Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
ardeur
ardeur began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, 4th Gen Kindle Basic
Newbie question: editing metadata

I discovered Calibre *after* I had purchased my Nook and uploaded about 1300 ebook onto the SDHC card I am using.

Calibre recognized my nook, and I populated Cailbre's library with all the books on the card in my ereader (this took maybe 10-15 minutes).

I want to edit author names so that there are no variations in the spelling for the same author. If I make those edits, and then upload those ebooks back onto my my card, what should I do from there... ? Will my nook recognize those changes?
ardeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
ardeur

Also... how do I edit the metadata for several ebooks at once?

For example, I have several books by the same author, but the author's name is in a bad format on all of them. I want to change the author's name for all of the books at once, so they're all consistent.
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeur View Post

For example, I have several books by the same author, but the author's name is in a bad format on all of them. I want to change the author's name for all of the books at once, so they're all consistent.
Select all the books you want to change.
Now click the Edit Metadata button:
Presto... Bulk mode. Set the Author, tick the Automatic Author Sort.
Set tags, series,

Remember: this applies to All selected books.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeur View Post

I'm betting you've figured this out for yourself already, but just in case you haven't...

Select all the books you want to edit (using shift- or ctrl-click)
Click on the Edit Metadata button in the toolbar (blue circle with an "i")
(Calibre should bring up the "Bulk edit metadata" dialogue.)

You can also click on the little down-arrow next to the Edit Metadata button and select the bulk edit option.

Link to Calibre User Manual on editing metadata
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, iPhone, iPad
Ah, TheDucks is three minutes faster off the mark than I am!

But I cleverly respond with an additional tip!:

On the edit bulk metadata page, I also regularly use the "update sort author" tickbox AND the "set titlecase" tickbox.

(The tickboxes may be labelled something slightly different -- I don't have Calibre on this machine to check.)

(Edited to add) Found a screenshot. The boxes are "Automatically set author sort" and "Change title to title case"

Last edited by hrynkiw; 04-06-2011 at 03:57 PM.
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
ardeur

Thanks! I can't wait to get try this out once I get home from work tonight.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
As for reuploading the books to the reader, that depends on whether or not you've set your save to device- template to contain the authors field or not. You can find this in preferences->send to device, if the template contains {authors}, then the path the book ist stored in on the device depends on the value of the authors field, thus, if you changed that field, Calibre will not overwrite your files, but instead create another copy.
If you want to avoid having duplicates on your device, you might want to delete all books before resending. Keep in mind, though, that this may delete your reading progress, bookmarks et al. as well.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote