Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Fictionwise 50% off - Valid through Sunday dec 19

Site: www.fictionwise.com
Code: xmascoming2010
Expires: Valid through Sunday dec 19

Click image for larger version

Name:	fictionwise_xmas.gif
Views:	248
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	62837
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Thanks for sharing! FW never seem to send me the newsletter any more, no matter how many times I try re-entering my email.

Hopefully people will be able to make use of this.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 05:11 AM   #3
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I just can't resist a sale!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Thanks for sharing! FW never seem to send me the newsletter any more, no matter how many times I try re-entering my email.

Hopefully people will be able to make use of this.
Same here. I stopped getting them about 5 months ago. Many thanks for sharing this info.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I had a look this morning (I rarely check FW any more), and was surprised to find that all the books in my wishlist were now in secure ereader format, except for the multiformat ones. Looking at the home page, it would seem that there also the books are either multiformat or secure ereader.

What happened? No more Drm'ed epubs or mobis? Does anyone know? Maybe it's been discussed here but I didn't find it with a search.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
This started a few weeks back, but they dropped all DRM but eReader and last two weeks they only added 1 new book that was even from a major publisher. Looks like they are only adding multiformat independent books now.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
What happened? No more Drm'ed epubs or mobis? Does anyone know? Maybe it's been discussed here but I didn't find it with a search.
Yes, fictionwise have dropped any DRMed format except eReader. Books already bought in a different format can still be downloaded from your bookshelf, but who knows how long that will last.

I have all my books safely downloaded, dedrmed and backed up. I also took the time to download all my multiformat ebooks in ePub format, which seems the best one for future conversions, a well as in Mobipocket, which is currently my format of choice.

The 50% sale is great — if there was anything on Fictionwise I wanted to buy.
Although I offer these multiformat suggestions from books that I've already bought:

Anything by Lawrence Watt-Evans, but especially the Ethshar series. "The Misenchanted Sword" is wonderful.

Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang. A splendid collection of SF and Fantasy short stories.

Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series. Classic fantasy.

The Dragon Man by Brian Stableford. Very good SF.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Here I go again! Thanks!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I had no idea what to buy, but I came across this and couldn't resist

The Soapmaster's Apprentice by Geoff Geauterre

https://store.fictionwise.com/ebooks...ff-Geauterre/?

It seems to be a slightly humorous crossover SF/Fantasy novel.

(And let me add that my personal favorite in the Ethshar series is The Unwilling Warlord. I have probably read it twice a year since it came out (which is amazingly 20 years ago).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:19 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I had no idea what to buy, but I came across this and couldn't resist

The Soapmaster's Apprentice by Geoff Geauterre

https://store.fictionwise.com/ebooks...ff-Geauterre/?

It seems to be a slightly humorous crossover SF/Fantasy novel.
Hmm.. that does look fun. And for $2.76, I can't resist either!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #11
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Thanks much for the coupon!
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Thanks! Picked up the last few George R.R. Martin stories I hadn't bought yet and some Lightspeed Magazine issues.

And... I bought "The Misenchanted Sword". Gah, stop recommending things to me, people! I'll never have the time to read them all!
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Second the recommendations for Lawrence Watt-Evans' Ethshar fantasies, and especially Ted Chiang's Stories of Your Life and Others. I own the latter twice over in paper in two languages. It's very good and well worth it.

This close to Boxing Day/New Year's, I'm kind of holding out for hopefully another 60% coupon to scoop up the pre-existing stuff on my wishlist, but I finally decided to splurge on two new releases this week:

The Mad Trist: A Romance of Bibliomania

Valdemar's Daughter: A Romance of Mesmerism

Both are by Brian Stableford and sequels to Edgar Allan Poe's stories, with Auguste Dupin investigating Usher and Valdemar, respectively, which sounds pretty interesting.

Frankly, I like Stableford's Biotech Revolution sf stories a lot more than most of his "gothic decadence" stuff, but between the 15% new-release discount and the 50% off coupon, they're cheap enough (I'd only "save" 12 cents each holding out for 60% off the regular price) and besides, Stableford's apparently hit some difficulties lately, having to sell off his lifelong personal science-fiction collection, so every little bit helps, and I don't begrudge the "extra" quarter if helps go towards the infinitesimal royalties he gets.

Also, I'd like to point out his collection Beyond the Colours of Darkness and Other Exotica: 11 entire "gothic decadence" and fantasy stories for only 99 cents, for anyone who's interested in maybe trying out his writing. You can't go wrong with something that gives you a decent range of storytelling samples for only half a buck after coupon.

If you prefer sf, he's also got The Great Chain of Being and Other Tales of the Biotech Revolution for $2.99. It's only 7 stories, but they're longer ones (some novella length) and a couple have been featured in those Gardner Dozois-edited Year's Best Science Fiction collections.

Also for sf/fantasy fans, there's plenty of great stuff available via Wildside Press, e-Reads, Wonderbooks Audio LLC, et al., all DRM-free. If you've ever wanted those Harlan Ellison Dangerous Visions anthologies for half-price, now you know where to get them.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Picked up the Eshtar series, it sounds good. With 50% off and my club discount the books are $2.98 each. That's an excellent deal to me. And I bought a bunch of other Fantasy books that I haven't yet read, the 90's were a decade in which I read very little (babies and family took up all my time outside of work).

~$112 (with my club discount and I received ~$11 in Micropay rebates) Merry Christmas to me! Ho, ho, ho!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Picked up the Eshtar series, it sounds good. With 50% off and my club discount the books are $2.98 each. That's an excellent deal to me. And I bought a bunch of other Fantasy books that I haven't yet read, the 90's were a decade in which I read very little (babies and family took up all my time outside of work).

~$112 (with my club discount and I received ~$11 in Micropay rebates) Merry Christmas to me! Ho, ho, ho!
How did you get Micropay? I thought they had discontinued that some time ago.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fictionwise