Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Looking for a book ;-)

I Know it is almost impossible, but is there anyone who can help me?

It is about a book i read some time ago, cant remember title/writer :-(
It is about a government run operation to cover up all 'weird' magic/undead/psych abilities and other stuff connected. One of the story plot-points that maybe gives a clue is the scene that the main character climbs a ladder to change the board that says xxx days without vampires.
It was a secret department hidden behind a coffee-shop/cinema..
The main character has the ability to 'see' (relive?) the past of certain items he touches, and has a partner that can see dead people.
It is a humorous kinda story i liked a lot, and wanted to find out if he/she had wrote some more.

Hope someone can help me out here!

Thanks a lot in advance..

Wilco
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
There is another thread here you might want to post this in.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I will be interested when you find out. It sounds like something I would like.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post
I Know it is almost impossible, but is there anyone who can help me?

It is about a book i read some time ago, cant remember title/writer :-(
It is about a government run operation to cover up all 'weird' magic/undead/psych abilities and other stuff connected. One of the story plot-points that maybe gives a clue is the scene that the main character climbs a ladder to change the board that says xxx days without vampires.
It was a secret department hidden behind a coffee-shop/cinema..
The main character has the ability to 'see' (relive?) the past of certain items he touches, and has a partner that can see dead people.
It is a humorous kinda story i liked a lot, and wanted to find out if he/she had wrote some more.

Hope someone can help me out here!

Thanks a lot in advance..

Wilco

Sounds like an interesting premise. Let me know the title when you find out what it is.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, i made a new post in the tread mentioned, if and when i find out what book / writer it was, i will also post here ;-)
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
It sounds an awful lot like the basic set up for Bureau 13, which was actually a role-playing game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau_13

It did have a few novels written for it, none of which I have ever read, so possibly it might be one of those.

Fictionwise has them:

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/a450/Nick-Pollotta/?

(So does Amazon, actually for cheaper)

Not really enough of the blurb to tell if that's what you read or not. Perhaps not, but certain in the same vein

Last edited by JeremyR; 11-22-2010 at 06:59 AM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
Roos
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
It sounds an awful lot like the basic set up for Bureau 13, which was actually a role-playing game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau_13

It did have a few novels written for it, none of which I have ever read, so possibly it might be one of those.

Fictionwise has them:

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/a450/Nick-Pollotta/?

(So does Amazon, actually for cheaper)

Not really enough of the blurb to tell if that's what you read or not. Perhaps not, but certain in the same vein
Nope, not those, but thanks, i will get the first part to see if i also like it!
The one i read has a more 'bureaucratic' secret agency, there desks are constantly filled with piles of forms to fill out ;-) No high priced tech gadgets, more like a total lack of it (money is always running tight, budget cuts are the day to day reality), and a lot of inner department struggle , also a very old society that takes the guy in (works kinda in/with the department), but i can not remember what it was called :-( i think i would be well on the way of finding the book if i did.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Okay, another idea (and more books I haven't read). Maybe the E-Branch trilogy by Brian Lumley?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Branch_Trilogy

It's got a guy who talks to the dead, anyway (the whole Necroscope series does, actually)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Roos
Groupie

No, also not it :-)
But i will also look around for part one and see if i like them. I get the tantalizing feeling we are getting close..
Old 11-29-2010, 03:48 AM   #10
Roos
Groupie

I have found them! Anton Strout, Dead to me & Deader still! Lots of fun with rereading them atm.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:59 AM   #11
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Interesting. Looks like the third ("Dead Matter") one is out already, too, with a fourth one planned.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #12
Roos
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Interesting. Looks like the third ("Dead Matter") one is out already, too, with a fourth one planned.
Thanks! I will run to Amazon and see if they have it already