Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
JOliver13
JOliver13 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook IQ 701
My First Impression of my PocketBook IQ

This being my first eReader, I don't really have anything to compare my experience to. Not only am I new to eReaders but I am new to Android also. I have a basic cell phone to fit my basic needs, although my husband is obsessed with his Droid Incredible.

I have to say, that I LOVE this device! I upgraded the firmware immediately and I downloaded LauncherPro like suggested so I have been messing around with my wallpapers. I also added the Kindle app and Borders app, along with the Moon Reader and FBreader, only because it was suggested I do so, not sure how I would use them yet. For the browser I downloaded Skyfire - I know Opera Mini was suggested but wasn't sure if that would be better?

I read a short free book from Amazon last night and had no problems with the display or with eye strain. I find that the screen is very responsive and the PocketBook is easy to navigate in general. I love the e-mail and Facebook shortcuts, those are the two features I use at home the most.

One thing that took me by surprise was the screen quality. It isn't bad but it isn't as clear as I thought. The icons show up great but videos on youtube and such aren't as clear as I thought they would be. I don't plan on watching alot of videos on this so really its not a big deal for me.

Right now I am using a 4GB memory card and believe it or not I still have just about 3.5GB left. I don't know what else there is to do to this device (I have it rooted, from the thread instructions, but I really have NO idea what this means). I may upgrade to an 8GB card just to be on the safe side but right now 4GB seems to be enough, I guess we will see when I start downloading more books!

When I was researching eReaders I was tired of seeing the same comments in regards to iPads being better, etc. than these Android tablets. I was not expecting this thing to be an iPad but I am totally shocked at the amount of people who do! For the price of $139, you can't go wrong with the PocketBook IQ, perfect for reading and doing basic internet tasks.
JOliver13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOliver13 View Post
videos on youtube and such aren't as clear as I thought they would be.
That is because most of the apps are scaling the videos' native resolution to full screen (800x600) resolution. This softens the image and slows down the frame rate.

Try the demo version of yxplayer from SlideMe and toggle the resolution to native and you'll see the difference.
I'm still testing video apps but yxplayer 1.5.5 is letting me play at least some 640x480 video smoothly at what looks like 24fps+ without glitches. Rockplayer plays them smoothly but its losing audio sync on me.

Basically the IQ is up to playing SD video fine but it seems to prefer lower-compression codecs like Mpeg and Mpeg2 over the higher compression ones like DiVX and WMV.

I'm still testing though.
Anybody know of other player apps that let you toggle video playback resolution?

Edit:
On browsers: I prefer Dolphin HD overwhelmingly over Opera and Skyfire because it offers the best desktop-like experience and scrolls with the volume buttons.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-23-2010 at 12:21 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
glad you like your IQ. I am still fiddling around with mine.

Since I don't use the internal storage, the 2 gig microSD card seems to be a waste sitting there.

I removed the back cover and replaced it with a 1 gig card. I now use the 2 gig card in my Jetbook.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
I removed the back cover and replaced it with a 1 gig card. I now use the 2 gig card in my Jetbook.

Cheers
Anything special needed? It's straight FAT32?
I have a 16Gb micro just sitting around I might switch in when 2.2 arrives but I wasn't sure if the internal card needs special formatting or something...
Old 12-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Anything special needed? It's straight FAT32?
I have a 16Gb micro just sitting around I might switch in when 2.2 arrives but I wasn't sure if the internal card needs special formatting or something...
Nothing special, just FAT32.

Cheers
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks. Good to know.
Now to see if somebody safely sticks a 32GB card in there.
If I hear the 2.2 rumors correctly, you should be able to use the internal to store apps and their data and use the SD for transient cards. Handy.
(Cause I can't see much use for 64GB. Not yet, anyway. )
Old 12-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
hiaig
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Thanks. Good to know.
Now to see if somebody safely sticks a 32GB card in there.
If I hear the 2.2 rumors correctly, you should be able to use the internal to store apps and their data and use the SD for transient cards. Handy.
(Cause I can't see much use for 64GB. Not yet, anyway. )
I personally think 32GB is overkill. I tested it out with an 8GB card and it worked fine.

Until you can save applications onto the internal card, it is much easier to move things around with the external card.

Cheers