Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
need help jumping on the nook bandwagon

Hi, I already have another 5" reader, but the $50 nook price cut is so tempting - as I always love the 6" nook screen better. Can someone help with these questions before I jump on the bandwagon:

1. Everybody is talking about the $50 gift cert with purchase of a nook, but I don't remember I saw that in local B&N store and cannot find anything like that on bn.com, so is this already ended? if it is still in effect, is it only applicable when you purchase a 3G nook or it also works with the new wireless version? where can I find the deal?

2. Can the nook rotate a PDF file (reading horizontally)? If yes, does it work for text based file only or does it work for scanned image PDF also?

3. Can the nook zoom in (enlarge) a scanned PDF file (basically images)?

4. Can I put more fonts to the nook and have it set as default for epub file?

5. Can I upgrade the built in English dictionary at all?

Many thanks.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
the gift cert promo has ended with the advent of the price reduction.

the PDF's do not rotate to landscape

the rest, yes since it's an android OS you can root and hack away
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
kdittyr
uber noob
kdittyr began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iPhone
I purchased my nook last night at Best Buy and they did give me the $50 gift card. I seem to remember hearing that it had ended, so you can imagine my surprise when they gave it to me.
kdittyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Thanks boswd and kdittyr.

I tried the nook at bestbuy today and the salesperson even let me try my own microSD card with Chinese epubs, and it worked perfect (I did .css in Calibre for the epub to substitute one system font). Boy, was I happy, I was totally blown away by the quality of the unit. Having heard so many negative things about the software, I was more than surprised by the performance - the text highlighting function (such as for looking up a word in the built in dictionary) is still way too slow to be useful, and I hate you have to exit the book you are reading to start or stop the mp3 playing, and I dont like the setting of font size/type affects all the books (hope in the future they can allow each book to have different font size/type setting and remembers it), but aside from these, I dont experience any other issues, the page turn and book opening is not as slow as I had imagined. I am definitely going to buy the wifi only version when it comes out - and hopefully by that time the $50 gift cert is still there (it lasts till July 03 in my local bestbuy) and that will effectivly bring the price down to $100, can't beat that!
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
SinCityReader
SinCityReader began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Kindle3 3g Iphone
[QUOTE=Sylver;975722]Thanks boswd and kdittyr.

I tried the nook at bestbuy today and the salesperson even let me try my own microSD card with Chinese epubs, and it worked perfect (I did .css in Calibre for the epub to substitute one system font). Boy, was I happy, I was totally blown away by the quality of the unit. Having heard so many negative things about the software, I was more than surprised by the performance - the text highlighting function (such as for looking up a word in the built in dictionary) is still way too slow to be useful, and I hate you have to exit the book you are reading to start or stop the mp3 playing, and I dont like the setting of font size/type affects all the books (hope in the future they can allow each book to have different font size/type setting and remembers it), but aside from these, I dont experience any other issues, the page turn and book opening is not as slow as I had imagined. I am definitely going to buy the wifi only version when it comes out - and hopefully by that time the $50 gift cert is still there (it lasts till July 03 in my local bestbuy) and that will effectivly bring the price down to $100, can't beat that![/QUOTE

Regarding the gift card, that ended when the price dropped. You might find a few Best Buy's who don't know. Like a couple of people have, but I'm sure by the end of the week there will be a memo to all Best Buy's letting them know the $50 gift card offer is no longer valid.
SinCityReader is offline   Reply With Quote