Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Amazon Kindle 2.0 rumors - price increase

Reading the amazon blogs, I noticed this post by Stephen Windwalker about how he understands Amazon will handle the backordered kindles and replacing them with 2.0.

http://kindlehomepage.blogspot.com/2...e-for-2nd.html

The big kicker for me was that his confidential sources say "The company's plan, it says here, is to contact these back-ordered customers in the next few weeks to offer them the chance to upgrade their order to a Kindle 2.0, at relatively small additional cost (about 10% of the existing Kindle price)."

So we're looking like the price might go back up closer to the 400 dollar mark, since I can't imagine them making that offer but having new buyers pay less.

That's helpful in a way, personally - I definitely don't want to spend 400 myself!
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
He says that there is a tremendous backlog. The shipping estimate is now 3 to 5 weeks. It used to be 13 weeks. How is this tremendous?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No idea!

Although I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that nobody had received a Kindle since - November or so? Something like that. If that's the case, than it's 3-4 months of backlog!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Stephen Windwalker seems to actually have a Kindle 2:
Quote:
Naturally, the contents of the Kindle 2.0 book are embargoed until the device is released.
He also says:
Quote:
One thing that Amazon knows is that one of the biggest sources for Kindle 2.0 orders will be previous Kindle 1.0 buyers. That's the main reason the company is presently in the middle of a firmware upgrade (1.2) to streamline synchronicity between multiple Kindles assigned to a single customer account.
Anyone have a clue what this means in practice?

An introductory price of $399 is very likely. If it is $400 or above a signature will be required for delivery, which tends to increase non-delivery returns.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
If there is a price jump, I think it would be safe to assume that they're adding something good. Wonder what it is.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

tremendous migth mean in numbers not in time... increased production or 3 a large warehouse full of kindle 2 could lower the expected delivery time.

They cant have a price higher than 400 but 399 could very well be possibe, I mean, 300-something is the standard price for a e-reader these days. If they go in to the 400s people will feel it much more expensive than sony ect but if they stay on 399 people will think it is about the same price.

Hopefully we will know on monday
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
rixte
Addict

I admit, I'm very surprised that the #1 target market are people that already have a Kindle - I can't imagine the changes that would make me want to upgrade within the space of a year. I know the first adopters have had theirs for about 15 months or so, but that still seems really fast.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Yep. I bought right when it first came out and I doubt they can tempt me into upgrading yet. It would have to have a way better screen or be a larger format for me to consider it. The currently available hardware just isn't that compelling. Personally, I'd be really surprised if their next 6" device is more expensive.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
No idea!

Although I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that nobody had received a Kindle since - November or so? Something like that. If that's the case, than it's 3-4 months of backlog!
I've heard back from several different sellers on Ebay. They reported receiving the device throughout December and January.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
I admit, I'm very surprised that the #1 target market are people that already have a Kindle - I can't imagine the changes that would make me want to upgrade within the space of a year. I know the first adopters have had theirs for about 15 months or so, but that still seems really fast.
Often, early adopters buy up and equip their family and friends.

Like I bought bigger capacity RIOs back in the day and gave the old ones to my wife and son - who while not heavy music listeners - still got use from them.

I got Kimmy a PRS-505 but I am waiting on the next generation to get E-ink for me, probably the Wizpac txtr reader.

Last edited by Phogg; 02-04-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: capitalization
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
He also says: Anyone have a clue what this means in practice?
Apparently the newer firmware (I don't have it yet) has a "go to last read location" feature that will take you to that position in a book across any Kindle on an account.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
At first I agreed with you, but then I remembered that most of us here at MobileRead are not mainstream customers. We bought an ebook reader because we like to read, not becuase it's the latest gadget.

The people who bought it not becuase they need it but because they want for one reason or another, those are the people who will rush out and order the new Kindle.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Just note at the beginning of this post he states:

"But my expectations about the company's long-awaited roll-out of the Kindle 2.0 have been firming up with the company's recent moves, and it is time to share them with you."

This is all just speculation. He doesn't KNOW anything.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Heck, I'm hoping Amazon will lure me with a new siren's sound. And we've got two PRS-505's at home now!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
this from the Amazon discussions forum.......I have no clue if they are just playing her, or even if its legit......

"""In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009 1:44 PM PST
prisrob says:
I emailed amazon to ask if I would have a choice of Kindle 1 or Kindle 2 since my order will ship after Feb 19- this is their response- whoopppeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Greetings from Amazon.com.

Thank you for contacting us in regards to when a new version of the Kindle will be released.

We've made no announcement about the next generation Kindle, so I can't answer your question. However, If I were you I would not cancel my order, and I suspect you'll be happy.

As a reminder, the Kindle now has over 210,000 books, magazines, and blogs available for wireless delivery, with no computer required.

Thank you for shopping with Amazon.com."""
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote