Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
wizzard
The Reader
wizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watch

Device: Aura HD
Calibre not communicating with Aura HD

I am using the latest Calibre v1.5 on OSX. When my Aura is plugged in it is detected but then I get a communication error.

"calibre, version 1.5.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 480, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1650, in books
OperationalError: unable to open database file"

Is this something that can be resolved?
wizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzard View Post
I am using the latest Calibre v1.5 on OSX. When my Aura is plugged in it is detected but then I get a communication error.

"calibre, version 1.5.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 480, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1650, in books
OperationalError: unable to open database file"

Is this something that can be resolved?
something is blocking access to your aura (metadata.calibre?)
Try restarting the device
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Hmm, that is a little different. The line the error occurs in is when the driver is trying to open the database on the device. This is an SQLite database. From what I can see for the error, it seems to happen when you don't have write access to the file or directory it is in. Is the device being mounted readonly?

Also, make sure you don't have the Kobo desktop application running at the same time. That would probably lock the database file and might cause this error.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Also, make sure you don't have the Kobo desktop application running at the same time. That would probably lock the database file and might cause this error.
It could also be the instability some Kobo's have where they drop off the USB bus when Calibre updates the database; my Aura HD does that so often that I have given up connecting it to Calibre directly.

@OP: can you still access your Kobo from outside Calibre after this error? If so, it isn't that problem.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
wizzard
The Reader
wizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watch

Device: Aura HD
UPDATE

The issue appears to have been my iPhone which was attached (for charging only). Once I removed it and restarted Calibre, it was able to communicate. This issue however happened only when I updated Calibre to 1.50, and not previously. I have set Calibre to ignore all iDevices.

Even though Calibre was not communicating with the Aura HD, the device was still being detected both by Calibre as well as the OS, and I was able use Calibre to eject/unmount the Aura safely. Only the database (which books are on the device) was not being updated when my iPhone was attached.
wizzard is offline   Reply With Quote