Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #16
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Aren't your notes and everything else stored on Mendeley servers?
No. I have them in my personal computer. You can backup them in their servers, but only if you want.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Had no idea, I was under the impression that it is a must
It lloks like I have to have a second look at that
However if that is the case I do not see why I need their app and how is that better than anything else local.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
if you want to do what you said you wanted to do, you will see.

Last edited by Salgueiros; 03-06-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
OK before I commit to anything I want to understand how it works
My feeling is that they are not answering their own question below:

Why should I register? Can't I also use Mendeley Desktop and Mendeley Web without registering?

A quick and free registration on our website (it only takes one minute, really!) is necessary to access a number of online features that really enhance your Mendeley experience:

Automatic retrieval of document details, abstract, keywords for your PDF collection from a number of external databases, e.g. CrossRef, PubMed, Google Scholar, arXiv.
One-click import from online bibliographic databases, e.g. ISI Web of Knowledge, ScienceDirect, EBSCO, ACM, IEEE etc.
Networking and sharing documents with colleagues.
Creation of groups public invite-only and totally open public groups.
Synchronize your research paper library across multiple PCs and manage it online through a web browser.
Access to research trends and statistics about the top papers, authors and journals in your academic discipline.

It is not very clear what is happening with the files.
I just installed their client, I now recall that I tried this together with many other online annotation systems (I used Diigo for a while but I gave up after discovering OneNote and "SendToOneNote" plugins for browsers)
I do not enjoy the idea of giving up information regarding my study habits, interests and anything like that
Mendeley is leaving me the impression that they are after that sort of data. On top of this the client does not seem to be available for eInk which is a big problem for me.
The annotations are limited to highlighting, rectangle and comments I if I got that right.... all in all not it doesn't work for me.
If it doesn't store the docs on their servers (if you can disable that) you should be OK but it is not OK for my eyes.
However the topic here is "reading academic papers -PDFs" and you are correct the docs are not stored on their servers.

If you are not a Apple use I see no reasons for using this app especially if you do not need to share knowledge while you study

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 03-06-2012 at 01:10 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote