Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #481
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
thanks for the reply. Yes, i am using the test build now, though the second patch of NuPogodi is great, so i will try to copy the kpdfview file to get the best of two worlds.
new release with NuPogodi's patches is comming
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #482
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
New release 2012.05 is available. A lot of NuPogodi's patches are included (all). The list of changes is as follows:
  • Shift+X shortcut to select page crop using top-left and bottom-right point #35
  • Shift+P shortcut to do screenshot. Raw image will be stored in kindlepdfviewer/screenshots/. (Patch by NuPogodi)
  • Document type detection for zip files. (Patch by NuPogodi)
  • Bug fix in inputbox, previously, it has issue with deleting.
  • long lines (filenames in 'Document Info') are now splitted in more human-readable way @NuPogodi
  • fonts selection in filemanager (key 'F' or 'Aa') shows how font looks like @NuPogodi
  • preserve position inside cr-documents (epub, mobi, ...) when chaning fontface or line spacing @NuPogodi
  • TOC-menu and Fonts Menu highlight the current item @NuPogodi
  • Nice icons (by NuPogodi)
  • File management functions (by NuPogodi)
  • Faster cursor in highlighting mode
  • kite support files (as suggested by NuPogodi)
We probably forgot to keep track of other minor changes, that's for you to find out :-P
Refer to the first post in this thread for the download page and the instructions on how to install.
Many, many thanks to all contributors.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #483
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony T1
I found there is a "registering fonts" prompt when starting up pdfviewer, and the font selection also felt much slower. I think the font rarely change, do we need to refresh fonts every time?

Can I delete some fonts I will not use?
dracodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #484
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracodoc View Post
I found there is a "registering fonts" prompt when starting up pdfviewer, and the font selection also felt much slower. I think the font rarely change, do we need to refresh fonts every time?

Can I delete some fonts I will not use?
It takes same time as before, but now shows dialog as soon as possible so you don't have to wonder if you started it or not.

Font selection is slower, since we have to rasterize all characters in different fonts to show how fonts look like.

You can modify kpdf.sh to remove Kindle built-in fonts (commenting out mount and umount lines).

Last edited by dpavlin; 05-29-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Explain slower font selection
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #485
aliabbasjp
Enthusiast
aliabbasjp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
Thanks for the TOC menu support!

I have maybe one little thing - when I exit the kindlepdfviewer the home screen of my Kindle is not visible (even though I can browse it) and there is still kpdfviewer, not navigable though - that means that after quiting kpdfviewer it would be great to implement "refresh page" (or I am not sure how to call it properly - I mean when the screen goes black and everything on the screen is redrawn again).

the kpdf.ini and .sh files contain fewer functionalities in this new version is it ok?
is it ok if i dont replace these file only?
aliabbasjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #486
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Actually I'm using kindle fonts. I customized a Chinese font and replaced one kindle font, and I'm using it in kindlepdfviewer for Chinese support. I'm also using PMN Caecilia LT for mobi and epub, which should be kindle font too.

So I was thinking if I can remove some non-kindle fonts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpavlin View Post
It takes same time as before, but now shows dialog as soon as possible so you don't have to wonder if you started it or not.

Font selection is slower, since we have to rasterize all characters in different fonts to show how fonts look like.

You can modify kpdf.sh to remove Kindle built-in fonts (commenting out mount and umount lines).
Old 05-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #487
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracodoc View Post
Actually I'm using kindle fonts. I customized a Chinese font and replaced one kindle font, and I'm using it in kindlepdfviewer for Chinese support. I'm also using PMN Caecilia LT for mobi and epub, which should be kindle font too.

So I was thinking if I can remove some non-kindle fonts...
I'm not quite sure. We are using DroidSans and DroidSansMono through the code, and I think that rest of fonts are required to render pdf files correctly.

You can however, turn off display on font faces in font dialog if that's your major objection. Use grep 'Fonts Menu' *.lua and modify all lines which look like

Code:
menu_title = "Fonts Menu",
and add aditional space at end like this:

Code:
menu_title = "Fonts Menu ",
This is special case for CoolReader which names fonts differently, so all fonts are rendered in same typeface. If you change other files in same way, you will turn off font face rendering.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #488
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
Quote:
This is special case for CoolReader which names fonts differently, so all fonts are rendered in same typeface. If you change other files in same way, you will turn off font face rendering.
The same could be achieved by commenting/deleting a single line
Quote:
own_face = Font:getFace(self.item_array[i], 22)
in selectmenu.lua
It's a bit buggy anyway. In general, it works properly, but i've already observed that repeating the font selection procedure several times in a raw causes kpdf to crash. ATM, I has no clue about the reasons... Probably, some issue with the memory allocation.

Last edited by NuPogodi; 05-30-2012 at 02:18 AM.
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #489
dpavlin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuPogodi View Post
It's a bit buggy anyway. In general, it works properly, but i've already observed that repeating the font selection procedure several times in a raw causes kpdf to crash. ATM, I has no clue about the reasons... Probably, some issue with the memory allocation.
Do you have that problem with current code from master? I had hope that it's related to our glymp caching which is fixed with

https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfvie...e7372bb6cc6744
Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #490
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
Without this fix, the font selection procedure (4th in a raw) just crashed kpdf so i could immediately restart it. Your fix seems to help avoiding immediate crash, but... after several cfont-changes (4 or 5) each next call of the 'Font Menu' was just slower, much slower and even slooower... finally, my K3 became totally frozen (or i need a patience exceeding 3-4 minutes) so that i've had no other choice except for rebooting K3 with a slider. I've tried this method to freeze the device at least twice - both times successfully. Well, I#ve tested it mostly for curiosity, since no one needs to select fonts 5-6 times in a raw.
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #491
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'll look into this this evening (which is about 8 hours away over here). It's funny enough that a simple rename would fix this. I guess it's a bug upon freeing the glyph data when it gets thrown out of the cache, potentially also a memory leak.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #492
dpavlin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I'll look into this this evening (which is about 8 hours away over here). It's funny enough that a simple rename would fix this. I guess it's a bug upon freeing the glyph data when it gets thrown out of the cache, potentially also a memory leak.
I did some debug profiling, and it seems that we are caching too much glymps and lua tables are not fast enough for a lot of entries since we are traversing them for each new glymp to trigger expire (which I never saw triggered in practice :-)

p.s. We should really move topics like this to issue tracker instead of spamming forum with development details.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #493
dracodoc
Connoisseur

Thanks, if the fonts are needed, I can just accept current case. I'll not change file browser font often, so it's ok even the font selection is slower. The reading font selection is not that slow.

Quote:
I'm not quite sure. We are using DroidSans and DroidSansMono through the code, and I think that rest of fonts are required to render pdf files correctly.

You can however, turn off display on font faces in font dialog if that's your major objection. Use grep 'Fonts Menu' *.lua and modify all lines which look like

Code:
menu_title = "Fonts Menu",
and add aditional space at end like this:

Code:
menu_title = "Fonts Menu ",

Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #494
dracodoc
Connoisseur

I tried several file browser font selection when I first installed the new version, the app lost response. I waited a long time. It seemed that if I press keys too fast(actually not too fast) the app will just lost response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuPogodi View Post
The same could be achieved by commenting/deleting a single line

in selectmenu.lua
Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #495
dracodoc
Connoisseur

Quote:
I did some debug profiling, and it seems that we are caching too much glymps and lua tables are not fast enough for a lot of entries since we are traversing them for each new glymp to trigger expire (which I never saw triggered in practice :-)

p.s. We should really move topics like this to issue tracker instead of spamming forum with development details.
I think this bug is not too troubling because user seldom need to select file browser font continuously. However if the bug can cause other problem it should be addressed.

The thread will have off topic discussion any way. Though I think there should be a better, more thorough wiki when the version stabilized.