Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
tranceFusion
tranceFusion began at the beginning.

Device: none
another "help me decide" thread

So I am looking for a reader:

- No touch screen (tried a PRS-600 and the glare was too great).
- No frills necessary (I don't care about 3G, note taking, dictionaries, etc). I just want to read.
- I will never pay for a book that I can't remove the DRM from, so it should have decent support for a personal library (epub?)
- 6"+ screen
- $250 or less
- low on the technical annoyances (screen freezes, long load times, etc)

I am looking at the soon-to-be-released Kobo e-reader. It seems to have the minimal feature set I require for a low price.

Any other suggestions?
tranceFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
I would recommend the PRS-300. Seems to fit all your conditions except the 6"+ screen size.
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
tranceFusion
tranceFusion began at the beginning.

Device: none
Do you guys find 5" screen to be difficult to read on? I kind of feel like 6" is even a little small, compared to a book page.. although I guess the margins are a lot smaller.
tranceFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome trance! I too was concerned that a 5" would be too small, but I bought the jetBook Lite anyway, and am now quite content with the 5" screen.

I believe that the jetBook Lite meets your criteria other than screen size, so you might want to consider it. Because price is a concern, it is noteworthy that the JBL is the lowest priced reliable non-backlit device currently available.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
On the fringe of your budget ($240) you find the PB360, which fulfills each and every of your conditions save the 6 inch screen. I don't know if you can get hold of the Cybook Opus but it's another option with a 5 inch screen too. The way I see it, if you have enough font sizes to choose from and you don't read PDFs, 5'' work exactly as well as 6. Both Opus and PB360 offer you enough font sizes for you to find a comfortable one.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
For a 6" screen, if you can wait a bit, the Kobo at $149 is probably the one to get. I've pre-ordered, and they said they planned to ship before Mother's Day - 3 more weeks...
I also have a 5" PocketEZ, which uses ADE for epub, and it looks like they 'forgot' to adjust font sizes for the difference between 200 dpi and 167 dpi. So text is smaller, although you can step up to the next size in body text, but not menus. But it does fit in a coat pocket, as - I think - will most 5" units.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote