Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #76
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I haven't re-charged since Friday. Initially I charged for 4 hours by the wall outlet. I'm at 38% after ~8 hours of reading. I have Wi-fi on, auto-brightness on and natural light on. The light has been about 10% on average. I've also done more than reading by pressing lots of options to check out all the settings and figure out how things work, browsing on the bookstore, downloading Overdrive books, etc. I briefly connected by USB to my computer a few times to authorize with ADE & transfer a 3M library book as well as to transfer a few books via calibre. I didn't leave it connected for long to charge much.

EDIT: I also had the sleep setting at 15 minutes, which I didn't change until last night to be 5 minutes. Since it's new and I was playing around with it so much I wasn't using the sleep cover or putting the reader in sleep mode when I walked away from it.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 09-12-2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Added more info
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #77
whenthedarkfalls
whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I let my device fully deplete then charged it for 4 hours. I turned of wifi and auto sync. Before I went to sleep, the battery was 97%, 12 hours later 96%. I think it has to do with the sync and wifi always on . Since, I don't need both , I am satisifed with keeping them off for now.
whenthedarkfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #78
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I haven't re-charged since Friday. Initially I charged for 4 hours by the wall outlet. I'm at 38% after ~8 hours of reading. I have Wi-fi on, auto-brightness on and natural light on. The light has been about 10% on average. I've also done more than reading by pressing lots of options to check out all the settings and figure out how things work, browsing on the bookstore, downloading Overdrive books, etc. I briefly connected by USB to my computer a few times to authorize with ADE & transfer a 3M library book as well as to transfer a few books via calibre. I didn't leave it connected for long to charge much.
So, battery life would expected to be (8h / (100-38)) * 100 = 12.9 hours of reading time, with quite heavy usage and Wifi on. The poster above has an expected reading time of about 20 hours with light usage. Average reading time would come down to +/- 16 hours.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #79
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also have auto-sync on.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:01 AM   #80
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I do of course take along a charger for my phone - my wish is not to have to worry about my Kindle running out of power, not to eliminate all chargers .
I also take a charger for my phone-which for me is also a charger for my ereader! That's the wonderful thing about non-proprietary charging cables.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2016, 12:40 AM   #81
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I also take a charger for my phone-which for me is also a charger for my ereader! That's the wonderful thing about non-proprietary charging cables.
I travel with iOS devices. I bought a small tip adapter that I can put on the end of the Apple Lightning cable and charge my ereaders. It's more efficient than carrying cables of multiple types.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:55 AM   #82
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I don't care about the thickness, but I care a lot about the weight. I'd much rather carry a portable battery pack away from recharge too long (or solar charger pack if away from power for a very prolonged time) than have a heavier device.
Me too. The oasis would be a lot more attractive to be if I didn't have to buy the included cover (and it didn't have the color gradient).
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:01 AM   #83
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
So far so good on my battery. 2nd charge was Friday night, I had about 14 hours of reading, various setting changes, getting used to the device, sleep, shutdown and still had 36% of battery life last night before sticking it on the charger again. I'm using a power plug-in w/usb - not the computer to charge.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #84
poeta
poeta is less competitive than you.poeta is less competitive than you.poeta is less competitive than you.poeta is less competitive than you.poeta is less competitive than you.poeta is less competitive than you.poeta is less competitive than you.poeta is less competitive than you.poeta is less competitive than you.poeta is less competitive than you.poeta is less competitive than you.

My Kobo Aura One definitely drains very quickly when the auto feature is one for either the brightness or the natural light, so I have stopped using either one. Seems kind of pointless to have these features if it's going to drain the battery so quickly. I used to recharge my other Kobos (Glo HD, Aura HD and Glo) every several weeks or so. The Kobo Aura One so far needs to be recharged after just a day or two. It's disappointing.
poeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #85
JFeole
Connoisseur
JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo_Aura_H2O, Kobo_Aura_One, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I think unless you read 24/7, you won't need to charge it every couple of days.

But if I do have one problem, it's the fact that it uses MicroUSB instead of USB-C... I always have trouble putting the cable in, always having to turn it over at least 3 times
Sweatpea,

I usually jus plug the cable in, then color it with an indelible ink
bright color..this way i don't have to fumble trying to figure which way is up

JFeole
JFeole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #86
whenthedarkfalls
whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeta View Post
My Kobo Aura One definitely drains very quickly when the auto feature is one for either the brightness or the natural light, so I have stopped using either one. Seems kind of pointless to have these features if it's going to drain the battery so quickly. I used to recharge my other Kobos (Glo HD, Aura HD and Glo) every several weeks or so. The Kobo Aura One so far needs to be recharged after just a day or two. It's disappointing.
Hi,

I had the same issue. Turning off auto sync and wifi did the trick for me. No battery drain anymore
whenthedarkfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:09 AM   #87
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But if I do have one problem, it's the fact that it uses MicroUSB instead of USB-C... I always have trouble putting the cable in, always having to turn it over at least 3 times
USB is the real life version of Shrödinger's Cat: It's always the right side up, and always the wrong way around, both at the same time. You won't ever be able to get it to plug it in correctly until you actually look at the connector.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:13 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
USB is the real life version of Shrödinger's Cat: It's always the right side up, and always the wrong way around, both at the same time. You won't ever be able to get it to plug it in correctly until you actually look at the connector.
Can't say I've ever had any particular issues with micro-USB connectors. The end that plugs into the charger or computer generally has a graphic of some sort to indicate the upper side, and the device end is asymmetric, and hence to tell which way up it goes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #89
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think they're referring to this phenomenon, which still happens to me all the time.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #90
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
5% battery drain in an hour would be a drained battery in 20h, so that's not too far off the figure that Kobo quote, particularly given that you're using the light at a very low setting.
I'll see when I'll have to charge, it's a far way off, based on my current indicator (no idea where people get the percentages from...)

Quote:
Can't say I've ever had any particular issues with micro-USB connectors. The end that plugs into the charger or computer generally has a graphic of some sort to indicate the upper side, and the device end is asymmetric, and hence to tell which way up it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I cheat, most of my USB cables have some mark on the micro end, I just remember which side goes up for the device. Though the one that came with my Kobo One is fairly plain so I may need to mark it myself in some way.
With so many devices, I'd have to remember per device which side is up. Some devices have the port on the bottom, others at the top.
And ever since I got my new phone, I've been hooked on USB-C, once you're used to that, that MicroUSB is annoying!

Quote:
Oh that's only when I'm away on holiday . When I'm at home it's more like a couple of hours a day. It's surprising how much reading you can get done, though, when you read while drinking coffee, eating lunch, etc.
I work 8 hours per day, lunch with the collegues, so that's 8,5 hours per day impossible reading time. I sleep another 8, it's an 1 1/2 commute (carpooling, so it's rude to read while the other is driving and impossible to read when I'm driving myself), in the morning I read the newspaper (another hour for my morning ritual). So, that's 19 hours. Then when we get home, it's about an hour and a half of food preparation and food consumption. That leaves 3,5 hours. Sometimes, I read those 3,5 hours away, sometimes I spend time on my other hobbies/cats/husband. I do read between 30 minutes and an hour a day, but usually that eats into my sleeping time And I read while waiting for the car to pick me up. And depending on the book, whenever I have a spare minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Sadly, that's not the case in my case! USB-C on my phone So I'll have to make sure I have two cables and the charger, or a charger with a converter.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote