Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
question about kindle and kindle content

i am wondering if anyone here is from asia and has already bought a kindle. is it the same price?

and apparently the kindle content costs $2.00 more. what i am wondering is if amazon reads your credit card number or not (to determine where it is registered. is that possible?). because if not then i may stick with a US billing address but use the local credit card to make ebook purchases (they send the invoices by email if it's a digital purchase, right?). and if i do decide to buy a kindle, i am planning to have it sent to a relative in the US but still use a local credit card.

i am rather confused at the moment.

so if my questions sound confusing do be patient with me

wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Marker
Marker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I am in the same boat to some extent.

I want my Ken dle purchase sent to my temporary US address using my Canadian credit card. It has worked several times with paper books, so hopefully it will work for the Kindle as well.

What I don't fully undersand, is if there is going to be a problem downloading books from the US Amazon site when I am in Canada. Does Amazon know I am in Canada when I donwload here using internet codes??

Don't mean to hijack your post, but the question is quite similar.

Hopefully someone will come along soon and let us know.
Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@marker: it's fine yeah, it can get pretty confusing. have you tried downloading books in amazon using your canadian credit card but with a US billing address? i want to see what happens xD;
Old 02-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
I'm in Japan. Originally my Amazon.com account was set to my Japan address and I had to pay the $2 bounty on every Kindle purchase, and there were a bunch of books that weren't available, so yuck there. (The $2 might even make sense if I were using 3G, but what am I paying for if I use Wifi...?)

After I set it to an address in the US, I have access to the full US book selection and pay normal prices. Amazon lets you add extra mailing addresses so you can ship to e.g. family members, so just set an address in the US and tell the "Manage my Kindle" page that that's where you are, and that's the selection you'll see. Just be careful of sales tax when choosing where to live. Unlike B&N, they don't check IP addresses since customers often travel overseas and want to make purchases on the road.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkledorf View Post
I'm in Japan. Originally my Amazon.com account was set to my Japan address and I had to pay the $2 bounty on every Kindle purchase, and there were a bunch of books that weren't available, so yuck there. (The $2 might even make sense if I were using 3G, but what am I paying for if I use Wifi...?)

After I set it to an address in the US, I have access to the full US book selection and pay normal prices. Amazon lets you add extra mailing addresses so you can ship to e.g. family members, so just set an address in the US and tell the "Manage my Kindle" page that that's where you are, and that's the selection you'll see. Just be careful of sales tax when choosing where to live. Unlike B&N, they don't check IP addresses since customers often travel overseas and want to make purchases on the road.
thank you! i plan to purchase the wifi-only kindle so I think it's unfair that they would charge me $2 extra on all ebooks as well D: someone said on another thread that the $2 was for data or something like that...
Advert