Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #91
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you use ePub, you can store the fonts once and just access them with every ePub you create.
Yes, you are correct.

And when a firmware update allows ePub to support full justification (and to suppress those page numbers), I may just do that.

-JPB
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:57 AM   #92
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
Hi i've started a wiki page on fonts confirmed working with EPUB Embedded Fonts on Sony Devices: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...Embedded_Fonts

It can save a bit of trial and error

Feel free to update it.
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcd View Post
Hi i've started a wiki page on fonts confirmed working with EPUB Embedded Fonts on Sony Devices: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...Embedded_Fonts

It can save a bit of trial and error

Feel free to update it.
Can you also provide links to these fonts please? I would like to try out the ones said not to work. But I want to make sure I have the correct versions. Thanks.

When you say that a font does not work, do you mean embedded directly into the ePub file or loaded onto the Reader?

I just added Fontin and Fontin Sans to the list of working fonts with links.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-27-2009 at 08:37 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #94
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Thanks gregcd. I am about to begin experimenting with embedding fonts into ePub, so this should come in handy.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #95
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Wiki updated.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...Embedded_Fonts
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 01:21 AM   #96
ht1948
ht1948 doesn't litterht1948 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Guys, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? My 505 doesn't display the embedded font at all. I used Fontin in this case. I copied and pasted zelda_pinwheel's code into the CCS box. I put the Fontin font files in the "fonts" folder on my reader. I used calibre to convert my ebook to epub (I'm using the beta 0.6 btw) After 3 hours of trying, nothing worked for me. Pls advise. Thanks.
ht1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:12 AM   #97
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Lightbulb Custom font test eBook collection

I made a collection of font test ebook files.

Hopefully, this will help you and other fellow e-readers to test which font they like more, and eventually use it in their own ePub ebooks.

Here it is : font test.zip

There are two ways of using it, with a major exception : PMN Caecilia is not a free font, and thus is not included in this collection. The files I made that reference it are included, in order to help people who have actually bought the font.

The book used to test the different fonts is a free book by Jeffrey A. Carver, titled Battlestar Galactica. I use this opportunity to both thank Jeffrey for his great books (most of which he gives for free) and to make a bit of advertisement for his site : http://www.starrigger.net/

Anyway, here are the explanations :

1. First way: embedded fonts
In each of the font directories (except PMN Caecilia for the reason I already explained above), you'll find a subfolder named "embedded". The file stored here is autonomous, and contains the font it means to test.
One cannot make this easier...

2. Second way: copying the font files
You need to create a /fonts folder in the root of your Sony Reader device file system.
In each if the font directories (except PMN Caecilia for the reason I already explained above), you'll find a subfolder named "fonts". Copy the files found here into your new /fonts folder.
The .epub files found in each of the font directories reference the fonts in the /fonts folder.

[edit: corrected the spelling of the fonts folder]

And a final note : the content of the .css files can be used to configure Calibre (in the conversion configuration dialog) or manually edit the .css files in other .epub ebooks...

[edit: I added screenshots !]
  • Default font
    Click image for larger version

Name:	normal.png
Views:	1121
Size:	713.0 KB
ID:	31477
  • PMN Caecilia

Name:	caecilia.png
Views:	1125
Size:	709.3 KB
ID:	31474
  • Droid

Name:	droid.png
Views:	1113
Size:	740.8 KB
ID:	31473
  • Fontin

Name:	fontin.png
Views:	1067
Size:	730.3 KB
ID:	31475
  • Fontin Sans

Name:	fontin sans.png
Views:	975
Size:	725.3 KB
ID:	31476
  • Liberation Sans

Name:	liberation sans.png
Views:	1015
Size:	734.1 KB
ID:	31472

I hope that my work will help you, please contact me if you need more help...

David.

Last edited by dpierron; 07-01-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added screenshots - corrected the spelling of the fonts folder
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht1948 View Post
Guys, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? My 505 doesn't display the embedded font at all. I used Fontin in this case. I copied and pasted zelda_pinwheel's code into the CCS box. I put the Fontin font files in the "fonts" folder on my reader. I used calibre to convert my ebook to epub (I'm using the beta 0.6 btw) After 3 hours of trying, nothing worked for me. Pls advise. Thanks.
He code will not always work. You have to dig into the ePub and see where in the CSS you'll need to put the font-family CSS style. To figure this out, look at some of the chapters of the book and you'll see what styles are used. Not all work with just the font-family in the body CSS style.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #99
gregcd
Connoisseur

I bet this would work with your book, its a bit easier than the above also:

Quote:
For people having trouble with getting custom fonts working at all, I've had some success pasting the book in to: http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/examples/full.php then copying it to word and saving as RTF. You'll loose hyperlinks but keep your formatting.
also remember the capitalisation of the "fonts" folder - this is not the same as "Fonts" in the CSS.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #100
AiBo
AiBo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
In my case I am trying to read a PDF that has Chinese. The PDF was created not by me, but a third-party. How do I add the fonts in order to read this PDF?
AiBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:39 AM   #101
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
I'm not a PDF guru, but I'm pretty sure that this format is font-independent... in extenso, you don't need the original font files to read a PDF file, because it contains the raster pre-rendered (is is Postscript?) as well as the text...

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This is a thread about ePub. PDF font embedding is off topic. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #103
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Just a suggestion for the 'which fonts work' wiki -- maybe turn it into a table that includes OTF and TTF checkbox columns. Since commercial fonts (of which a few seem to be listed) generally can come in both different flavors, it wouldn't be a bad idea to distinguish between the two. If someone likes the looks of a certain typeface, they can be sure they're getting the version that is known to work properly.

As for the OT PDF dicussion, most PDFs contain embedded fonts (or subsets of the used glyphs) and render using those--no rasterization involved (well, not until display time at least). The Chinese PDF probably doesn't have the font embedded. Cmd/Ctrl-D in Acrobat will give you a list of what fonts are referenced in it and whether they're embedded or not. If you have questions, you can PM me. I'll try to help if I can.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #104
gregcd
Connoisseur

Other candidate fonts for epubs: times new roman, constantina and cambria (last two are in office 07/ vista). These should look quite nice.

Also this free one: Linux Libertine
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Linux-Libertine

Last edited by gregcd; 07-28-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #105
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Other candidate fonts for epubs: times new roman, constantina and cambria (last two are in office 07/ vista). These should look quite nice.
I like the look of Cambria, but can you actually use it in an ePub on the Sony Reader? I've never been able to make that particular font work...
radius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fonts