase it's "thoughtcrime"

In general I don't get irate about things I don't care about. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. What annoys me here is that I had high hopes of the Kobo, I still do, and it does frustrate me when I feel that someone is messing it up. Particularly when I feel a marketroid is involved.

Anyway, they'll do what they do, and I'll react accordingly.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #27
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Exactly!

I have absolutely no interest in reading life or facebook. I don't want a clock on my Kobo or a dictonary. But I do know that some or all of these things are very important to other people.
Why should the fact that I don't want them mean that nobody else can have them either?

I actually like looking at the recommendations on the website!! (Now I feel like I have confessed to a serious crime!) As I don't purchase directly from my Kobo I don't want them on my Kobo but I expect that someone who does purchase directly on their Kobo would think that the recommendations (or advertising as others are calling it) would be beneficial.

We are all different and want slightly different things from our Kobos. I think it would be great if we could show or hide the features that we all value.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
At least Sony eventually acknowledged the issue. How long have people been experiencing dead taps? What has been Kobo's response?

I can see the update problems possibly slipping through testing, but the slow page turns for side loaded epubs?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #29
Bosj
Bosj began at the beginning.

Hi there, this has just happened to me and I am at a loss as to how to proceed. You mentioned to simply enable the writing option. Now would that be on my Kobo? And if so, could you tell me where I could do this?

Sorry, not quite savvy with this e-reader yet. Just so you know, both my Calibrend my Kobo are updated and I have performed the Factory Reset.

I am also new to the Forum, so I apologize in advance for any missteps!

Thanks in advance!
Bosj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #30
robko
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosj View Post
Hi there, this has just happened to me and I am at a loss as to how to proceed. You mentioned to simply enable the writing option. Now would that be on my Kobo? And if so, could you tell me where I could do this?

Sorry, not quite savvy with this e-reader yet. Just so you know, both my Calibrend my Kobo are updated and I have performed the Factory Reset.

I am also new to the Forum, so I apologize in advance for any missteps!

Thanks in advance!
I assume you mean you are having the Calibre database warning come up and that's what you're asking about? If so see the post linked below and it should help you. Otherwise give us a few more details.

Welcome to the forum!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184771