Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
That came from KoboJason, Kobo Vox Product Manager here It's not likely customer care reps are privy to future plans, or would be allowed to divulge them if they were.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
tardisrosedalek
tardisrosedalek began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Evidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
That came from KoboJason, Kobo Vox Product Manager here It's not likely customer care reps are privy to future plans, or would be allowed to divulge them if they were.
I would still prefer some evidence of this, rather than assuming that he does work for Kobo and what he says is true.

Whilst I do hope it is true, what sort of time frame do the updates come at?

Sylar
tardisrosedalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tardisrosedalek View Post
I would still prefer some evidence of this, rather than assuming that he does work for Kobo and what he says is true.

Sylar
I don't doubt that Jason is with Kobo, but I have a feeling he's Sales, not Engineering, i.e. a politician, if you get my drift.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #19
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tardisrosedalek View Post

Sylar
Matt Clements (not on MR--more privately) has confirmed that Play functionality is scheduled for a future release. He is a tech big gun for Kobo. Updates are not on a schedule. Kobo staff is very careful in their communication here, and elsewhere. They do not leak information to anyone, as far as I can tell, and they do not talk about release dates in advance.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #20
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Matt Clements (not on MR--more privately) has confirmed that Play functionality is scheduled for a future release.
I hope to hell they plan to have a WHOLE lot more in that future release, as Play functionality on the Vox alone won't fix the glaring shortcomings of the device.

What amazes me is a unit like the original Nook Color, a unit with almost identical specs as the Vox, manages to perform leaps and bounds beyond what the Vox is capable of doing. All comes down to efficient software programing I suppose.

Cheers
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #21
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
really looking forward to getting google play access on the vox

add the ability to search my library and my niggles have almost gone
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
Abacus63
Abacus63 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300, Kindle, Kobo Vox
Has there been an update that lets us into google play? If so, I missed it because I still do not have access. However, the Vox description on Kobo's site says:
"Popular apps like Facebook® and RDIO® come ready to go and Google Play offers over 500,000 hot music, video and game apps" (http://www.kobo.com/ereaders/kobo-vox.html#full)
Which I interpret to mean that I should be able to access those 500,000 apps...
Abacus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #23
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Looks like marketing got ahead of engineering (again). :P
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
I wonder when they changed that, so hopefully we can expect an update soon.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #25
Odieman
Enthusiast
Odieman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
I noticed it (access Android Market sic) on a POS display at Toys R Us about two weeks ago
Odieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #26
Abacus63
Abacus63 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300, Kindle, Kobo Vox
Here's the response from Kobo support:
"We apologize for the misinformation provided on our website, however, the Google Play store is not yet available on the Kobo Voz as we are not fully certified by Google. Please continue to check for updates as it may become available in the near future."

So, they shouldn't be promoting it...
Abacus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #27
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus63 View Post
Here's the response from Kobo support:
"We apologize for the misinformation provided on our website, however, the Google Play store is not yet available on the Kobo Voz as we are not fully certified by Google. Please continue to check for updates as it may become available in the near future."

So, they shouldn't be promoting it...
OR JUST DO IT ALREADY! LOL
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #28
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
that sucks, hopefully soon
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I submitted a query to help@kobobooks.com asking about whether or not there was an upcoming update, or if the mention of Google Play on their website was just blatant false advertising.

Here is the monumental joke of a reply I got:

"Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. Unfortunately Google Play is not supported by the Kobo Vox, as it runs on "Honey Comb" and the Vox runs on an Android system."

The Kobo CS department strikes again!
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #30
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
So, I get your frustration but, glass half full, that's really encouraging. Clearly the marketing folks are working with "slightly ahead of their time" scripts. Google, as I understand, has to certify every device for access to Google Play; perhaps there is a bottle neck as they are prepping for the Google IO Developers Confernce June 27.

I've been reasonably satisfied with my Kobo Vox. When I bought it (late Oct 2011) it was $200 and there was nothing in the local market close to that price as an Android tablet -- good luck finding anything under $400 at the time.

Plus, I bought it as an "all purpose e-reader" with benefits. I have been using it, almost daily, since then ... a track record I wish every tech thing I have bought could match. (It hasn't displaced my Kobo Touch which I still prefer for most of my Kobo content.) I read Kindle books on the Vox (I can't recall the last time I switched on my Kindle 3 -- otherwise a very well engineered e-ink reader); I read library books on the Vox; I do masses of Sudoku; I take the Vox on holiday and use it as a web browser which works well with Opera Mobile; and Facebook; and GMail. Oh, and I also read some Kobo content there, too.

Google Play will help -- I ought to be able to get my Scotiabank app running. But then again the Android tablet space is quickly morphing to dual CPU and, most importantly, Ice Cream sandwich (Android OS 4.0); things like Chrome only run there. I never expected the Vox to run ICE and won't be disappointed because ICE apps won't run on the Vox.

The Kobo Vox is not perfect ... but in context of when it was released and what it has actually delivered for me on an everyday basis, it's been a pretty good device. I'll definitely add Play when its available.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 06-12-2012 at 04:40 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote