Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #46
whenthedarkfalls
whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.whenthedarkfalls is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I got my Kobo on the release date. Since then, I noticed the battery drain issue overnight twice. It goes from 94% to 9% within few hours. I just read through the forum and trying to follow the turn off sync and wifi advice and will report later.

Just wrote this to make Kobo notice there are more people affected with this issue.
whenthedarkfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #47
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
w, it's way too much work; however, it ultimately can be worked around with your device.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #48
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by whenthedarkfalls View Post
I got my Kobo on the release date. Since then, I noticed the battery drain issue overnight twice. It goes from 94% to 9% within few hours. I just read through the forum and trying to follow the turn off sync and wifi advice and will report later.

Just wrote this to make Kobo notice there are more people affected with this issue.
you're better off emailing them. There are kobo officials on MR, but MR's Kobo forum is not an official Kobo support forum. It's all based on users with knowledge of the devices.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #49
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
And from what I'm seeing, the battery life IS shorter than the previous devices (which would be expected based on the published marketing specs being 1/2 the life). I read about 8 hours yesterday, light at 50%, and downloaded a bunch of stuff and I'm at about 50%. No drain during sleep. I'd call this a design decision rather than a battery problem.
I think a shorter battery life as compared to a 6 inch reader is to be expected. The ONE has a screen which is 69 percent bigger than that of a 6 inch reader, it has more LED's than most, and some way to control the color.

All of this together leads me to believe that it is very probable that the ONE has a shorter battery life than a 6 inch reader.

How long? I don't know yet. I know my KPW1 ran out of battery very seldomly. Because Collections management is so hard on the Kindles, I never put more than 5-10 books on it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:27 AM   #50
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
From the Kobo website; Glo HD: "Up to 2 months*", Aura One: "Up to 1 month*".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:30 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
From the Kobo website; Glo HD: "Up to 2 months*", Aura One: "Up to 1 month*".
Shame they didn't put a bigger battery in it. I dislike the modern trend to produce ever-lighter devices at the expense of battery life.

Kobo use the same criteria as Amazon for battery life, I believe: 30m a day reading time. So a 1 month battery life equates to 15h reading, which is not great for an eInk device. One of the selling points of eInk has always been its low power consumption, but some of these new devices, because of their battery capacity, have no better usage times than many tablets achieve. Amazon seem to be following the same road, and I don't like it at all. One of the benefits of an eInk device for me has always been the fact that I can take it away on a week's holiday and not need to bother about taking chargers with me.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-12-2016 at 06:43 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:20 AM   #52
Erich Zann
Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Nook Glowlight (2012), Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I think a shorter battery life as compared to a 6 inch reader is to be expected. The ONE has a screen which is 69 percent bigger than that of a 6 inch reader, it has more LED's than most, and some way to control the color.
A eInk screen shouldn't need any energy until you refresh the screen. If the bigger screen is used to increase the amount of text, there's less page turns, and therefore the cost of a larger screen on battery life should be close to zero.
And if people don't use the frontlight, the battery life shouldn't be reduced.

I wonder if Kobo has reduce the battery life/size in order to limit the weight (which is really small for this screen size)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One of the selling points of eInk has always been its low power consumption, but some of these new devices, because of their battery capacity, have no better usage times than many tablets achieve.
It's not entirely true. One month battery life is different from 15h battery life. Some LCD tablets indeed have 15…20 hours battery life, but not with a 30min/day on 30 days usage.
A one-month battery life may correspond to 30 to 40 hours reading time depending on how long you read in a day:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275804
Erich Zann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #53
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
The battery has stopped draining quickly with the auto sync off and the the auto light off, light set to 0%.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Zann View Post
A eInk screen shouldn't need any energy until you refresh the screen. If the bigger screen is used to increase the amount of text, there's less page turns, and therefore the cost of a larger screen on battery life should be close to zero.
And if people don't use the frontlight, the battery life shouldn't be reduced.
But most people do use the frontlight the majority of the time. It's really only if you're reading in direct sunlight that it doesn't improve the reading experience. Having WiFi turned on is also a big battery drain, and that too is a constant drain while it's on.

Quote:
I wonder if Kobo has reduce the battery life/size in order to limit the weight (which is really small for this screen size)
Without a doubt, and it was a poor design choice, IMHO.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #55
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Because collections management on the Kindle is cumbersome, I've never used it. I haven't got the inclination (nor the time, or patience) to type in and order collections on the device. Thus, I only ever had 5 books or so on the Kindle.

I would mostly connect the reader to the computer to load a new book or two, before the battery ran out. After uploading I would leave the Kindle connected to the computer.

The result is that I've only rarely seen the "Your battery is almost depleted" prompt. It often goes on for months, without being plugged into a wall outlet on purpose.

The KA1 is different. At this point in time, collections can be managed by just creating a custom column for it (or put something like "authors" or "series" in the collections field in the driver). Therefore I now already have a few collections, such as "Discworld", "Forgotten Realms", "Short Stories", "Historical", etc; and each of those contain the next few books of the type I intend to read. My reading selection on the KA1 is much bigger than on the Kindle (and it'll probably get bigger over time).

The reader will probably be connected to the computer much less than the Kindle, and combined with the shorter battery life, I think I'll be recharging it much more often.

With regard to thickness: I think companies are driving this to absurdity. I device shouldn't be 10cm thick obviously, but I dislike the trend to create devices that have a thickness of 7, 6, or even less milimeters.

The KA1 weighs in at 230gr, compared to the KPW1 at 213gr, and it has a thickness of only 6.9mm vs 9.1mm for the KPW1.

This makes the KPW1 feel much more substantial than the KA1; the Kobo feels too thin and too light for a device of that size. I don't really like using it without a cover; with the KPW1, it's still possible. I'm going to wait with using the KA1 outside the house (transporting it in my work bag, and reading in public transport) until I acquire a hard, sturdy book-style cover for it.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-12-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #56
Erich Zann
Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erich Zann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But most people do use the frontlight the majority of the time.
I don't know how most people read. My point is: when Kobo mention a reduced battery life, we don't necessary know which setting is used by the manufacturer. Is frontlight activated? And most important: at which setting? For that reason the number of LED on the One has maybe no impact on the official battery life.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Zann View Post
I don't know how most people read. My point is: when Kobo mention a reduced battery life, we don't necessary know which setting is used by the manufacturer. Is frontlight activated? And most important: at which setting? For that reason the number of LED on the One has maybe no impact on the official battery life.
I'm sure they tell you somewhere in the "small print" what settings they're using for the battery life estimate. Eg, in their description of the Kindle Voyage, Amazon say "A single charge lasts up to six weeks, based on half an hour of reading per day with wireless off and the light setting at 10."
Old 09-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #58
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Shame they didn't put a bigger battery in it. I dislike the modern trend to produce ever-lighter devices at the expense of battery life.

Kobo use the same criteria as Amazon for battery life, I believe: 30m a day reading time. So a 1 month battery life equates to 15h reading, which is not great for an eInk device. One of the selling points of eInk has always been its low power consumption, but some of these new devices, because of their battery capacity, have no better usage times than many tablets achieve. Amazon seem to be following the same road, and I don't like it at all. One of the benefits of an eInk device for me has always been the fact that I can take it away on a week's holiday and not need to bother about taking chargers with me.
As a reading device (rather than a phone which you're not likely to hold for long periods of time) I would rather go for having a lighter device. 15 hours of reading time is more than enough for me. As for going away for a week, how are you going to charge your phone if you're not bringing a charger?

Last edited by Canuck_in_Japan; 09-12-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #59
Erich Zann

As far as I can remember I was never able to discover those small prints for the Kobo device

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-h2o :

Battery Life: Up to 2 months*

* Dependent on individual usage
Old 09-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #60
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Without a doubt, and it was a poor design choice, IMHO.
Not sure if it was a poor design choice. It's something the "world" apparently is asking for. Just look at the Oasis. A very light and thin device with a horrible battery life. You want more? Add the cover, which will bring the weight up to "normal".

The sad part is, people ask for one thing but don't think about the consequences. So, they want a very light device, and then complain that the battery isn't as heavy as they wanted. Or a very thin device and then complain that it's not rigid enough to fit in a pocket without bending.

For me, I would have preferred a thicker device. So, I will get a nice book-like cover for it, that will add that thickness. About the battery, I'll have to see, but so far, I've no problems about it. It's still full, even after my normal dosage of daily reading. Which isn't as much as I'd do on a holiday (other hobbies and other things like work eat my time too), but based on the emptyness of my battery now, that'll be way more than 15 hours (and I only read with the light on)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote