Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
dogcalas
dogcalas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch over Wi-Fi to a proxy connection

I have a Kindle Touch (fully updated) and I want to access internet via Wi-fi.
But my college has a Wi-Fi with proxy, and my Kindle Touch does not support wifi with proxy.
So I wanted to know if there exists a way to tether it using a laptop.
dogcalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum. You're more likely to get an answer here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I don't think that is possible with the stock browser. Maybe with alternative browser software.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Ethereal
Ethereal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
I'm interested in this now -- seems like a problem that must have come up quite a few times! Anyone have a solution for this now?
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
midori can do it : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210437

also use the forum search for "browser proxy" and you might find more links...
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
Ethereal

I was thinking more of a system proxy, so I can access my amazon account. Hadn't thought about alternative browsers though... looks promising!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
still not a quick thing - i can hardly stand trying to surf on this thing. to me it's not worth the trouble. I like that I can, it's just to slow to be used - FOR ME.
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:58 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'd really need to be something of a masochist to want to use the web browser on the Kindle for anything other than an occasional Wikipedia lookup, I agree. It's painfully slow.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
Ethereal

I don't disagree at all! Again, not trying to use the browser but just to punch through to Amazon's servers. If that requires jailbreaking though, I'm afraid that may lead to blacklisting.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I don't disagree at all! Again, not trying to use the browser but just to punch through to Amazon's servers. If that requires jailbreaking though, I'm afraid that may lead to blacklisting.
For that, a "system level" proxy is what you need.
Do some searching here, I think twobob built one (squid).

As an alternative - -
Do you have ssh access to the network proxy you have to talk to ?

Then use ssh port forwarding from localhost on the Kindle to the network proxy you are sitting behind, AND
Setup /etc/host to direct the Amazon domains to localhost.

Haven't tried it myself, but should work in this case, where you only have to forward a few ports through the network proxy.

You might also be able to use iptables DNAT to get the packets to your network proxy.
Your Kindle probably does not have the DNAT module installed, but I am pretty sure that both I and other people built and posted it somewhere here.

- - - - -

Our (mis-named) device jailbreak only adds a single certificate file to the system which allows MR packages to be installed.

Amazon does not blacklist your device for making additions to it.

Last edited by knc1; 03-03-2014 at 10:49 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote