Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2016, 06:51 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
My KA1 did fine the first 2 days HOWEVER not so overnight.

When I turned it off last night it was at 61% (which I thought was kind of low for the amount of reading I've done).

This morning the battery was totally drained. The red light has not come on but the reader is charging and now up to 17%.

I have wifi and sync turned off.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what to try now?
Do you have WiFi on? If so, turn it off. Also, when you finish reading, turn off the light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:08 AM   #32
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How can you read with such a bright light shining in your eyes?
To each his own and all that, but I agree. I actually like the automatic brightness (which I didn't expect to). In darkness, that throttles back to something like 8%, and even that is bright-ish to me. 61% is a flashlight; I find that too bright even in a well lighted room (the auto brightness goes to about 50% in such a case)

I dislike that Natural Light business, though. Lighting should be white (or as near to that as possible), not orange or red. Luckily, you can disable it.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2016, 07:16 AM   #33
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you have WiFi on? If so, turn it off. Also, when you finish reading, turn off the light.
John, Yes, wifi and sync are off.

The light shouldn't drain if the reader if off!?!

How is the light turned off? I think it's already off but maybe not. How is it turned off?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #34
black
Banned
black began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox, Libra 2
Hi,

The Kobo eReader.conf file in J:\.kobo\Kobo is reverting itself after a power off-> power on.

I cannot get the

[ApplicationPreferences]
syncOnNextBoot=false
PeriodicAutoSync=false

to stick

And it is still draining my battery. What is going on and how do I get it fixed?
Anyone any idea?

Update: Some more tests: it is reverting the date stamp of the file. The PeriodicAutoSync=false is now in a different place in the section. Hummm

Last edited by black; 09-09-2016 at 12:03 PM.
black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #35
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Automatic light - off
Natural Light timer - off
Brightness ~ 20 (sometimes lower, never higher)
Natural Light - I have it on, maybe around 50%, hard to tell since there is no numeric readout.
Wifi- off

I'm at 88% after two days. Can't give solid reading times for those two days since I just read when I could.

I think the automatic light, and the timed natural light are going to be battery drains. Especially if the natural light keeps track when the device is asleep, instead of ceasing that function and performing a time check when the device wakes up. Note this is speculation, I am not sure which method Kobo used. I would think they would use the time check on wake since it's an easy way to save battery life.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #36
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
John, Yes, wifi and sync are off.

The light shouldn't drain if the reader if off!?!

How is the light turned off? I think it's already off but maybe not. How is it turned off?
Once you put the Kobo One to sleep or power it off the light does turn off.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #37
black
Banned

So I called the Kobo department at 1-800-368-5390 and she told me that I was the first to report the battery drainage. Solution:charge it with another usb port or go to the store and swap it for another one....

To all: Please call them with the battery drainage story and make sure the message gets to the software & hardware devs as well as the CEO.

Last edited by black; 09-09-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #38
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

b, I haven't checked my firmware parameters, but the sync box is staying unchecked on my KA1. I can't figure out what made my battery drain overnight?
Old 09-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #39
petercreasey
Wizard

On the KA1, under "Sleepcover" the box was checked to automatically power off and on.

I have now unchecked the box.

Even though I don't have a sleepcover, could this box being checked cause a battery drainage?
Old 09-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #40
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Even though I don't have a sleepcover, could this box being checked cause a battery drainage?
I don't think so.
Except if you move your reader around, especially if you place the reader on metal or magnetic surfaces.
WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by black View Post
Hi,

The Kobo eReader.conf file in J:\.kobo\Kobo is reverting itself after a power off-> power on.

I cannot get the

[ApplicationPreferences]
syncOnNextBoot=false
PeriodicAutoSync=false

to stick

And it is still draining my battery. What is going on and how do I get it fixed?
Anyone any idea?

Update: Some more tests: it is reverting the date stamp of the file. The PeriodicAutoSync=false is now in a different place in the section. Hummm
The config file is written every time there is a change in configuration. I would expect it also written when powering off properly or connected to the PC. When it writes the file, it is reorganised. That is basically just sorting the sections and the options inside them, but there might be other things done. And as a rule, the only options in the file are those that are not the default values. So, the "syncOnNextBoot=false" disappeared because it is the default.

I'm not sure what you mean by "reverting the date stamp ", but the time stamp, will be UTC, not your local time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:14 AM   #42
black
Banned

G'day Davidfor,

With reverting the time of the file I meant that the modified time of the file changes back to its earlier, original time. First I thought that the file was recreated, but that is not the case since my changes are still inside -although reordered.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:23 AM   #43
black
Banned

Quick update

Something did change in KA1. After reading for a few hours, battery dropped to 93%. After a night of power down, device is still at 93%. That is good. No power drain.
I'm not sure what is going on. Did is stabilize its power usage or is it correctly calibrated?I will do some more tests. But this behavior is strange.

Oh btw, Kobo QA is working on this issue - They are trying to find what is going on by asking members of this forum some questions. I'm happy that they are actively monitoring this forum - maybe I shaked them up a bit and they woke up?
Old 09-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #44
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I experience another battery drain last night when my Aura One was on sleep mode. The battery went from 85% to 6%.

The wi-fi and auto sync was turned off, but the auto light was turned on.

I have to try with the auto light off to see if the same thing is happening.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #45
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Hmmm...I ordered two Aura Ones (one for me, one as a gift). They both arrived together. When I turned on the first one, it wouldn't update because the battery was at 4%. Several of my previous Kobo ereaders had arrived with the battery between 40% and 50%, so this was unusual. When I turned on the second one, the battery was at 43% and it updated to the new firmware immediately. For what it's worth, it seems that something is going on with the battery in some units.

ETA: I put PeriodicAutoSync=false in both .conf files, and so far there have been no further issues with battery drain. Both readers are holding a charge after 24 hours.

Last edited by icallaci; 09-10-2016 at 10:12 AM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote