Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
jsnell
jsnell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Trapped on 2.3, can't revert Screensaver hack

Hi guys,

Last night I finally decided to update to 2.5 and found that I can't. I'm currently running 2.3 (status line: Kindle 2.3 (399380047) + SSi 0.1) with the screensaver hack.

In the past doing an update was as simple as copying the uninstall file, updating, and restarting. But every attempt to do that — with the uninstall file I kept on my computer hard drive from the install process, with a new version downloaded from here, with an attempt to reinstall and then deinstall — led to a 007 error and a failed update.

Any ideas about where to go from here?
jsnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You're probably trying to run an uninstall for a hack packaged for fw 2.5

Either find the uninstall corresponding to your specific hack packaged for fw 2.3, or install a jailbreak (primarily targeted for fw 2.5, but it works on previous versions), and then you'll be able to run update files packaged for any fw.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-20-2010 at 09:37 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
jsnell
jsnell began at the beginning.

Thumbs up

Thank you!

Closing the loop here:

I was able to escape this predicament by:

1. Using 2.5 jailbreak, even though I was on 2.3

2. Then using the jailbreak-based screensaver uninstall

3. Then un-jailbreaking

4. Then updating my Kindle to 2.5
jsnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
xomandalynn
xomandalynn began at the beginning.

Can I please ask what jailbreak/uninstall you used? I'm having the exact same problem.

I've found 2.5 jailbreaks and tried to follow the list of what you did to fix your problem. I'll add the jailbreak file to my kindle root and eject my kindle, but when I go to update my kindle the option is grayed out. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong here.

I still have my screen saver uninstall file, but it doesn't uninstall the hack. All it does is put the kindle screen savers in the folder.

I really want to update my kindle to the 2.5 software.
xomandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As always, grayed out "Update Your Kindle" link == you're using the wrong .bin file for your Kindle model.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
xomandalynn

I figured that part out. I needed the K2i bins instead of the K2

I used the jailbreak & SS hacks here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

I followed exactly what jsnell did. (+ SSi 0.1) is still on my kindle version status and I still cannot update to 2.5 software.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You'll need to use the uninstall .bin from your original ScreenSaver hack, mine (the one you linked) is somewhat different, so that explains your trouble .
Old 09-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
xomandalynn

Every uninstall bin I found didn't uninstall the hack. It just removed my custom photos from the screen_saver folder and added in all the original kindle screen savers.

But I just found an uninstall that finally took away the hack. Hopefully my update will go smoothly now

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
ChinaLamb
ChinaLamb began at the beginning.

What finally worked? I have the same problem.

Thanks
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Me too !
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:52 AM   #11
ChinaLamb
ChinaLamb began at the beginning.

I think what finally worked for me was to run the uninstalls for other hacks. I think it was uninstalling the networking hack that finally made it work for me... All the posts said that my problem was the screensaver hack, but it really was the networking hack...
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote