Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #106
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I thought that had been fixed. What firmware are you using?
The current one for the aura h20 and it's the same issue on the KA1 with its current firmware.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #107
Zaroff
Connoisseur
Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I think the battery issues are software related.

Jack
Possibly yes. After what I described above, I let the A1 charge for the full day while I was at work. I came back to 100% charge, read for a couple of hours+, let the night pass, read for about one hour today, and I'm at 87%, which is I think really good.

So, provided it holds and I don't have any surprise drops, it seems to have taken care of itself. Rather strange, still.
Zaroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #108
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
K, you might not want to think in terms of using the battery until it gets to zero charge.

Which begs the question! What is the lowest recommended charge level before recharging?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #109
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
K, you might not want to think in terms of using the battery until it gets to zero charge.

Which begs the question! What is the lowest recommended charge level before recharging?
The battery won't be on zero charge when the gauge reads zero. It'll be calibrated such that when it reads zero, the battery charge is well above the safe minimum at which it can be recharged. If any manufacturer were daft enough to release a device on which "zero meant zero", they'd be replacing bricked devices left, right and centre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #110
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
It takes a few discharge then charging cycles to calibrate state of charge indication so it's accurate. Before that state of charge indication is real conservative to prevent damaging battery.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #111
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I formatted my KA1 and went to factory settings. It is interesting to note that I have not turned on wifi or setup wifi at this point. I used the kobo desktop to update and configure my reader. I patched using the current patches but have not set the string to turn off periodic sync. With no wifi on and no network connection there seemed little point. Battery life is dramatically improved. It's been two days and I'm at 79% so that's with a couple hours of reading with the light on continuously. I find it easier to read that way.
At any rate will see what happens. But it's looking to be a wifi issue that's draining the battery.

Regards

Jack

Last edited by jackastor; 09-19-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #112
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Yes, but that's not a standard, USB-C is. I still think it's a missed opportunity on Kobo's side not to make USB-C. Better yet, add Qi wireless charging! Though, I'd have to get a second charging pad then
It's an ebook reader. Ereaders are not going to be leading the charge on USB-C. That's up to smartphones. In a year, all new smartphones will come with USB-C as standard and then we won't have the problem of needing to get a completely different cable for one single device that you only need to charge once every three weeks.
I'm looking forward to getting a USB-C equipped Kobo Aura One 2.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #113
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
It's an ebook reader. Ereaders are not going to be leading the charge on USB-C. That's up to smartphones. In a year, all new smartphones will come with USB-C as standard and then we won't have the problem of needing to get a completely different cable for one single device that you only need to charge once every three weeks.
I'm looking forward to getting a USB-C equipped Kobo Aura One 2.
Except it will be Kobo Aura Mach 2
Old 09-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #114
Zaroff
Connoisseur
Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.

Quote:
...But it's looking to be a wifi issue that's draining the battery.
Jack
I'm not sure. I never, ever use the wifi, I only set it up to upgrade the FW, and after that didn't turn it on again, and I still see dramatic plunges in battery life/percentage at times.
So, unless said FW is devious enough to turn wifi on on its own to try and sync etc, I don't see how the wifi could be the cause of battery draining.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #115
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaroff View Post
I'm not sure. I never, ever use the wifi, I only set it up to upgrade the FW, and after that didn't turn it on again, and I still see dramatic plunges in battery life/percentage at times.
So, unless said FW is devious enough to turn wifi on on its own to try and sync etc, I don't see how the wifi could be the cause of battery draining.
That's the theory. Turning it on once was enough to enable the battery drain. Regardless of the workaround for the auto sync.

Regards

Jack

Last edited by jackastor; 09-18-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #116
manxam
Enthusiast
manxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheese

Device: Aura HD, Aura One (2nd warranty)
I've had two Aura One. One I purchased from Chapters in store but the screen backlight turned basically full red when in night mode and made it extremely annoying. Also, the touch screen was off by several pixels.

The auto backlight and auto nightmode adjusted very quickly though.

Without editing the AutoSync settings and just turning off WiFi the battery life was fantastic. I returned this one due to the backlight colour and ordered from Kobo (as Chapters had no more).

This new one has much better screen colouring but is quite slow to respond to lighting / night mode and often times won't do anything until I open the settings and then I can watch the slider move.

The battery life on this on has been terrible, going from 90% at night to 15% in the morning. On this unit I have WiFi off and edited the kobo config for auto sync.

I suspect I'm in need of a warranty replacement from Kobo on this.

I really like the format of the reader but am less than impressed after two devices and now will likely need to get a third.

How does one request a return from Kobo?

Last edited by manxam; 09-18-2016 at 03:38 PM.
manxam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #117
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxam View Post
The battery life on this on has been terrible, going from 90% at night to 15% in the morning. On this unit I have WiFi off and edited the kobo config for auto sync.
m, I experienced the same sequence. My problem was solved by turning on wifi and signing off in <settings> <accounts> then signing back on with the kobo.com ID/password then re-editing the kobo config for auto sync false and turning off wifi and sync again.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #118
Zaroff
Connoisseur

Quote:
That's the theory. Turning it on once was enough to enable the battery drain. Regardless of the workaround for the auto sync.

Regards

Jack
That would be such a bizarre bug... But thanks for the heads up. Can you confirm over the next couple of days that your battery life remains solid? If yes, I'll do your procedure. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #119
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I'm experiencing the power drain. I took my fully-charged Aura One to bed, read for about an hour and a half--had autos to off, read with 8% light. Put it to sleep, light went off.

Opened it up this afternoon and it was at 9% battery.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:24 AM   #120
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Power drain - my personal experience

If it helps: just had it for one week. Read one book, recharged it yesterday and I noticed an 11% drain in an hour and discovered that even though the wifi was off, the KA1 was trying to synch and there was no way to stop it, but to start it up again.

After that the synch was not there anymore.
I topped it up and did some work on the books I had loaded on it (about 1400, 203 pages). There should have been 400 hundred fewer of them, but also the ones which were not downloaded appear, thanks to the disappearance of the option for not showing them.
Anywat, just paging through them, to check for doubles between epubs and kepubs, which means turning slightly more than 200 pages, plus some activities (very few) and the battery went down to 91%.

Thus if 200 pages = 9%, 100% of battery might be good for 2000 pages. I do not believe it will ever be like that, though, because of the consumption of power for the lighting and other issues which have already been mentioned.
Even the, apparently, if well used, with no synch and no wifi, the battery should not be so bad. We shall see at the practical level, I would like to be able to read more than one book (I know it depends on the number of pages), with one charge, we'll see if I can.

Last edited by brudigia; 09-19-2016 at 01:27 AM.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote