Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #46
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Trendy, like a status icon. That's why the covers have the window on the back, so owners can broadcast to the winds that they've become a member of the club. "Me too! Me too"!.
Assuming this is the case, and I have no doubt that it is for many apple users, why does it bother you? This is what I've never understood about people who get so hot and bothered by tech products. These people who are so wrapped up in ther apple products they feel the need to show the world they use an apple product are, I assume, complete strangers to you. Why do you care?

You feel the need to advertise that you don't like apple users as much as some apple users feel the need to advertise they use apple. It's a weird dynamic caring about strangers' tech products.
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #47
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post
Assuming this is the case, and I have no doubt that it is for many apple users, why does it bother you? This is what I've never understood about people who get so hot and bothered by tech products. These people who are so wrapped up in ther apple products they feel the need to show the world they use an apple product are, I assume, complete strangers to you. Why do you care?
No reason to care in that case. But you start to care when the member in the club starts to make false technical claims. It seems to me that for many such clubs people that join suddenly starts to believe that what they have joined is technically superior without any evidence for it and very often it is a mistaken claim.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #48
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And so many people are obviously feeling so inferior that they have to keep knocking companies/products they don't use so they feel better and reinforce the superiority of their own personal choices... usually without any evidence for it...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #49
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Yes, I feel so damn inferior -- so itty-bitty small -- because my most-used tech item of the last few years is my $300+ iPod Touch 3G, which I still use every day and love, that I feel the need to knock the company that made it. Every time I pull out my Touch, I try to hide it with one hand and cower in a corner so no one will notice what device I am using.

Sometime -- most times -- it is just about the company itself.

And even if it weren't, why would anyone care that someone else is mocking an essentially inanimate thing -- irreverently or not? Unjustly or not?

Make valid or invalid counterpoints. Mock some companies yourself. But don't go around constantly whining about other peoples' right to express an opinion.

I better stop because I am becoming just as stupid as those whining about the whiners. I am becoming a whiner about the whiners who whine about others whining.

Last edited by PatNY; 12-30-2012 at 05:43 PM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #50
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

You feel the need to advertise that you don't like apple users as much as some apple users feel the need to advertise they use apple. It's a weird dynamic caring about strangers' tech products.
You misunderstand it. I'm not bothered in the least - to each their own. I'm simply stating my mind. It's a public forum after all.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #51
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Trendy, like a status icon. That's why the covers have the window on the back, so owners can broadcast to the winds that they've become a member of the club. "Me too! Me too"!.
You know there are cars that cost $180K or more, and I normally would never even consider selling a bunch of stuff or going into debt to own one.

However if I really did had the spare bucks to just say, Hey I will try out that car like that crazy movie star totaled and see if I want to drive it a few months, and then if there were people standing in the mud on the side of the road waving signs saying "that car is over priced you fool. People, in fact us, are starving and you are just wasting money."

I think, I would just throw a few hundred dollar bills out the window and watch those folks in my Platinum plated rear mirror jump into the mud to fish them out.

I certainly wouldn't fret at what they had written on the signs.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #52
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Why are you so bitter about Apple? They make many desirable overpriced products.
Bitter? Who? Me?

I'm all for there being bleeding edge producers of luxury goods. New features coming out in a 2013 Mercedes will be well-tested and refined before, ten years from now, my wife and I encounter them in a base model subcompact.

A great example, relevant for mobile reading, is Gorilla glass. Wikipedia says it was first used in the iPhone; now it's increasingly available in more downmarket products. Apple made the initial big orders that helped Corning ramp up lower-cost mass production.

My objection was to a certain style of stock market analysis.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #53
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
It's driven by our social need. We are social creatures, we have both individual and social prerogatives.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote