Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
CandyDane
Enthusiast
CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad 4
Remove Serial No. Sticker?

First of all, this is my first ereader and I love it!!! I've had some problems figuring things out but have figured things out thanks to this forum!!!

The only thing I don't like about my reader is the serial no./scanbar sticker stuck on the back of the case. The sticker is whitish & "sticks up" from the case.

Has everyone else just peeled off the sticker? I'd like to do that but don't know if it'll cause a mess. Usually the sticker peels off easily on stuff but this seems pretty secure on the reader. Is it going to leave a sticky residue?

Here's a photo of what I mean:
CandyDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Lots of trouble if your unit goes faulty under warranty... Sony regard presence of the sticker as evidence of legally purchased unit whereas absence may indicate stolen, improperly purchased reader... others have had problems in the past with missing sticker.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Lots of trouble if your unit goes faulty under warranty... Sony regard presence of the sticker as evidence of legally purchased unit whereas absence may indicate stolen, improperly purchased reader... others have had problems in the past with missing sticker.
Ah, that explains why the decalgirl stickers leave a cutout for that area. Seems a curious way for Sony to do their policy, though.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Lots of other gadgets deal with things the same way...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Lots of other gadgets deal with things the same way...
Huh. I guess I haven't run into any (or noticed, maybe). None of my gadgets have serial number stickers on the case. (Wait, the netbook has one, but it's for the Microsoft license, not the hardware. And it's mostly illegible at this point.) It seems like it would be more practical to have it somewhere safer (like inside the case) or etched in.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyDane View Post
First of all, this is my first ereader and I love it!!! I've had some problems figuring things out but have figured things out thanks to this forum!!!

The only thing I don't like about my reader is the serial no./scanbar sticker stuck on the back of the case. The sticker is whitish & "sticks up" from the case.

Has everyone else just peeled off the sticker? I'd like to do that but don't know if it'll cause a mess. Usually the sticker peels off easily on stuff but this seems pretty secure on the reader. Is it going to leave a sticky residue?

Here's a photo of what I mean:
But if you have a cover on your 650, you will not even notice the serial number sticker is on there. if you don't have a cover, I suggest you get one ASAP. The cover will help protect the 650 against damage and it will make the 650 easier to hold. If you read in dim light or at night in bed, get the light cover. It's very good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
I didn't know that. Thanks for mentioning it. I've been tempted in the past to remove my sticker, too.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
LOL
Steve = Fail
I removed my sticker as my fingers kept running over it.
No warranty for the muppet
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
LOL
Steve = Fail
I removed my sticker as my fingers kept running over it.
No warranty for the muppet
Why are you using your reader without a cover? That's just asking for a nice drop to end up with a nice screen that leaks eink.

Leaking eink is a broken screen.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
CandyDane
Enthusiast
CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad 4
Thanks for the heads up on the warranty.

I'll eventually get a case but since I don't carry it around, I haven't done so yet. I'm not sure I want the extra volume/weight of a case for everyday use.

How about a "skin" that I've seen discussed on this forum? Would a skin cover the serial no. sticker so I wouldn't see or feel it? I really hate seeing the in-your-face-sticker white sticker on my read reader or, worst yet, feeling the sticker when I'm holding the reader.
CandyDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I just tried to lift up the scanbar sticker from my PRS-650. It came off clean with no residual or sticky substance. I put it right down afterward. You should be able to remove the sticker and stick it on some plastic product packaging and reserve the sticker there. If you do have problem with the reader and need to send it back, just peel it from the plastic packaging and slab it back on the reader. Should be fine.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
I just tried to lift up the scanbar sticker from my PRS-650. It came off clean with no residual or sticky substance. I put it right down afterward. You should be able to remove the sticker and stick it on some plastic product packaging and reserve the sticker there. If you do have problem with the reader and need to send it back, just peel it from the plastic packaging and slab it back on the reader. Should be fine.
Good idea. I'll refrain from trying it, however, as I'd probably lose the plastic packaging that I stuck the sticker onto.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyDane View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the warranty.

I'll eventually get a case but since I don't carry it around, I haven't done so yet. I'm not sure I want the extra volume/weight of a case for everyday use.

How about a "skin" that I've seen discussed on this forum? Would a skin cover the serial no. sticker so I wouldn't see or feel it? I really hate seeing the in-your-face-sticker white sticker on my read reader or, worst yet, feeling the sticker when I'm holding the reader.
If you don't get a case, you could end up breaking the reader if you drop it. You don't have to be outside home to drop it. So you should have a case regardless of where you use your reader. The case is very important. Also, the weight is insignificant. The protection you get is significant and the case actually makes the reader easier to hold.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
While that might work, it would be best to just leave the sticker in place. As the reader needs a cover, the sticker would not be an issue once a cover was in place.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
While that might work, it would be best to just leave the sticker in place. As the reader needs a cover, the sticker would not be an issue once a cover was in place.
I didn't purchase a cover for my reader yet. I did, however, purchase "accidental insurance" from Sony. If something happened, I can send it in. I am still looking for a discount on the cover though. Hopefully, the price will drop in a couple of months.

The sticker doesn't really bother.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote