Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Small debricking guide for “noobs”

As Geekmaster suggested (), I'm starting a new thread with links to my
"Small debricking guide for noobs"

This way, I can update the guide when needed (new info and/or more detailed descriptions) and paste here the link.

The guide is now at version 4.

Here's the download link:
download

Here's the direct link:
preview

Please refer to Simple debricking method thread to receive help.

Last edited by silver18; 09-10-2012 at 04:48 AM.
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The "simple debricking" sticky thread first post now links here.

Discussion of the guide can be posted to this thread. Requests for debricking assistance should be posted to the "simple debricking" sticky thread, as silver18 said.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
...and paste here the link.
if you use a dropbox account and the same name for the document then you will not need to replace the link here
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
deep
Enthusiast
deep began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Nice work silver18

deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
if you use a dropbox account and the same name for the document then you will not need to replace the link here
Editing the link in the topmost post does not seem that hard a maintenance chore.
Including the version in the document name is a 'nice idea' so that people can tell at a glance if the document version is different than the one they already have.

Taking the spaces out of the filename when I mirror it is just me.
Folks using non-M$ operating systems prefer to not have spaces in the filename (although any character other than \x0 is ok).
As in:
http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/k5/Gui...e_Touch_V3.pdf
Or your choice of versions from the index: http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/k5/

Last edited by knc1; 06-09-2012 at 08:44 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Download stats, first 1/2 of June for the mirrored copies:
v1 - 100
v2 - 76
v3 - 40
Old 06-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Download stats, first 1/2 of June for the mirrored copies:
v1 - 100
v2 - 76
v3 - 40
Because this PDF document is a summary of what is already in the sticky, a lot of people download the images without the PDF document.

The images have each had many hundreds of downloads, and that is just the images I can see. Others have posted images too, which also have downlod counts I cannot see.

Including the fact that people who debrick regularly (developers) use images they already downloaded before, there may have been thousands (certainly more than one thousand) successful debrickings by now.

And this PDF file is so new, it is interesting to see that versions of it have been downloaded over 200 time JUST from the mirror (plus more from the original site).

Amazon knows we are helping them (I have spent hours on the phone with their "deep" techs discussing firmware and debricking issues). They tolerate our firmware images because they know we are helping them, but their legal staff never sent the written permission I had requested.

Anyway, let's not add roadblocks to newbies in the form of suggestions in the "poll". It is already hard enough, with needing to create an MR account to post here.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Because this PDF document is a summary of what is already in the sticky, a lot of people download the images without the PDF document.

The images have each had many hundreds of downloads, and that is just the images I can see. Others have posted images too, which also have downlod counts I cannot see.

Including the fact that people who debrick regularly (developers) use images they already downloaded before, there may have been thousands (certainly more than one thousand) successful debrickings by now.

And this PDF file is so new, it is interesting to see that versions of it have been downloaded over 200 time JUST from the mirror (plus more from the original site).

Amazon knows we are helping them (I have spent hours on the phone with their "deep" techs discussing firmware and debricking issues). They tolerate our firmware images because they know we are helping them, but their legal staff never sent the written permission I had requested.

Anyway, let's not add roadblocks to newbies in the form of suggestions in the "poll". It is already hard enough, with needing to create an MR account to post here.
I included "0" as a choice for that reason.
I just wish I could have added that: 156,000-9 "No comment" entry.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
I included "0" as a choice for that reason.
I just wish I could have added that: 156,000-9 "No comment" entry.
I did not vote (yet) because I did not see an option that appealed to me.

The site mods already said that they want to migrate to a different package, and any custom mods (required to implement some of your poll options) will make that task MUCH harder.

I did not see a poll option to let the site mods decide what they want to do.

P.S. Now this thread is "cross-linked" with the poll thread. How do you merge or migrate that?
Old 06-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I did not vote (yet) because I did not see an option that appealed to me.

The site mods already said that they want to migrate to a different package, and any custom mods (required to implement some of your poll options) will make that task MUCH harder.

I did not see a poll option to let the site mods decide what they want to do.

P.S. Now this thread is "cross-linked" with the poll thread. How do you merge or migrate that?
  • Nowhere did I claim the choices where practical to implement. In fact, it should be obvious that they are not practical to implement. It is an opinion poll.
  • I can only answer for the site package I know - it lets the forum mod cut&paste the posts of the thread(s).
Old 06-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
  • Nowhere did I claim the choices where practical to implement. In fact, it should be obvious that they are not practical to implement. It is an opinion poll.
  • I can only answer for the site package I know - it lets the forum mod cut&paste the posts of the thread(s).
I was not suggesting that you did anything wrong with the poll, other than not providing any options that appealed to my own personal interests enough for me to vote.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #12
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have 199 downloads on MediaFire, but I can't count how many times was the preview opened!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
I have 199 downloads on MediaFire, but I can't count how many times was the preview opened!
Either google-bot read it 400 times or someone is using it.
Maybe google-bot has a seriously bricked Kindle?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #14
silver18
THE NOOB

Nice!!! I should pack this guide with my ImageGallery to advertise the app!!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #15
guybrushT
guybrushT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch
Hi Silver18,

I have done a screen saver hack on my Kindle but can't update the firmware now and can't reset it so am going to use the recovery images.

My Kindle basically works and is not bricked in any way really. What I would like to know is....

Could I start at page 8 of your guide 'Place New Main partition and Copy it'?

I can get into diags mode easily using Windows in the normal way, and presumably my kernal is fine. I'm just missing a few screensaver files, and feel the best option is just to try and get back to a factory default as it were.

From page 8 could I just follow the instructions and copy over mmcblk0p1-k4-401 as this is correct for my Kindle (not the touch image file as in the guide).

Then just follow the steps through to page 11.

Many Thanks
guybrushT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking