Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #76
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I had no idea what the capital was (I Googled it.). If asked, I'd have guessed Auckland, since that's pretty much the only place in NZ I could name.
I know the capital of Australia. It's named after that laughing bird - Cuckooburro, Australia
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #77
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
And just a test for some of you - without googling - what is the capital city of New Zealand?
Wellington.

Who needs Google, I've got a printed atlas right here.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #78
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Wellington.

Who needs Google, I've got a printed atlas right here.
I have a globe on the shelf behind me, but that would have involved getting up from my chair, and that's way more effort than I was willing to put in.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #79
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear4hunter View Post
A type of what? A truly magical device?
Oh wait, there's a fruit company in Cupertino holding a patent on things magical
Hey... it's TRULY MAGICAL. Only magic can make people stand in line for hours (or days) to spend their money on ridiculously overpriced things, they pay more for more stuffs like ebooks and be happy and proud about it!

Jobs is a wizard.. really.. even more powerful than Gandalf :P
Makes me think about that apple (tm) in Snowwhite
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:33 AM   #80
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Great to see we have such an intelligent bunch in here. Much smarter than a 5th grader.

And Apk, lots of people say Auckland. We're similar to Australia where lots of people think the capital is Sydney.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:19 AM   #81
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
And just a test for some of you - without googling - what is the capital city of New Zealand?
It's the one who defeated Napoleon in Waterloo, and besieged my city in the Spanish-Portuguese border, and appears in Susanna Clarke's "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell".

I, of course, knew it without searching anywhere, but I always had an interest in geography (I don't remember actually having to learn the capital cities until I was 14 years old or so).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #82
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
I know the answer too

EDIT: just checked and I'm relieved that I'm not too dumb

Last edited by maianhvk; 05-11-2011 at 12:00 PM.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #83
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I knew it - but it helped me that a certain fantasy film was made there
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #84
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I knew it - but it helped me that a certain fantasy film was made there
And there's another one on the way...
Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #85
kiwipippa
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It's the one who defeated Napoleon in Waterloo, and besieged my city in the Spanish-Portuguese border, and appears in Susanna Clarke's "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell".

I, of course, knew it without searching anywhere, but I always had an interest in geography (I don't remember actually having to learn the capital cities until I was 14 years old or so).
The British really got around didn't they - even to the bottom of the South Pacific.

I'm reading about Napoleon at the moment. At the age of 45 I am reading War and Peace for the first time ever, it is much less threatening on an ereader! I'm up to the Battle of Borodino and the French are now approaching Moscow. I assume it is historically accurate, really enjoying most of it...although Tolstoy does tend to philosophise occasionally.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #86
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I think every historical book is easier to understand/imagine with the map. Be it 'Three Musketeers' where they gallop around France or some victorian romace where they travel between Bath and London.

I can at least understand that peole who never expect to travel will not pay much attention to the countries on the other side of the globe, but if you buy a plane ticket you SHOULD definitely know where you are landing.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote