Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #61
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@holymadness It's a very small change. I'll try and fit into next week's update.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #62
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've been using your app, kguil, since you tried to tell us about it a while back. I'm truly impressed and no longer use iBooks. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #63
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have generated a Marvin page in our wiki based on the web site. I do think a mobi reader is still warranted based on the demand for the format.

Dale
Old 12-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #64
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have generated a Marvin page in our wiki based on the web site. I do think a mobi reader is still warranted based on the demand for the format.

Dale
Me too!

Old 12-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #65
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mycurlylocks Thanks a million. I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

@dale, @jswinden I'm still sort of torn about mobi but I didn't give up on the idea. As far as the first update after the holidays is concerned, I'd like to prioritize between (1) Calibre+OPDS (2) 2-column landscape+vertical scrolling, or (3) mobi. What do you think? What would you like to see first? I'd rather go for frequent updates rather than occasional massive ones.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #66
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@mycurlylocks Thanks a million. I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

@dale, @jswinden I'm still sort of torn about mobi but I didn't give up on the idea. As far as the first update after the holidays is concerned, I'd like to prioritize between (1) Calibre+OPDS (2) 2-column landscape+vertical scrolling, or (3) mobi. What do you think? What would you like to see first? I'd rather go for frequent updates rather than occasional massive ones.
I say OPDS support first.

Art
Old 12-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #67
suzangrif
suzangrif began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim x51v/EReader
Marvin epub reader for ipad

I really like the app. I'm sure there are going to be many comments. I would like to see less room between paragraphs and multi column - especially for the ipad.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #68
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
I don't use it much - but OPDS opens up so any possibilities, so this would be my choice.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #69
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm would vote #2 (2-column landscape+vertical scrolling). I think the common user will look for the two pages in landscape mode. That's the first thing I noticed missing.

You are very wise to release smaller updates. I get extremely annoyed when there is a massive update, sometimes it makes me feel like the developer didn't thoroughly check their app before release.

Either way, I appreciate the chance the use the app.

Last edited by mycurlylocks; 12-07-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #70
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'm voting for them in the order you have them, with mobi last. I don't think its necessarily a good thing to try to be all things to all readers.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #71
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I think keep them in the order you suggested too.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #72
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
I've been testing this app and found it very interesting except lacking of:

=> Two columns in landscape mode. Yes, I know have been discussed here, but I would like a configurable column layout for landscape... and portrait. The only other app that supports multiple columns is QuickReader family of readers (basically the same reader with different menu), but it lacks any other feature and does not respect book formatting.

Why? Because you want to do fast reading, because sometimes columns are too wide to read even in portrait... I will give all my support to an app that will have that feature with the quality of Marvin...

=> Good Hyphenation. Currently the only app that does good hyphenation is CoolReader in Android or Linux (and for Spanish only with a special hyphenation file created by community). None of iOS does it well. Does Marvin know eBook language and hyphen it according to Language rules or does it in English?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #73
kguil
Addict

@rfog I'll look into making hyphenation work better for different languages. Have you got a non-English book that Marvin hyphenates badly that you can send me for testing?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #74
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Kris, btw, any plans for DeepView for languages other than English? I'd certainly be willing to help, e. g. with German.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #75
kguil
Addict

@Philantrop Definitely but first I'd like to stabilise the English version and make it as feature complete as possible. I've already done some research and named entity recognition for German seems one of the tougher nuts to crack. Thanks for offering to help. I'll certainly get in touch when I get there.
Closed Thread