Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #121
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well I spoke too soon! I replaced the font in the Sony Library directory, and in the Sony Library program itself, I can preview the book in the correct font and everything. I cleared off all the books off the reader. I sync it back to the reader and it still doesn't paginate it right. Missing sentences from one page to the next. It's like its just copying the file and not repaginating.

I have a ton of collections that I don't want to have to rebuild and what not. Do you know why it wouldn't be paginating again when syncing?
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #122
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
Do you know why it wouldn't be paginating again when syncing?
Hm... I honestly don't know, deleting the books and putting them back in always worked for me. But here's a procedure pepak mentioned that should always work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Simply delete cache.xml (or media.xml). That will force refresh of all books on the Reader.
You can find these files on the Reader's drive when you plug it in the computer.

I should probably update the guide with this information.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #123
palex481
Connoisseur

That worked! Thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #124
palex481
Connoisseur

So the only problem with deleting the media.xml is that the reader loses your place in all your books where you were when you do that. See it's like the Sony Library has a copy of the media.xml file or equivalent somewhere and when you sync down it restores this file onto your reader if you have previously synced before switching the fonts. But after you delete it, subsequent syncs don't appear to bring it back. I know this because after the initial sync my media.xml was 5,500+kb, then I deleted it, then it was 354kb after going into one book. After syncing again, it was still 354kb. So maybe the reader overrides the library after the initial sync. I hope anyhow, so that would explain my initial difficulties. It was trying to restore an old media.xml file.

And for what it's worth, I did a complete Internal Memory format before doing any of the flashing at all because I thought that would help my case, but apparently not.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #125
caphector
caphector began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone (Current), Sony PRS-505
I changed my fonts to some of my choosing and it seems to be working fine with one exception: When the reader is repaginating a book it appears to hang and does not display the circle with the spinning arrows. Is this expected?
caphector is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #126
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphector View Post
I changed my fonts to some of my choosing and it seems to be working fine with one exception: When the reader is repaginating a book it appears to hang and does not display the circle with the spinning arrows. Is this expected?
This happens sometimes and it's perfectly normal. It only appears to hang, it doesn't really. It's still repaginating, and when it finishes, you can continue reading. And I don't think this is in any way connected to your changed fonts, since I've seen it even before changing mine.

Oh and sorry I missed your post. I'm usually much faster with responses.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #127
caphector
caphector began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone (Current), Sony PRS-505
No worries, it happens.

And it did finish paginating and displayed; other books don't seem to have the issue, oddly enough. I did my conversion and transfer via Calibre, so I'm not sure what was up with that.

On further testing, it appears to only be happening with one book, and when I try to go from the largest size to the smallest it crashes the reader. Very strange…

EDIT: Figured it out; I'm using Calibre for books and there's a bug with LRF files synced with Calibre. I didn't realize it was a Calibre-related issue because it started after installing the fonts.

Last edited by caphector; 04-07-2009 at 02:29 PM.
caphector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #128
Vanquiz
Vanquiz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Valloric, thanks for the guide, you're right, there's no way possible to make any more detailed guide than this.

I finally got Caecilia as you recommended on my 505, what a huge difference with the default, I tried Fontin for first try, and finally decided to buy Caecilia, and yes, it's the best font.
Vanquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #129
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquiz View Post
Valloric, thanks for the guide, you're right, there's no way possible to make any more detailed guide than this.

I finally got Caecilia as you recommended on my 505, what a huge difference with the default, I tried Fontin for first try, and finally decided to buy Caecilia, and yes, it's the best font.
Glad you found it useful!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #130
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Which version of Caecilia do you recommend ?
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #131
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
I purchased "PMN Caecilia® 55 Roman", "PMN Caecilia® 56 Italic", "PMN Caecilia® 75 Bold"

EDIT: I should qualify that, for the purposes of this guide, "PMN Caecilia® 55 Roman" is good enough. I got the other fonts for epub use.

Last edited by All4Fun; 05-06-2009 at 01:16 PM.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #132
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
It has been asked before. I use the Roman version.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #133
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Thanks, sorry but I had not found this post...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:26 AM   #134
halidak
El-Fakir
halidak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen), Kindle Voyage & Kobo Forma
Valloric thank you for this really detailed guide.

The reason I wanted to change fonts of my 505 was not that I dislike default fonts but I had a problem with three of Turkish characters (Şş İı Ğğ) I thought changing fonts would help me solve this problem.

My firmaware was 1.1.01.25200. So first I had to downgrade it to 1.1.00.18040. (Version.dat trick worked well). Then I followed your guide step by step and managed to change the fonts.

I used
Constantia for Swis721 BT,
Cambria for Dutch801 Rm BT and
Calibri for Courier10 BT.

It worked well or so I assumed at the beginning. Fonts of the menu and text were changed as I desired but still I did not get those Turkish characters shown up correctly and now I had this additional problem;some of my files (I was using Word Doc files and transferring them with eBook Library) caused reader to reboot.

Only after hours of playing with fonts and trying different combinations I realised that those Turkish characters I was in pursuit of were actually present inside the original fonts. That's when I decided that my problem was not about fonts.

I flashed my reader back to original firmware 1.1.00.18040 (Since there is no official installer for 1.1.01.25200 I can not update to that, I guess. OR if anyone knows a way to get back to my original firmware (1.1.01.25200) that would be much appreciated.)

Then I found here this software everybody was taking about;Calibri. I used it to convert my files to LRF and Voila! Now I can see all the Turkish language specific characters as well without a problem and if I feel to read in different font I just embed them to LRF file. One last thing, I tried same LRF file with and without embedded font and to be honest I couldn't see any much increase in page turn time with embedded fonts. (Maybe very very slightly slower but really it is nothing to mention about)
halidak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #135
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by halidak View Post
some of my files (I was using Word Doc files and transferring them with eBook Library) caused reader to reboot.
eBook Library converts DOC files to RTF files, and I believe that's where your problem came from. LRF on the other hand is very nice, and this guide was written primarily with LRF in mind.