Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #166
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Hi there!

Yesterday I installed the 2.0.4 EURO firmware on my PB 902.
I must say I'm disappointed by it and later I'll try to return back to 2.0.3. I hope it is possible.
First of all, as reported by some other user, the reader completely hanged during the process for no apparent reason. No error message, no nothing. I had to remove the battery to reset it and, fortunately, when I turned the reader back on, the update continued and ended succesfully. No need to say that I expect the programmers, in the future, to test the firmwares better.
Then, the reason why I installed it is because the dictionary doesn't work well with the Adobe PDF Reader. I select a word, but the reader instead of showing its meaning, it displays a list, like when the word isn't in the dictionary. Ironically, the first entry of the list is often the one I need! The new f/w not only didn't fix it but is even worse! Now I have to wait for the reader to look up and display every single word I encounter while moving towards the one I need, so the process becomes really slow.
I also noticed that the virtual keyboard is less responsive. When I start to write a new word to look up, I often have to push two or three times the direction arrow or keep it pressed a little longer before the reader catches it.

Here's a summary of bugs I noticed:

1. In Adobe Reader the dictionary almost never finds the word I select. Even simple words like "from" or "some".
2. The dictionary, with both epub's and pdf's, is now painfully slow because it tries to look up and display each word I encounter while moving the cursor to the word I need. Isn't it possible to have the meaning of a word displayed only when I confirm with the center button?
3. The virtual keyboard is less responsive.
4. I remember that in f/w 2.0.2 the whole word was highlighted while using the dictionary with epub's, then with 2.0.3 it started to show only a thin bar. Pdfviewer, though, still has the old behaviour (which looks better, IMO).
4b. Using the TTS, the sentence that is being read is not highlighted. Instead some black bar is drawn on the left of the screen. On youtube there are videos of last IFA where you can see the correct behaviour! Again a feature that gets worse?
5. In Library with the option to show both book details and covers, the wrong author is shown for PDF's. I noticed that the reader keeps showing the same name that was displayed in the same location a moment before for another book. To reproduce it: create two directories, one with some epubs, the other with pdf's. Open the epub dir. The author of the first book is, say, "Bonex". Now open the pdf dir. The first book is for example a novel by Agatha Christie but the reader displays "Bonex" again.
6. I noticed that the "Digital Editions" directory contains thumbnails for the pdf books I have, but they are never displayed in the Library.
7. If you don't touch any button for a few minutes the clock is grayed out on the status bar. With 2.0.3 if you pushed a button you could hear a noise from the speakers. You can still hear it with 2.0.4 (but it is quieter).
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #167
donbex
donbex began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonex View Post
Hi there!
Hello to you, Bonex.
First of all, please notice that I own a PB 602, not a 902. Currently it runs the 2.04 Euro firmware, which installed flawlessly.

Quote:
1. In Adobe Reader the dictionary almost never finds the word I select. Even simple words like "from" or "some".
I never experienced this. My reader displays the correct entry when looking up a word (present in the current dictionary), both in fbreader and in AdobeReader.

Quote:
2. The dictionary, with both epub's and pdf's, is now painfully slow because it tries to look up and display each word I encounter while moving the cursor to the word I need. Isn't it possible to have the meaning of a word displayed only when I confirm with the center button?
I experienced this, though. It seems like they reduced the time between when you select a word and when the dictionary app looks it up.

Quote:
3. The virtual keyboard is less responsive.
Oddly, I noticed this only with two buttons over four (right and down).

Quote:
4. I remember that in f/w 2.0.2 the whole word was highlighted while using the dictionary with epub's, then with 2.0.3 it started to show only a thin bar. Pdfviewer, though, still has the old behaviour (which looks better, IMO).
I think that what you call the "old" behaviour is that of fbreader and pdfreader, while the "new" one is that of AdobeReader.

Quote:
4b. Using the TTS, the sentence that is being read is not highlighted. Instead some black bar is drawn on the left of the screen. On youtube there are videos of last IFA where you can see the correct behaviour! Again a feature that gets worse?
I never used TTS, sorry.

Quote:
5. In Library with the option to show both book details and covers, the wrong author is shown for PDF's. I noticed that the reader keeps showing the same name that was displayed in the same location a moment before for another book. To reproduce it: create two directories, one with some epubs, the other with pdf's. Open the epub dir. The author of the first book is, say, "Bonex". Now open the pdf dir. The first book is for example a novel by Agatha Christie but the reader displays "Bonex" again.
I never experienced anything similar. The only thing I could suggest you about this is to try again after setting "Apperance"->"Page full update"->"Always".

Quote:
6. I noticed that the "Digital Editions" directory contains thumbnails for the pdf books I have, but they are never displayed in the Library.
Never used "Digital Editions", sorry.

Quote:
7. If you don't touch any button for a few minutes the clock is grayed out on the status bar. With 2.0.3 if you pushed a button you could hear a noise from the speakers. You can still hear it with 2.0.4 (but it is quieter).
The speaker thing is known behaviour.
I think that graying out the clock is actually better than displaying a freezed clock.

Anyway, I think you should try to reinstall the 2.0.4 firmware. Maybe some of the misbehaviours you noticed are due to some error in the install process.
donbex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #168
doublezed
doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Leggo IBS - a.k.a. PocketBook 603
Here is my first bug report for the PB603:
suppose you put an html page named test.html on your PB603. You open it (i suppose it's fbreader that comes up!) go to the index and you will see it's absolutely correct: each entry correspond to an H1 container in the html!.

Now connect the PB603 to the pc and edit the test.html file and change something inside an <h1></h1> container. Save the file, disconnect the pb603, reopen the file. When you go to the index, you will see the identical index that was before the changes.

I suppose the index database is not updated neither if the file had been changed. In fact, to let the index to be updated, i have to rename the file! But if i open it and then i rename it to the old name, again the old index is shown... frustrating because for frequently updated htmls i have to rename the file each time with e new never used before name.

The index is not updated neither after a power off/power on cycle.
doublezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #169
gaman555
gaman555 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book 902
bug report

device: Pocketbook 902 pro
firmware: 2.0.4

problem:
Documents in DOCX format are not recognized as being read completely: 100% and a V mark in the library near the document name, If the amount of pages is under 5.
gaman555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:24 AM   #170
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Exclamation

Pocketbook 602
firmware 2.0.4 (latest)
I'm unable to edit the ppp connection script which is preventing me from forming a usable network connection over bluetooth.

I'm not a Linux guru or aware of every last trick regarding the device, if there is a work-around please let me know.

I've observed the content of the script being used in /var/etc/chat.ppp , which isn't a permanent location so its probably copied/generated from another location.

To form a ppp link to my pc (Windows XP Pro running its ppp server 'routing and remote access' service) the device needs to have the following lines in the script:
Code:
'' 'CLIENT'
'' 'CLIENT'
CLIENTSERVER ''
Which is expected on the server side.

Please help me work around it or fix this bug, there shouldn't be a need to buy a wifi router, a bluetooth access point or a dedicated data plan on a cellphone just to compensate for this overlooked option.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #171
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
having problems

I am having problems with my PB360 all of a sudden. Its screen keeps on going dark. Its not off, its more like the color is inverted? but not entirely because its not really readable.

Anyway I have a picture of it on this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124125

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #172
drcain
drcain began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Pro
Exclamation VERY SERIOUS HANG ISSUE WITH 902 Pro

Hello,

I have very serious problem with Pocketbook 902 Pro.
When I turn the reader on, it hangs on the "Bookland's" page, and never boots completely. It's also not accessible from the PC.

This is second time this happened - I have returned the first Pocketbook 902 in 7 days after purchase with the very same issue, they have sent me a new one - this happened again to new one again after 7 days. So there's no use getting a new one as it is clearly a software issue and will happen again to any Pocketbook 902 Pro.

So far nothing I found in other threads (and other websites) helped. I've made a quite extensive research on this topic.

Interesting thing is, that the firmware update still works (the OS must be alive then), so I have tried all possible firmware versions (2.0.3, 2.0.4, 2.0.5, 2.0.6) and their RU, NA, EU alternates - with no luck - the pocketbook still never boots completely and hangs on the "Bookland's" page (same with every firmware, with or without SD card, plugged or unplugged).

Can anyone please address this issue?

I've seen everybody talking about the "hard reset", but nobody mentions a correct button combination.. anyway - it would be GREAT to know what the heck is going on during the last stage of booting and why it can't continue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
drcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #173
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Tried disconnecting the battery for a while ? could help.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:36 AM   #174
donbex
donbex began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcain View Post
I've seen everybody talking about the "hard reset", but nobody mentions a correct button combination..
The hard reset button is inside the little hole marked on the left of the earphone plug. You have to for it with a pencil tip or something like it.

Hope this helps.
donbex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:45 AM   #175
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcain View Post
Hello,

I have very serious problem with Pocketbook 902 Pro.
When I turn the reader on, it hangs on the "Bookland's" page, and never boots completely. It's also not accessible from the PC.

This is second time this happened - I have returned the first Pocketbook 902 in 7 days after purchase with the very same issue, they have sent me a new one - this happened again to new one again after 7 days. So there's no use getting a new one as it is clearly a software issue and will happen again to any Pocketbook 902 Pro.

So far nothing I found in other threads (and other websites) helped. I've made a quite extensive research on this topic.

Interesting thing is, that the firmware update still works (the OS must be alive then), so I have tried all possible firmware versions (2.0.3, 2.0.4, 2.0.5, 2.0.6) and their RU, NA, EU alternates - with no luck - the pocketbook still never boots completely and hangs on the "Bookland's" page (same with every firmware, with or without SD card, plugged or unplugged).

Can anyone please address this issue?

I've seen everybody talking about the "hard reset", but nobody mentions a correct button combination.. anyway - it would be GREAT to know what the heck is going on during the last stage of booting and why it can't continue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi,
this problem normally occurs only after loading bigger amounts of books on your device, and seems to be related to internal organization of the database. If you have your books on an SD card try removing it and boot again, it should then start in the main menu. If you have it back to life shut down and insert the card, after starting up give it some minutes and then enter your library via "Favourites".
With my 602 this worked 100%.
If you have only internal memory I would suggest a Hard reset with FW update. Don't know how it's done exactly, but It's oftem mentioned in similar threads and also describe somewhere in the manual. Otherwise contact support. After that,
GET AN SD CARD ASAP

Bye...
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #176
savingtrees
savingtrees doesn't littersavingtrees doesn't litter

Device: 603
yes troll is probably right. The last stage of the booting process is the point where the system looks for the books you've stored on your device and where it creates the database. Although it appears to you that nothing happens it is very likely that in the background the system is pretty active trying to rebuild the database. This can take hours (let's say up to 20 hours).
Most people report this after they have deleted all the books which were supplied with the ebook reader.

The big question is: have you deleted a lot of files recently? or added a large number of books?

If the answer is "yes" then it is very easy to fix: You just have to be _very_ patient and it will fix itself.

Let us know what the answer to the question mentioned above is. I can provide you thread to some success stories.
savingtrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #177
drcain

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Tried disconnecting the battery for a while ? could help.
This is something I also figured by myself and tried to disconnect the battery for cca 15 minutes - but it didn't help. I will try it again now for several hours to see wheter it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbex View Post
The hard reset button is inside the little hole marked on the left of the earphone plug. You have to for it with a pencil tip or something like it.
That's just a reset/reboot button. It deosn't help with this at all. What I would like is a "hard reset" in terms of "back to facktory defaults".

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Hi,
this problem normally occurs only after loading bigger amounts of books on your device, and seems to be related to internal organization of the database. If you have your books on an SD card try removing it and boot again, it should then start in the main menu. If you have it back to life shut down and insert the card, after starting up give it some minutes and then enter your library via "Favourites".
With my 602 this worked 100%.
If you have only internal memory I would suggest a Hard reset with FW update. Don't know how it's done exactly, but It's oftem mentioned in similar threads and also describe somewhere in the manual. Otherwise contact support. After that,
GET AN SD CARD ASAP
Well I have my books on SD card ONLY, so if it was the issue you mention, one would think taking out the SD card would take care of this problem, but it won't, so it must be something else.

As I've mentioned alread - FW update is still possible, I have tried every availabe FW, but with no luck. In every similar thread like you mention tehere is alwyas someone like you talking about hard reset, but NOBODY knows how it's done on 902 :/
Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #178
drcain

Quote:
Originally Posted by savingtrees View Post
yes troll is probably right. The last stage of the booting process is the point where the system looks for the books you've stored on your device and where it creates the database. Although it appears to you that nothing happens it is very likely that in the background the system is pretty active trying to rebuild the database. This can take hours (let's say up to 20 hours).
Most people report this after they have deleted all the books which were supplied with the ebook reader.

The big question is: have you deleted a lot of files recently? or added a large number of books?

If the answer is "yes" then it is very easy to fix: You just have to be _very_ patient and it will fix itself.

Let us know what the answer to the question mentioned above is. I can provide you thread to some success stories.
Hello savingtrees,

Yes, I've done some cleanup of unwanted books in the device memory recently, but it had worked for a while after that. All my personal books are on SD card only, so when the SD card is out, it should not try to rebuild the DB from it.

OK, I have two things to try now:
1. try to let the DB rebuild itselfs (I will keep the book on for several hours stuck on the "bookland's" page)
2. I will take out the battery for several hours

I will let you know the results.
Thank you, I really apperciate all of you guys trying to help.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #179
savingtrees
savingtrees doesn't littersavingtrees doesn't litter

Device: 603
Of course I'm not an expert but I would think that there is no big difference if you leave the battery out for 15 minutes or for several hours. But leaving the device turned on for a very long time on the bookland page seems to me far more promising.
Rebuilding of the DB is necessary especially because you've delete a few books. So although they are not there anymore the DB will look for them and apparently the deleting process is rather time consuming.

But since you've mentioned that you've deleted many books it is very likely related to your issue. I will post later some links to a few threads which show that it can actually take a very long time..
savingtrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #180
drcain

Quote:
Originally Posted by savingtrees View Post
Of course I'm not an expert but I would think that there is no big difference if you leave the battery out for 15 minutes or for several hours. But leaving the device turned on for a very long time on the bookland page seems to me far more promising.
Yeah, for me it sounds good as well. I have now put the SD card back in, plugged the pocketbook into usb (so it doesn't run out of power during DB rebuild or whatever it needs to work out) and turned it on.. I will keep it like this at least for another 24 hours or until something changes.. thanks for the hint.