Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #61
stxopher
Nameless Being

Of course! Efficient AND deniable! Built in angst and a fallback reason on why my writing is...well, let's just say I refuse to read my work to the dog anymore until he quits rolling his eyes after the first couple paragraphs.

Now the software can be blamed. (Silly dog has NO technical skills and won't know the difference when I tell him.)
Old 10-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #62
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Of course! Efficient AND deniable! Built in angst and a fallback reason on why my writing is...well, let's just say I refuse to read my work to the dog anymore until he quits rolling his eyes after the first couple paragraphs.

Now the software can be blamed. (Silly dog has NO technical skills and won't know the difference when I tell him.)

dog, obviously, has no sense of propriety...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #63
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The new version of WriteWay Pro (1.9) is a significant enhancement to a very fine program.

It's very sophisticated and polished, and has a wonderful way of tracking your writing goals.

Also, you don't need to import or export text: Just simply print it from within the program, fully previewing your document in Draft, Document, or Galley mode (and printing in any one of those three modes, if desired).

WriteWay Pro works on the idea that scenes comprise a chapter, and this is how one works on a story or novel.

There's also a Storyboard button and a Characters button that one can use to create characters and character traits, filling in the necessary information as it suits the writer. Or simply ignore it.

The Storyboard is very versatile and can be viewed in different ways, showing either Book Notes, Act Notes Chapter Notes, or Scene Notes.

There's also a Research window, where one can record linked websites or just fill in information, as desired.

There's a lot more here - and I should probably contribute some screen shots - but this is starting to turn into a mini-review. It's a fully mature program and is a joy to use.

I'm not affiliated with the program or the programmer.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-26-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:20 AM   #64
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
No one has mentioned "focuswriter" yet. I love its simple interface, the way it opens up to where you left off. I also find the "daily goal" quite a useful feature.

Completely free for Windows / Mac / Linux: http://gottcode.org/focuswriter/

Last edited by mukoan; 11-27-2010 at 06:34 AM.
mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #65
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Zen Writer looks like a simple and elegant text editor and it's being offered for free today at http://www.giveawayoftheday.com. Its website doesn't have much information but it's probably enough: http://www.beenokle.com/zenwriter.html I haven't used it yet but thought someone might be interested.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #66
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
How the heck did I miss this thread before?

I use Kate, which is a notepad equivalent used in Linux distributions with a KDE frontend. Just remember to set the line endings in the open/save preferences to "DOS/Windows" instead of "UNIX" to make things work properly with Smashwords and other sites.

Gedit is also nice, but I don't remember if it can do DOS/Windows line endings by default. I know you can manually set it when you save the document. Gedit is a lot more primitive than Kate in most respects, but its also available for a lot more platforms since Kate is KDE-specific.

For compiling the final document, I use either OpenOffice or LibreOffice. OO on the laptop which is still running Kubuntu 10.04- the last Kubuntu version to ship with OO- and LibreOffice on the desktop. By compiling from a .txt file, I'm able to sidestep a lot of the "making Word cooperate" issues mentioned in the Smashwords style guide.

I make my covers using GIMP, with a lot of extra filters and plugins installed. If I can't find a public domain image to do what I want, I either pay an artist or go out and shoot my own photo.

Kate and OO/LO are bundled with any release of Kubuntu. GIMP and gimp-data-extras aren't part of the standard loadout, but can be installed from the Kubuntu repositories using either kpackagekit (in 10.04), Muon (11.10 and later), or the command prompt. All are free to download and use.

Last edited by teh603; 01-26-2012 at 09:40 AM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #67
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Scrivener all the way if your are a Mac user. It's the perfect way to organize all of your thoughts, ideas, notes, research, various drafts, create character list, and compose in a non-linear fashion, which is pretty much how most of us write anyway, and then you can compile your work in a variety of different options.

What's also cool about it, is that you have different starting templates that you can use for each type of work--so if you are doing a novel with Parts and Chapters, then there is a template for that; if you are writing a Screenplay, then there is a template for that; if you are writing short stories or poetry or a stage play or a non-fiction (such as essays or research papers, etc)...there are templates for those types.

Oh, and did I mention it also has this cool little "cork board" feature, which allows you to brainstorm with scenes on notecards and mix-match them on a cork board and rearrange them on the fly, depending on how you are pacing your narrative, etc.

And it's not that expensive either. I think just $45, and worth every penny. I use it for all my novels and scripts (both stage and screen), and have ever begun to start using it for poetry and song lyrics.

Last edited by aecardenas; 01-29-2012 at 07:23 PM.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #68
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
We're still using LyX ( http://lyx.org ) on Ubuntu here for our writing, for pBooks it's just too easy. For eBooks I dump to HTML and then fine tune it in vim.

For covers, I mostly Inkscape ( http://inkscape.org ) due to the great quality but infrequently require GIMP to do some image touch-ups.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #69
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I've been using the Windows Scrivener and like it a lot. I'm very fond of the ability to highlight a piece of text, right-click, and send a copy to another section of the document. Great for character notes.

@MrPLD, that's a really lovely cover in your avatar!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #70
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
@MrPLD, that's a really lovely cover in your avatar!
Thank you so much for saying so, lovely to hear, it was an interesting one to do. Now I wish we'd just have the book out already
Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #71
StueyNZ
StueyNZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I use Emacs and DocBook. But then I'm a software kinda guy, so customising the DocBook XSL stylesheets to produce a half-way decent .EPUB file is not an imposition.
StueyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #72
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by StueyNZ View Post
I use Emacs and DocBook.
What sort of sick person uses emacs? Everyone knows vim is better Holywar in 3...2...1...

(just kidding - great to see other hardcore people out there )
Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #73
BryanThomas
Scribbler of stuff.
BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.BryanThomas can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: none
MS Word and Notepad++ to do the HTML/CSS bit.
BryanThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #74
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
I chew words into a gooey ball and spit them at a rough wall. Whatever doesn't fall off, I call the edit.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #75
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
So I just tried using Geany, and it seems to be a little better than Kate in a few areas. It uses GTK instead of Qt, so it works better in distros with GTK frontends. For non-Linux users, that doesn't mean much other than I can use it in frontends other than KDE.

Feature- wise, its mostly the same as Kate. Line numbers, the ability to create windows- style .txt files by default, and it has a built- in word count which Kate doesn't have.

There are Windows and MacOS ports as well as the main Linux builds. Dunno what their default line endings are, though.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote