Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #16
Cesca
Groupie
Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobos, iPads, Sonys
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
That's a good point - weight could be an issue. My Aura in its case is 254g. Every iPad mini is about 300g. The Aura One is 230g, but that's without a case and I reckon that would take it up to 300g territory...

The latest iPad Mini supports the reddish "night shift" which is somewhat akin to the Aura One's coloured front light. Apple's night shift works quite nicely on my iPhone.
I find the metal back on iPads very cold to the touch, so they need cases, but the Aura One has such a nice grippy rubber back, it doesn't. So you're right, that keeps it lighter.

Night shift is very similar to the Aura One's light. Another reason to get a mini 4.
They are both great devices.
Cesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #17
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I've been using an iPad Mini since they first came out after having used e-ink readers since the first Irex device, Kindle's, Sony's, etc. Using a great reader app like Marvin really allows you to customize the reading experience. For nighttime I use a black background and a cream colored font which is really easy on the eyes. The only downside to the iPad for me is the difficulty of outside use. It's just not practical at the beach, pool or general outside use unless you have good shade.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #18
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I've never had a lighted ereader so I don't expect to use that feature much, if any, on the Aura One.

How is the battery usage with wifi, sync, and lighting all turned off?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #19
JoOrwick
Connoisseur
JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2015)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
How is the battery usage with wifi, sync, and lighting all turned off?
~30 hours, maybe even more depending on your reading settings. If you're exclusively reading ebooks and you're not using huge fonts, margins and line spacing, your battery will last significantly longer due to the fact you won't be flipping/refreshing pages as often. You should also remove header and footer in the settings to fit as much text on screen as possible.

Last edited by JoOrwick; 09-04-2016 at 07:30 PM.
JoOrwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #20
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I've never had a lighted ereader so I don't expect to use that feature much, if any, on the Aura One.
Oh you will, trust me, you will. It's not just for reading in inadequate light, but to overcome the poor native contrast of e-ink screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I've been using an iPad Mini since they first came out after having used e-ink readers since the first Irex device, Kindle's, Sony's, etc. Using a great reader app like Marvin really allows you to customize the reading experience. For nighttime I use a black background and a cream colored font which is really easy on the eyes. The only downside to the iPad for me is the difficulty of outside use. It's just not practical at the beach, pool or general outside use unless you have good shade.
The reading experience of Marvin + iPad is truly the best for tablets. I have a galaxy S, which has arguably the better screen, but there's nothing for Android as good as Marvin.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #21
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoOrwick View Post
You should also remove header and footer in the settings to fit as much text on screen as possible.
Jo, sounds like valuable advice!

What could be in the header and footer (other than perhaps the page number?) that would be useful to see?
Old 09-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #22
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
The only downside to the iPad for me is the difficulty of outside use. It's just not practical at the beach, pool or general outside use unless you have good shade.
The iPad Mini 4 is supposed to be significantly better at working outside because of the screen's lower reflectance: http://www.displaymate.com/news.html#iPad_mini_4 I don't know how that compares to an eInk screen.

Last edited by chrisridd; 09-05-2016 at 02:21 PM.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The iPad Mini 4 is supposed to be significantly better at working outside because of the screen's lower reflectance: http://www.displaymate.com/news.html#iPad_mini_4
Still nothing like as good as eink in direct sunlight, though. I use my iPad a lot, but I wouldn't choose to read on it outside.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #24
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Agreed, the Mini 4 is great and better in the bright outdoor lighting than previous versions, but nothing compares to eink for bright outdoor use.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #25
JoOrwick
Connoisseur
JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2015)
Quote:
What could be in the header and footer (other than perhaps the page number?) that would be useful to see?
I think it's just the book title which is an unnecessary waste of space in my opinion.
JoOrwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:29 PM   #26
petercreasey
Wizard

I usually recharge when the battery shows a level below fully charged.

At what percentage of remaining charge might it be recommended to recharge the Aura One battery?
Old 09-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #27
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
My short version is whenever it's convenient for you. I usually try to throw it on charge after I finish reading at night when it's down to maybe a quarter left.

You can find all kinds of info on batteries that say keep it between x and y, but IMHO with e-ink (maybe not quite so much with the Aura One) you recharge so infrequently that whatever small percentage of battery length of life you gain from doing that is going to be quickly eaten up by the hassle.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:48 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The iPad Mini 4 is supposed to be significantly better at working outside because of the screen's lower reflectance: http://www.displaymate.com/news.html#iPad_mini_4 I don't know how that compares to an eInk screen.
To put it gently, there is no comparison. Even with the sun mostly obscured by clouds, the iPad Mini 4 is -- for my eyes -- pretty much unusable outdoors. Quite a bit better than my Nexus 7 HD but just not designed for sunlit areas. As usual, YMMV.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #29
petercreasey
Wizard

My KA1 did fine the first 2 days HOWEVER not so overnight.

When I turned it off last night it was at 61% (which I thought was kind of low for the amount of reading I've done).

This morning the battery was totally drained. The red light has not come on but the reader is charging and now up to 17%.

I have wifi and sync turned off.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what to try now?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
1hr reading, light on 64%, I used 5% battery.
How can you read with such a bright light shining in your eyes?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote