Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
jmpopush
jmpopush has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle 3 w
What I have done on KSO and some questions

I decompiled on amazon's jars. And I found that there is an ad-manager, which controls download and update(rotation) ads.

I intend to edit those class files to bypass the verification. But this manager seems only control ad files IO, so it doesn't effect GUI part.

the manager will check /var/local/adunits/admgr.seenactive. If that file is exist, then the manager assume this kindle is a special one. Then the manager will download and update the ads.

So I think we need to find which process create that file admgr.seenactive.

You can find those control codes on framework-impl.jar/ad/manager/n.class.

My questions are:

After I jailbreak, as I do not need to change screensaver frequently (also I think a background program will consume the battery), I just replace the default screensaver for KSO (\opt\amazon\screen_saver\adunits\600x800\screensv r.gif). After that, It works. I wonder amazon's ad pushing will fix this trick. But until now, I did not receive any new ads. Did you guys find some new ads?

If you guys receive new ads and I didn't. I think that means the jailbreak break the ad rules (actually I do not believe that, amazon should not check key files when checking the version of kindle).

I edited n.class file to disable the function of the ad manager. But I don't whether it works as I didn't receive any ads after jailbreak.

Thanks and enjoy!

Last edited by jmpopush; 06-10-2011 at 12:15 AM.
jmpopush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpopush View Post
I decompiled on amazon's jars. And I found that there is an ad-manager, which controls download and update(rotation) ads.
Are you able to determine how the rotation is determined? It isn't based on the date of the ad folder, maybe it is based on the folder number?
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
I'm trying as well editing n.class, which tools did you use? I've tried some decompilers but code won't recompile later.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Whenever the kindle syncs with the todo server to check for new books and stuff, if your serial is on amazons server as an ad enabled kindle, it sends the ads and creates that file. While I don't like to help people bypass their agreement, I don't want people wasting their time either. If you really don't want ads, either swap serial number with a friend who wants ads (like me, I actually want ads but have an older kindle, but I already done that) or restore to a 3.1 image. I won't provide any more information.

Last edited by yifanlu; 06-13-2011 at 10:54 PM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote