Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #76
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Well actually, no, it is not good business for Verizon, but obviously good business for Apple, in the short term possibly. If it was "done on purpose" then Apple is crippling their customer's business advantage "on purpose".
Wait, you are arguing on behalf of the carrier and not consumer?

End of article said:

Quote:
Having your phone arrive unlocked isn't news for the rest of the world—many other countries, most notably France, have laws mandating the availability of unlocked mobile phones regardless of whether or not those phones are under contract.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #77
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Wait, you are arguing on behalf of the carrier and not consumer?
Obviously, since it was the carrier that got shafted. And, I am not arguing, but just making a statement of facts as I have seen them.

BTW, I happen to be in "the rest of the world" and I have never bought a SIM locked phone because I don't do carrier contracts, and have always used pre-pay service.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #78
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Obviously, since it was the carrier that got shafted. And, I am not arguing, but just making a statement of facts as I have seen them.
Once the user has signed contract, Verizon has them, whether they move carriers or not.

At end of contract, Verizon really wants that they buy new phone.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #79
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

More reviews (maps, battery life, etc)

http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2012/...ecommendation/
Old 09-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #80
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
At end of contract, Verizon really wants that they buy new phone.
Now you are rationalizing. Verizon could not care less if they buy a new phone, especially an Apple iPhone, since the profit margin is razor thin on the iPhone to the carrier. What any carrier wants is to renew the contract, and the lack of a SIM lock removes one of the incentives to renew the contract.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #81
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Well, I meant new phone with new contract.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #82
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Well, I meant new phone with new contract.
There is normally a paring of new phone and new contract, but the vastly more important thing for the carrier is the New Contract.

The phones are only the enticement offered to reduce "churn." (Customers switching servicies.)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #83
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Quote:
Its map database isn’t perfect either. But if you plug in a street address, you can pretty much count on Maps taking you to the actual corresponding map location, via streets that probably actually exist. Just don’t ask it to find a location without an address.
Wow, so much confidence! Just hilarious!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #84
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:

BTW, I happen to be in "the rest of the world" and I have never bought a SIM locked phone because I don't do carrier contracts, and have always used pre-pay service.
The best theory I've read on the unlocking is that Verizon was not permitted to lock the phone to comply with the conditions they agreed to when they obtained some additional LTE spectrum:

Quote:
Verizon iPhone 5's must be unlocked! - FCC
I've been reading up on the open access provisions in regards to the C-Block of 700 mhz LTE spectrum. There is a very specific line saying that a licensee(Verizon) cannot configure devices to be locked against use on another network. This means that Verizon would be violating Federal law if the iPhone 5's sim slot is even partially locked. Unlike on the iPhone 4S - these regulations mean that Verizon must even allow an AT&T sim card to be used in any Verizon iPhone 5.

The relevant law is found here in the Code of Federal Regulations
Title 47 - Telecommunication. CHAPTER I - FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION (CONTINUED). SUBCHAPTER B - COMMON CARRIER SERVICES. PART 27 - MISCELLANEOUS WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES. Subpart B - Applications and Licenses. § 27.16Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands.

Take a look at this : (e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.
From here: http://www.howardforum.com/showthrea...-unlocked!-FCC
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #85
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
The best theory I've read on the unlocking is that Verizon was not permitted to lock the phone to comply with the conditions they agreed to when they obtained some additional LTE spectrum:
Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember something like that back during the spectrum sales events. If that is really the case, then it is a bit curious that Verizon referred the Associated Press reporter to Apple and Apple refused to respond?
Old 09-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #86
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
My Verizon phones don't have Sim Cards. They use CDMA which is integral to the electronics. They could never work with AT&T.

Is this something new?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #87
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
My Verizon phones don't have Sim Cards. They use CDMA which is integral to the electronics. They could never work with AT&T.

Is this something new?

Yes, the basic fallback Verizon network is CDMA and still does not require SIM cards. The new Verizon LTE network is an evolution derived from UMTS which does require a SIM card like standard GSM phones do. The iPhone 5 is LTE capable, so it requires a SIM card to function on an LTE network.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #88
tango7
fully engaged
tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, kindle touch
what advantage to use verizon phone on at&t?
thought verizon better
tango7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #89
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I am glad that I don't have an iphone 5. I like the aspect ratio and size of the older model, which I have. This might be the first post-Jobs screwup for Apple, leading them slowly back to where they were before Jobs took back over the company. Apple themselves tested and found that 4:3 was the most usable aspect ratio. Besides skinnying up the phone is reactionary and not evolutionary. Apple is supposed to be the leader, not the follower.

As for ios6 I like it (not the maps of course), the do not disturb feature is awesome. That is the most important change for me because now I don't have to worry about forgetting to button down the hatches on my iphone (lest I be waked by notifications or texts) in the middle of the night.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #90
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Apple themselves tested and found that 4:3 was the most usable aspect ratio.
Just to be pedantic: The previous iPhones have a 3:2 aspect ratio. The iPads have a 4:3 aspect ratio. Most of the Macbook line has a 16:10 aspect ratio except the Macbook Air 11" which has a 16:9 aspect ratio.

That said, it is indeed a huge change
pata is offline   Reply With Quote