Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Asimovs and Analog Combo Subscription at B&N

I got an email today offering a special two-for-one "combo" subscription deal for Asimov's Science Fiction and Analog Science Fiction and Fact. It's an annual subscription deal -- at $29.90 (US) per year for both magazines, plus the 12 most recent back issues from each (24 total).

If you previously subscribed to the two-for-one monthly deal, there are instructions on how to upgrade to the annual subscription. I upgraded without any (apparent) problems.

Combo deal at Barnes & Noble

I didn't see any restrictions, but I can't say for sure it will work for everyone. Good luck!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are issues from B&N ePub or some other format?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, etc
The issues are Epub, I can import them into Calibre with no trouble. But, I had to change over to downloading the issues with the Nook Study app (I have vers. 2.1.2) for Mac. I previously used the Nook for Mac app to download them, but you can no longer download directly to your computer from that app.

I don't know if the newer version of Nook Study would have the same problems as Nook for Mac, but I'm keeping the current version of Nook Study I've had for a while now just in case (it keeps asking if I want to upgrade to the new version every time I open it).
kg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg3 View Post
The issues are Epub, I can import them into Calibre with no trouble. But, I had to change over to downloading the issues with the Nook Study app (I have vers. 2.1.2) for Mac. I previously used the Nook for Mac app to download them, but you can no longer download directly to your computer from that app.

I don't know if the newer version of Nook Study would have the same problems as Nook for Mac, but I'm keeping the current version of Nook Study I've had for a while now just in case (it keeps asking if I want to upgrade to the new version every time I open it).
So you can't just download them from your library on the website like you can with books?

Do issues stay in your account indefinitely like they did at Fictionwise (I'm assuming yes) or do they only keep a certain number of back issues like I've heard Amazon does?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So you can't just download them from your library on the website like you can with books?

Do issues stay in your account indefinitely like they did at Fictionwise (I'm assuming yes) or do they only keep a certain number of back issues like I've heard Amazon does?
I switched over to B&N after Fictionwise carried their last issues of Asimov's and Analog. It's been quite a long time since I had that problem with the Nook for Mac app and I searched online for a fix, that's how I found out about the Nook Study app. I'm not sure, but I think the problem with downloading with Nook for Mac was only with Asimov's and Analog (the only mags I get from B&N). I now download all my books from B&N with the Nook Study app as well, I haven't tried downloading direct from the website - so not sure if that would be possible or not with the mags.

I just did the upgrade to the annual subsc. combo. that cromag just told us about, so my previous monthly subsc. combo. was cancelled. Now my account says there is a problem with my order and I need to contact customer service. So, I need to get that all figured out.

I'm up to date with downloading my previous issues onto my computer and into Calibre, but I can't check for back issues now because I just did this Annual combo. subscr. upgrade and the previous subscr. was cancelled (there are now just 4 previous issues showing up in my Nook Library online, probably because in Oct. 2013 I cancelled my 2 separate Asimov and Analog subscriptions and did the monthly combo. subscr. deal mentioned back in Oct. 2013).

I assume if you go with the annual subscription and keep it going, the issues will remain in your account (I'm not sure though), and the annual subscription combo says it also comes with 12 back issues. There's a 14 day trial for new subscribers if you want to test it all out. It's probably good to always have back-ups saved every month anyway. I don't take any chances since Books on Board and Fictionwise went under, plus B&N never transferred any of my SF mags from Fictionwise over to my B&N library.

So, that was a very long winded and convoluted way of saying "I don't know for sure" to both of your questions!
Advert
Old 12-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, you can't. It doesn't give an option for downloading with a browser.

I have the Nook app on my Android tablet and download it there. I copy it to my PC and run it through Calibre to tweak the properties to better match my ereader's display, and then I copy it to my ereader.

Quote:
The oldest issue in my B&N Nook account is a little more than a year old. I think Amazon holds them for 7 months. But, honestly, I wouldn't trust them. I always copy the files for long term storage on my own media.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
cromag

Quote:
I switched over to B&N after Fictionwise carried their last issues of Asimov's and Analog. It's been quite a long time since I had that problem with the Nook for Mac app and I searched online for a fix, that's how I found out about the Nook Study app. I'm not sure, but I think the problem with downloading with Nook for Mac was only with Asimov's and Analog (the only mags I get from B&N). I now download all my books from B&N with the Nook Study app as well, I haven't tried downloading direct from the website - so not sure if that would be possible or not with the mags.

I just did the upgrade to the annual subsc. combo. that cromag just told us about, so my previous monthly subsc. combo. was cancelled. Now my account says there is a problem with my order and I need to contact customer service. So, I need to get that all figured out.

I'm up to date with downloading my previous issues onto my computer and into Calibre, but I can't check for back issues now because I just did this Annual combo. subscr. upgrade and the previous subscr. was cancelled (there are now just 4 previous issues showing up in my Nook Library online, probably because in Oct. 2013 I cancelled my 2 separate Asimov and Analog subscriptions and did the monthly combo. subscr. deal mentioned back in Oct. 2013).

I assume if you go with the annual subscription and keep it going, the issues will remain in your account (I'm not sure though), and the annual subscription combo says it also comes with 12 back issues. There's a 14 day trial for new subscribers if you want to test it all out. It's probably good to always have back-ups saved every month anyway. I don't take any chances since Books on Board and Fictionwise went under, plus B&N never transferred any of my SF mags from Fictionwise over to my B&N library.

So, that was a very long winded and convoluted way of saying "I don't know for sure" to both of your questions!
Good luck, kg3. I also canceled my monthly combo and upgraded to the annual combo. I got a confirmation on the order and no indication of a problem, so good luck!

(I also cancelled my month-to-month Asimov's and Analog subscriptions in October and switched to the monthly combo.)

Anyway, I hope it gets straightened out for you.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
kg3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Good luck, kg3. I also canceled my monthly combo and upgraded to the annual combo. I got a confirmation on the order and no indication of a problem, so good luck!

(I also cancelled my month-to-month Asimov's and Analog subscriptions in October and switched to the monthly combo.)

Anyway, I hope it gets straightened out for you.
Thanks! I'm going to try to contact them after Christmas to get it all sorted out, I don't want to deal with it before then.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
If you archive B&N magazines once, they will stay in your B&N library forever. Otherwise they will be deleted after a certain nummer of issues or a certain amount of time.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
I was able to download back issues of my magazines using the Nook for PC software. There was a download button next to each issue. Import into calibre was easy.

I found the Nook for Windows 8 software to be pretty much useless on an actual computer with no touchscreen but Nook for PC worked nicely.

Since I only subscribed starting with the double feature special back in October, I can't say how long they'll store issues on their servers.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Additional: the Nook for Mac stopped working with the MacOS 10.8 (Lion) update, and Nook Study no longer works under 10.9 (Mavericks).

I'm not sure why the user below isn't able to download their magazines from the browser--I've always been able to do that. However, when I want to liberate them, the Calibre plug-in for nook does not work for me, and I have to use the stand-alone drag-and-drop app provided with Apprentice Alf's tools.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
cromag

Quote:
Thanks! I'm going to try to contact them after Christmas to get it all sorted out, I don't want to deal with it before then.
Actally, it turns out I may have a problem.

I just logged in to Barnes & Noble to manage my account. In spite of getting a confirmation email, my order status now shows that there is a problem with the order and I need to contact Customer Service.

I sent them an email. We'll see how it goes.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
I decided to bite on this and ran into the same message about contacting customer service even though I've never had a magazine subscription from B&N ever. Seems the problem is the free trial period, this is what support finally told me:

I was able to see that the order is pending, though the payment is okay. This is still on trial period, so please disregard the message as this will go through eventually. We apologize for the inconvenience.

So apparently their system interprets the pending credit card charge (due to the free trial period) as a problem to notify you of. That's... pretty darn moronic. But at least the order is okay.

Also, because this confused me and will probably confuse others, you'll only get the current issue of Asimov's immediately, the rest take a couple of days. The E-mail you get explains it like this:

Your first issue of Analog Science Fiction and Fact will be automatically delivered to your NOOK library in approximately two days along with the 12 prior issues (24 in total) of both Asimov's Science Fiction & Analog Science Fiction and Fact.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I wish they'd offer the combo subscription in the UK. I'd switch to it from my Amazon separate subscriptions like a shot!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #15
cromag

Well, I still haven't heard anything official about my combo subscription, placed on 12/23, but I got another email saying the offer was up again, for January 8 and 9 only. If anyone wants to give it a go, the combo offer is <HERE>. This time the email came from Penny Publications, not Barnes & Noble, but specifies that the offer is available through B&N.

They may not have all the kinks worked out, but this is a very good deal!