Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #16
WzeroMN
WzeroMN began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
How to detetmine if bad install? Apps seem to run ok but Market downliad is horrible.
Ihas beeb hours to get maybe 15 megs of data. Worse than dialup. In Native a download
of 500k book in say 10 seconds!
WzeroMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #17
WzeroMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That is not necessary. The Google apps can be added at any time. Since Wi-Fi should be properly configured before the Goggle apps are installed they really should not be installed during CM7 initial install.

That is extremely strange, since CM7 is very fast and the newer versions have graphics acceleration enabled. The stable release, update-cm-7.0.0-encore-signed.zip, is a real pleasure to use. Did you install CM7 on an SD card of a decent speed class, or just a cheap department store SD card? Even with class 4 cards, I have not seen CM7 to be anywhere near as slow as you describe.
It is not necessary to install on internal memory to get good performance, it is just more convenient IMHO.

CM7 on the Nook seems to run at roughly the same speed as Froyo on my HTC Desire, but the Market downloads are definitely faster with CM7 on the Nook.
A 50 to 1 difference in performance obviously indicates something seriously wrong with your CM7 install, since the difference in hardware performance is likely to be very much less than 2 to 1.

I got it running and Kindle and Nook applications run. Where do they store a downloaded books. I cannot find it anyplace after removing SD card to get back to original use.
It is not in the Nook internal memory and I do not find it on the Android CM7 card which is 8 gigs with 115,463,965,and 5.91 GB shown in Manage but only the Boot partition shows in Computer when inserted in PC. I assume it is in one of those partitions not recognized by windows 7. Is that correct.

In nay case the apps run OK but download of a K book took around 5 minutes so that is not too great. It does give me the ability to read Kindle books on my Nook and that is great.

I do not think I will be buying too many though at that performance and also there is no Search function that I can see. No search button on the CM7. Maybe I have to add some more things.

My SD card runs at 8Megs/Sec according to windows so I do not think that is the problem.

Last edited by WzeroMN; 04-21-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Forgot about card speed
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by WzeroMN View Post
I got it running and Kindle and Nook applications run. Where do they store a downloaded books. I cannot find it anyplace after removing SD card to get back to original use.
It is not in the Nook internal memory and I do not find it on the Android CM7 card which is 8 gigs with 115,463,965,and 5.91 GB shown in Manage but only the Boot partition shows in Computer when inserted in PC. I assume it is in one of those partitions not recognized by windows 7. Is that correct.
I do not know where your apps are storing data, but I have my CoolReader 3 book reader setup to get it's books in /books on the SD card. The logical SD card in the system that you are describing is the 5.91 GB partition on the physical SD card. You are correct that Windows cannot read that partition. That is because the boot partition of the SD card is active and the logical SD card partition is inactive as far as Windows is concerned. There are a few different ways to get around that problem, but one of the easier ways is probably to use an application like MyPhoneExplorer ( http://www.fjsoft.at/en/ ) to access the SD storage while it is mounted by Android. Another way would be to use USB and configure Android to display the SD contents via USB.
Quote:
In nay case the apps run OK but download of a K book took around 5 minutes so that is not too great. It does give me the ability to read Kindle books on my Nook and that is great.
I have no idea why your downloads are so slow.
Earlier you were saying that video was also slow, and that is definitely not normal for the current releases of CM7.
Quote:
I do not think I will be buying too many though at that performance and also there is no Search function that I can see. No search button on the CM7. Maybe I have to add some more things.
Of course there is a search button. Android comes from Google. On CM7 the home screen search button looks like a magnifying glass at the bottom left of the home screen. It is just up and to the left of the physical "N" button in portrait mode. Of course there is also that huge search widget at the top of the central home screen in the default CM7 configuration.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #19
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
It says do not change the name but should I have unpacked it or leave it in the zip form before writing to the card. I did not unpack. Unpacking would change the name so I am a bit confused here.

This is the file.
update-cm-7.0.0-RC2-encore-KANG-signed-20110320.zip
The file that you are using is not CM7 Stable (which is update-cm-7.0.0-encore-signed.zip) - I, like many others using CM7 stable, have very snappy response from the SD Card - I'm running off of a 16Gb generic Samsung card that came with a Sammy phone.

I suggest that you reformat the card, and using Winimage32, re image with the stable CM7 image - i believe that you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #20
WzeroMN

I Will start over. Video has not been slow. Only downloads are really bad. Applications run almost as well as my EVO but not nearly as well as the Nook Factory.

I will try this time without including the apps file on the first time through. I tried that before but it did not seem to install.

One thing missing in the instruction set is the exact UI sequence. What buttons to push when and where on the device they are located.

My question about the N button has not been answered or I missed it. Is it the button directly across from the power button or is it the Horseshoe shaped button. I assume the former but am not positive.

Thanks to all the help here.
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #21
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My question about the N button has not been answered or I missed it.
You missed it. The "N" button is the button shaped like the lower case letter "n". It is just above the micro-USB port.

If you are going to start over I would suggest starting with the actual stable release of CM7 that emt mentioned so that any future questions will refer to same release that other people are using.

Last edited by Dave_S; 04-21-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #22
WzeroMN

Thanks Dave. I am starting over and I will use the stable. I thought I was.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #23
WzeroMN

Installed exactly according to directions and no improvement. Download speeds are really abysmal. It will take an hour or more to get about 12 megs or so of applications.

I have not retired a book yet but am not optimistic.

It is not the card as this is much slower than the card can handle. It runs about 3-4 Megabytes per second.

The screens and applications run very well. It is just the abysmal download speed.

My Connections is megabits per second from Charter.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #24
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Hope this isn't thread jacking too badly, but on the previous page, someone asked about my dualboot on internal memory setup for CM7 and stock. These are the steps I followed for dualboot of CM7 and Stock (rooted) from internal memory (emmc), with the CM7 as the primary installation. If I boot w/o holding any buttons when powering on the Nook, I boot to CM7. If I boot and hold the "N" button while powering the Nook, I boot to my "stock", but rooted installation.

By having the CM7 on the primary partitions, I can easily update my CM7 w/ new builds or kernels w/o affecting the stock partition, and w/o having to wait for any tweaks to the CM7 zip file to be able update.

The one (possible) downside, is that when B&N finally issue their update. I will need to backup my CM7 installation; reinstall the B&N stock (rooted); and then update to the newer B&N software. I will then need to root; and then setup my dualboot environment; and restore my CM7 installation.

These are the steps I followed:

1 - follow steps to get rooted (I used autonooter 3.0 to root B&N 1.1).

2 - download Clockwork "ROM Manager" from the market

3 - run "Rom Manager" and select the option to "Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery" (CMR). If it asks, select Nook Color, NOT "old" nook color

4 - reboot NC (I've heard this step can help prevent bootlooping when first installing CMR.

5 - download from the "dualboot" thread on XDA the following files:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=959461

- prep-dualboot file (this will shrink the "media" partition (folder) to create room for the second installation
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20480343/prep-dualboot-0.1.zip

- flashable zip to move your stock Eclair to dual boot partition (this is used to copy your rom from the stock partitions to the second partitions.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20480343/ecl...hable-v0.1.zip

6 - download the version of HC7 and gapps that you want to install from cyanogenmod.com. You can use the actual CM7 release, or even a nightly build (more beta).
http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/nook-color

google apps for cm7:
http://android.d3xt3r01.tk/cyanogen/...307-signed.zip

7 - make sure that all the .zip files you have downloaded in #5 & #6 are in the "root" directory of your sdcard. If you download them straight to your nook, they will probably end up on the sdcard in the "\download" directory. It is easier if you move them (using a file manager) to the "\" directory.

8 - run "rom manager" from the NC and select "Reboot into Recovery"
- use volume keys to select "install zip from sdcard" and hit the N button
- select "choose zip from sdcard" (hit N)
- select the "dualboot prep" zip file and click "yes"
(note: the power button will take you back a level in the menu tree)

9 - after the dualboot prep completes, use the same process to "install zip from sdcard" and install the "eclair to dualboot" zip.

10 - back out of the menu tree in Clockwork Recovery (power button) until you can select "reboot system now"

11 - it should boot into your original stock (eclair) installation

12 - power off the NC

13 - Hold down the N button while powering up (only hold the power button for about 5 seconds, the N button can be held a little longer). You should now boot into the second stock installation (I don't know how you confirm that this is what you booted into, but you want to make sure it boots).

14 - run Rom Manager and select "boot into recovery" (note: you can also boot into recovery by holding the volume up AND down button in while powering up the NC. This is because the normal way to boot into recovery while powered off because the N button now boots to the second installation).

15 - from Clockwork recovery, install the Cm7 zip; and then gapps zip. then reboot

16 - YOU should now see the CM7 boot logo. It will take awhile to boot on the first time. you will want to get wifi setup so the gapps will install properly.

17 - power off and hold the N button when you reboot to verify the stock installation.

WINNING!!!!

18 - you can now download some of the updated kernels, or newer builds for CM7 and use Clockwork recovery to flash them w/o needed to tweak them for installation to SDcard or for installation to the 2nd internal memory partition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevraziel View Post
@jasoraso

Could you please explain how to dual boot CM7.0.0 stable and stock B&N, both on eMMC. Right now I run OCed CM7.0.0 stable on a 8GB sd card. And I have non rooted B&N stock OS. Do I need to root the stock OS and install CWM first.

Thanks.

Last edited by jasoraso; 04-22-2011 at 06:59 PM.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #25
mikevraziel
mikevraziel began at the beginning.

Thanks jasoraso!

Clear and well written guide. I will give it a go when I can find time. Right now I am running CM7.0.2 and Stock 1.2 (non rooted). The CM7.0.2 is on the SD card. It would make sense to move CM7.0.2 to eMMC as I use it as the main OS most of the time. Except when on flights where I prefer the battery life on the stock OS. I guess when CM7.0.2 has the power drain issue fixed, I wouldnt mind wiping out the stock :P
mikevraziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #26
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Installed exactly according to directions and no improvement. Download speeds are really abysmal. It will take an hour or more to get about 12 megs or so of applications.

I have not retired a book yet but am not optimistic.

It is not the card as this is much slower than the card can handle. It runs about 3-4 Megabytes per second.

The screens and applications run very well. It is just the abysmal download speed.

My Connections is megabits per second from Charter.
I would be willing to bet it IS the card. I tried running Froyo and honeycomb (before CM7/gingerbread was available) from the SD Card. The slow downloads were crazy. I think it is because it is downloading to a cache (on the sd card) and then copying the file to the actual file (on the sd card). That means it is doing 2x the writes simultaneously. Other o/s interactions weren't slow, but web/downloads were. I was using a class 6 card.

When I switch to froyo installed on my internal memory, I was amazed at how much faster the downloads were.

For me at least, I'm sure my card was a bottleneck.

Since then, I've switched to only using the internal memory (using the dualboot setup described 2 posts up) and it is MUCH better for me. Maybe a faster card would have solved it; but I like this setup even better (I can swap cards on the fly - with my camera in which I use a microsd card in a sd card adapter etc.)
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:33 AM   #27
jyl
Enthusiast
jyl began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK, JE200
hi, i posted this in another thread but no one seems to know about this, so i'll ask this here too.

I'm currently running cm7 on sd card, but my problem is, my sd card isn't recognized by my pc. when i plug the cable in, the pc (windows 7 os) only recognizes the internal memory. Do you have any idea why it does this? Does it have anything to do with my brother doing the cm7 install in a mac?

Another thing, can we update the version of cm7 even if it's on the sd card? if so, how?

thanks!
jyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #28
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I got it done. The secret seemed to be to include everything on the card the first time including the apps. Maybe it was just a retry.

In any case it is totally useless in my opinion. Downloads are incredibly slow. Respone is not good on screens. Maybe internal memory would be better but I am not going to take that route.

If I want a good tablet I will just wait until I can afford to buy an iPad2. For now I will just read Kindle on my HTC EVO. Response is at leastr 50 times faster than the Nook.

It is probably the sd card you are using. They make a big difference in the performance and worse, the key specs are not shown before you buy it to be able to know for sure what would be a good card in advace.

For example see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post12964262 which shows a benchmark that shows a class 2 card greatly outperforming a class 6 card for small random writes which is a key spec needed here, and not the sequential writes spec that would be the key spec for use in a camera for example.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #29
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
If I want a good tablet I will just wait until I can afford to buy an iPad2. For now I will just read Kindle on my HTC EVO. Response is at leastr 50 times faster than the Nook.

I'm scratching my head here. You were expecting CM7 running on a crappy SD card to give you performance comparable to the iPad? That's just wishful thinking, far removed from reasonable expectation. Nothing will beat internal memory, even though there are cards that perform extremely well.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #30
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
hi, i posted this in another thread but no one seems to know about this, so i'll ask this here too.

I'm currently running cm7 on sd card, but my problem is, my sd card isn't recognized by my pc. when i plug the cable in, the pc (windows 7 os) only recognizes the internal memory. Do you have any idea why it does this?
I ran CM7 from an SD card for a few days before using it to replace the B&N internal system. You will not be able to see anything except the boot partition of the SD card when you plug the SD card into a PC. That is because the other 3 partitions are marked as inactive. When the SD card is booted up in the Nook there are several ways of seeing the SD partition. One of my favorites was to use MyPhoneExplorer via WiFi to access the SD card. You should also be able to tell Android to show the SD partition as a USB storage when connected by USB. You should be able to find that control in the status bar after the Nook is connected to a PC via USB.

Quote:
Does it have anything to do with my brother doing the cm7 install in a mac?
NO

Quote:
Another thing, can we update the version of cm7 even if it's on the sd card? if so, how?
thanks!
By following the same instructions given for the initial install. The final part of the instructions tells how to update CM7.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957