Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Why Isn't Everyone Talking about the Nook Tablet??

I have always been a fan of the NC and have placed the Nook Tablet high on my wish list! Being a Kindle and Sony user, I would like to know if I am missing something??
I am sure that I wouldn't use it much for reading, but would be getting it for quick web access. So again I ask, am I missing something?
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
As an outside (Kindle owner) observer I've been wondering that too. The Kindle Fire made a huge splash, but the new Nook Tablet seems to have only created a few ripples. I think it's a fine tablet, and yet the overall response has been comparatively muted.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Not much to say. It's only a hardware upgrade really. Some software tweaks.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Not much to say. It's only a hardware upgrade really. Some software tweaks.
So then, would you say that the NC with its reduced price be a better deal?
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think we need to see how they implemented the software with the new hardware & if there is a significant performance upgrade. I think it's a nice device though. Always have. But I've preferred the amazon ecosystem & am getting the kindle fire. I think the NC @ $149 would have been an even better deal.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
So then, would you say that the NC with its reduced price be a better deal?
I think it depends on how you want to use a tablet. Someone who wants a tablet, as opposed to a book reader that you can watch your DVD collection on, that tablet person would be happier with the more powerful hardware in the Nook Tablet. I love my Nook Color but it's Internet browser is admittedly slow. Since I work out of my home I usually use my computer to access the Internet so for me, personally, the NC does everything I want.

When the new firmware on the N+ models starts rolling out you will probably see more excitement about both versions of these high-end Nooks. The apps we can get for both versions will make the news. At that point, a lot of current NC owners may decide to upgrade.

B&N has done some innovative things with books on the NC. Enhanced books will also change the equation, especially for non-fiction and text books. Right now Amazon has nothing that can render enhanced eBooks. The one I have is a history book and even though it is an early adaptation of the potential eBooks offer I think it's very impressive what a writer/publisher has done with this technology. Depending on how that development goes I may have to reevaluate my own decision to stay put with the older Nook Color and order the more powerful model.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Right now Amazon has nothing that can render enhanced eBooks.
maybe not in their own hardware. But it works on the kindle apps. iPad I can attest too.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
As an outside (Kindle owner) observer I've been wondering that too. The Kindle Fire made a huge splash, but the new Nook Tablet seems to have only created a few ripples. I think it's a fine tablet, and yet the overall response has been comparatively muted.
If it gets rooted, then it might gain a bigger following. The thing is even had Amazon gone the walled garden route, their garden is much, much bigger than B&N's. For tablets, content availability is a big part of the equation.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
A rooted Nook Tablet will have access to Amazon's ecosystem, B&N's ecosystem, and Google's ecosystem.

I'm upgrading to the Tablet.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A rooted Nook Tablet will have access to Amazon's ecosystem, B&N's ecosystem, and Google's ecosystem.
Yeah but we won't know how easy it will be to root until it's released. If it's as easy as the Nook Color (technically, you didn't have to root since you can just run CM7 from microSD card), I'm getting one.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yeah but we won't know how easy it will be to root until it's released. If it's as easy as the Nook Color (technically, you didn't have to root since you can just run CM7 from microSD card), I'm getting one.
I doubt B&N will tamper with it. If they do, they'll lose a lot of sales.

I currently have CM7 installed internally. I plan to do a card for the Tablet.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm a nook owner, but I'm not talking about it because I just want an e-reader. If I wanted a tablet, I'd get an actual non-store/website tied device that I have to hack just to make do what I want it to.

I adored my classic and I adore my STR, but I am no more interested in a tablet/fire than I am an ipad. Just not a device for me and to me its an apples and oranges question.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #13
UnfitForDuty
UnfitForDuty began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR/Kindle3
Comparison

PCWorld has done a comparison of the specs. It doesn't sound like they've compared the actual physical devices.
UnfitForDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'm a nook owner, but I'm not talking about it because I just want an e-reader. If I wanted a tablet, I'd get an actual non-store/website tied device that I have to hack just to make do what I want it to.
A few minutes hacking to save over $150 is well worth it in my book.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #15
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A few minutes hacking to save over $150 is well worth it in my book.

IMHO, I would rather spend the $150 extra, or whatever, and get a real tablet. I enjoy my Nook Color with CM7.1 running internally, and have used it extensively for media consumption via it's micro SD card. However, the Nook "Tablet" is just missing too many required tablet peripherals to make it a necessary upgrade from the NC for me. For a "Tablet" device it really needs all, or at least most of, the other hardware specified in the Android 2.3 Compatibility Definition.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote