Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Calibre Server an iPad

I just got the iPad and added Stanza, when I added Calibre as a server Stanza recognized it right away. I did run into problems with time out on a large library (300 books?) and it wouldn't pick up the book list.

It worked fine with a small library about 25 books. Great feature but would love to get it working with the larger library, any ideas?

Thanks
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Works fine for me with a library of 5000+ items. I run Calibre from my laptop and use my iPad with Stanza.

Sometimes it slows down, but a restart of the devices generally fixes that.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

I have the same set up, glad to hear that it works fine for you, means that maybe I have something set up wrong. I'll wiat to see if anyone else has a comment.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
try increasing the timeout in stanza.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Just a heads up that with the latest iBooks release on the iPad you can now use the HTML version of the Calibre server to download books directly into iBooks.

I had been using Stanza simply because of the ability to download "over-the-air" which was missing from iBooks, but now I may end up using Stanza less.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@itimpi: You mind writing up how to use iBooks with the content server, I'll add it to the FAQ which currently recommends Stanza.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Maggie-Me
Zealot

thanks all, I'll check it

@itimpi, I would like to see that too, it would be nice to just use one "book case" in the iPad.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@itimpi: You mind writing up how to use iBooks with the content server, I'll add it to the FAQ which currently recommends Stanza.
Not much to it!
  • make sure you have the latest iBooks installed (v1.2 or later)
  • Launch the Safari browser on either an iPhone or iPad
  • Type in the URL for the Calibre just as you would for any other browser. You can optionally add the /mobile on the end but this is not necessary as the Calibre server delivers the mobile version of the web page even without it. On my system I was using http://192.168.1.95:8787 as I have the calibre server running on port 8787 and the PC running Calibre had an IP address of 192.168.1.95.
  • Find the book you want and click on the "epub" button.
  • A dialog now pops up with two buttons. One is "Open in iBooks" and the other is "Open in...". The "Open in..." button brings up a sub-dialog of any apps that have registered themselves as epub enabled (such as Stanza) and iBooks is also listed there as the first option.
  • Select iBooks via either route and the book is loaded into the iBooks library, and iBooks is started with the book you have just added opened.
Third party browsers work in a similar way although the exact dialogs can differ slightly. If using a third party browser (e.g.iCab) you can set the user agent to report itself as IE and get the none-mobile version of the web page, but I would expect most users would only have the default Safari browser installed which does not provide this sort of capability.

I can provide screenshots if that would be of help - but the process is so simple that they do not really seem to be necessary

Last edited by itimpi; 12-22-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

thanks, added.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
kkayser
kkayser began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hi, I have succesfully converted some EPUB books to MOBI and started the content server. I can see all the books in the Calibre library in Safari on my iPad. However, when I try to access one of the MOBI format, I get a message that Safari cannot download the file. How can I get the MOBI files to my Kindle app on the iPad?

Thanks.

Ken
kkayser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkayser View Post
Hi, I have succesfully converted some EPUB books to MOBI and started the content server. I can see all the books in the Calibre library in Safari on my iPad. However, when I try to access one of the MOBI format, I get a message that Safari cannot download the file. How can I get the MOBI files to my Kindle app on the iPad?

Thanks.

Ken
My understanding is the Kindle app on the iPad cannot sideload files. It can only read books it got through the Amazon servers.

I haven't tried it, lately, though. Maybe a later updated added this capability?
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
itimpi
Wizard

As you already have the books in ePub format why not use an ePub compatible reader such as iBooks? Calibre has iTunes integration for loading ePub books into iBooks via USB, and you can also load ePub files into iBooks via the Calibre content server and Safari.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
kkayser
kkayser began at the beginning.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actualy like the Kindle app the best among readrers on the iPad. Stanza doen'st have columns in landscape and iBooks is incredibly slow and anoying when turning pages. I have been able to load my MOBI files using iPhone Explorer as described on this forum. Would be a lot easier with the content server but at least I have a work around.

When Stanza gets around to adding columns, I'm sure that will be my reader of choice.

Ken
kkayser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkayser View Post
When Stanza gets around to adding columns, I'm sure that will be my reader of choice.
I do not think is ever going to happen unfortunately. There have been no new Stanza releases for some time, and no sign of Stanza support staff in their dedicated forum for many months now. My guess is that Amazon (who bought Lexcycle) have decided to let Stanza wither and die.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
Frank Lowney
frank.lowney
Frank Lowney began at the beginning.

My recent (3/5/12) experience with iBooks and Calibre server (0.8.41) is quite different. My server is at: http://grumpy.gcsu.edu:8080. I'm using an iPad 2 with the latest OS (5.0.1) and latest version of iBooks (2.0). Here's what I am experiencing:
1) Using the address http://grumpy.gcsu.edu:8080/ I get the same web UI as on the desktop. Tapping on Newest, I see a listing of 47 eBooks, however, there is no way to initiate a download and thereby invoke the "Open in iBooks" dialog. There is no redirect to the mobile UI.
2) Using the address http://grumpy.gcsu.edu:8080/mobile, I get the mobile UI with the epub buttons as described. However, when I tap any of those buttons, I get a 404 Not Found and the error message: book: 360 does not have format: EPUB. Looking at the same book in Calibre, I confirm that it is, in fact, and EPUB file and that there are no other versions of the book in another format. There is only one.
3) Using the address http://grumpy.gcsu.edu:8080/opds, I am redirected to reader.mac.com/mobile/v1/http%3A%2F%2Fgrumpy.gcsu.edu%3A808052opds. Tapping on Newest, I get a .Mac Reader Error as follows: Server Not Responding.

With Stanza at EOL and the Lexcycle web site unavailable, this is becoming a more important issue. Can anyone else reproduce my experience or, better yet, figure out what I am doing wrong on my end?
Frank Lowney is offline   Reply With Quote