Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I know that someone has already nominated Moonstone by the same author but selfishly this one ties in better with another online book club selection for June and since I am still enveloped in The Quincunx and have now also been talked into The House of Leaves I need to double up.

Plus, on a less selfish note, it looks good doesn't it?

Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
One of the greatest mystery thrillers ever written, Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White was a phenomenal bestseller in the 1860s, achieving even greater success than works by Dickens, Collins' friend and mentor. Full of surprise, intrigue, and suspense, this vastly entertaining novel continues to enthrall readers today.

The story begins with an eerie midnight encounter between artist Walter Hartright and a ghostly woman dressed all in white who seems desperate to share a dark secret. The next day Hartright, engaged as a drawing master to the beautiful Laura Fairlie and her half sister, tells his pupils about the strange events of the previous evening. Determined to learn all they can about the mysterious woman in white, the three soon find themselves drawn into a chilling vortex of crime, poison, kidnapping, and international intrigue.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I would like to nominate The Four Just Men by Edgar Wallace.
Quote:
"The Four Just Men", first published in 1905, was the novel that made Edgar Wallace famous as a writer of detective thrillers. A Spanish resistance leader's safety in England is threatened by the passage through Parliament of the Aliens Extradition Bill. The minister responsible receives a message from four mysterious figures, "The Four Just Men", warning him that he faces death unless he withdraws the legislation. Edgar Wallace maintains the suspense and excitement as the police struggle to protect the minister before the deadline imposed by the conspirators is reached.
Day of the Jackal is probably its closest modern (1971) counterpart.

Is it a classic? It is 100 years old, and still an enjoyable read.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #18
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
To make it a relevant post I like to nominate Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
I'll second this too
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #19
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
I know that someone has already nominated Moonstone by the same author but selfishly this one ties in better with another online book club selection for June and since I am still enveloped in The Quincunx and have now also been talked into The House of Leaves I need to double up.
[/I]
I'll second The Woman in White!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #20
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I would like to Nominate the book found here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=verne

Verne, Jules: The Moon Voyage

which is
Verne's two classic books "From the Earth to the Moon" and its sequel, "Around the Moon", in a single volume.

(I'm watching tom hanks from earth to the moon which got me thinking about this again, its on my to read list)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 04:45 AM   #21
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there a limit to the amount of books one can second? If not, I'll second this as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I would like to Nominate the book found here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=verne

Verne, Jules: The Moon Voyage

which is
Verne's two classic books "From the Earth to the Moon" and its sequel, "Around the Moon", in a single volume.

(I'm watching tom hanks from earth to the moon which got me thinking about this again, its on my to read list)
Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Is there a limit to the amount of books one can second? If not, I'll second this as well...
I would go with a limit of three just to be safe.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #23
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I will third Pride and Prejudice and War of the Worlds.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #24
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I nominate

Tirant lo Blanc (aka The White Knight)

It is an epic romance and epic story of the greatest knight of the 15th century Tirant lo Blanc.
This book has all the makings of a great book, there is treachery, betrayal , romance, legendary duels and great battles.
This book is considered to have had a major influence on “Miguel de Cervantes” author of “Don Quijote de La Mancha”

It’s a good read, not very deep, the story is quick paced a great view to the views of medieval Europe.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi Folks...

Sorry I didn't get this thread up myself. I've been pretty busy at work and haven't been around much. I asked in the community message section if someone could take this month but no one replied.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #26
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hi Folks...

Sorry I didn't get this thread up myself. I've been pretty busy at work and haven't been around much. I asked in the community message section if someone could take this month but no one replied.

BOb
Oh blast - I keep forgetting to check in there
Old 05-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've decided that only the seconded and thirded eBooks will get to be voted on since we have less then ten thirded eBooks. The ones that have only been nominated will not be able to be voted on. So if you want any of the nominated eBooks to be voted on, get in your seconds/thirds.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:20 AM   #28
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Hello,

can anybody nominate a book?
If yes, I'd like to nominate Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.
(even if I _can_ nominate it it probably will be too late anyway for it to be seconded, but it's worth a try

From the description here on MobileRead:
Quote:
Description from Amazon:

In a house haunted by memories, the past is everywhere ...As darkness falls, a man caught in a snowstorm is forced to shelter at the strange, grim house Wuthering Heights. It is a place he will never forget. There he will come to learn the story of Cathy: how she was forced to choose between her well-meaning husband and the dangerous man she had loved since she was young. How her choice led to betrayal and terrible revenge - and continues to torment those in the present. How love can transgress authority, convention, even death. And how desire can kill.

A masterpiece. Enjoy!
EDIT: I nominated this book because it is a classic among the classics _and_ lots of people seem to love it, so I want to read it (actually I _did_ read it a long time ago. I remember that I enjoyed it but my memories of the plot are practically inexistant).

Last edited by chlorine; 05-31-2009 at 10:03 AM.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:14 AM   #29
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
Hello,

can anybody nominate a book?
If yes, I'd like to nominate Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.
(even if I _can_ nominate it it probably will be too late anyway for it to be seconded, but it's worth a try

From the description here on MobileRead:
Anyone can nominate a book, and I'll second your nomination
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please say WHY you are nominating a book!

Thanks,
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote