Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur
lordofazeroth began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini and kindle touch
Gen3 does not open some epub files

I got a problem with some of my epubs on my Gen3 device.
Some epubs are simply not opening. The cover picture is shown but when opening the book the Gen3 reboots.

The same book on my Kobo mini works fine.
EPub is 3.2 Mb in size and about 200 pages.

Any idea why it is not loading?
converting from epub to epub in calibre does not work either.
lordofazeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur

Still having this problem.
On one epub book I simply select it to open and the device restarts.
How can I find out whats causing the trouble?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
You can try sigil for that. (ePub check).
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur

Is that a calibre plugin or a standalone software?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofazeroth View Post
Sigil is a separate program...
http://sigil-ebook.com/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
hubertphava
Connoisseur
hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, Onyx-Boox Poke5
3,2 M for 200 pages isn't normal...
I think you must "validate" your epub or installing sigil as suggested or using standalone tools like this:

http://validator.idpf.org/

thas is the "official" validator of idpf ( but has some issues ) and this:

https://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/

I prefer to use epubchecker that is the program embedded in sigil...

As you have validate your epub, you'll be able to see the cause of.

HP
hubertphava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
Flinx
Connoisseur
Flinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Cybook Muse Frontlight, Cybook Odyssey
When my Gen3 crashed on some epub ebooks, the cause were always some too large pictures. Try to look with Sigil and if the book contains pictures larger than 1024x800, try to scale them to 800x600 (for example with a graphics software like IrfanView). But the problem were not the dimensions, but the file size of the pictures. Maybe someone knows the critical size, I do not remember.

Last edited by Flinx; 02-27-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinx View Post
When my Gen3 crashed on some epup ebooks, the cause were always some too large pictures. Try to look with Sigil and if the book contains pictures larger than 1024x800, try to scale them to 800x600 (for example with a graphics software like IrfanView). But the problem were not the dimensions, but the file size of the pictures. Maybe someone knows the critical size, I do not remember.
Weirdly, I am still using mobi on my Gen 3..and never had an issue..
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofazeroth View Post
You could use the eBook Editor built into Calibre and from there validate the eBooks to see what's wrong with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubertphava View Post
3,2 M for 200 pages isn't normal...
I think you must "validate" your epub or installing sigil as suggested or using standalone tools like this:
Actually, it's not unusual. Large images and/or embedded fonts can make an ePub be that large. It's not unusual at all,
Old 02-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #11
Flinx
Connoisseur
Flinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Cybook Muse Frontlight, Cybook Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermano View Post
It were not much books, two or three of many I did read with the Gen 3, but it may be worth the check. And I did have this type of crash only with epub, not with mobi.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #12
Jayholm
Jayholm began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus; Cybook Frontlight HD
I had the same problem with my Cybook Opus. When trying to open some epub files, Opus restarted back to library. In my case problem was "too big" cover images as Flinx suggested. Some publishers uses pictures with resolution for example 1400x2112 and that seems to be too big for Opus to handle. Cybook Frontlight opens those books without problem.

I replaced cover photo in Calibre (right click - edit metadata) and converted book in Calibre (epub to epub). When I sent new file to Opus I was able to read book without problems.
Jayholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The problem is older devices cannot handle (or handles poorly) high resolution graphics. Newer high resolution Readers need these and thus, some eBooks have them and the older devices are just not going to cut it.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:32 AM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermano View Post
ditto
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote