Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
Harry_W
Harry_W began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Install another dictionary to the Kobo Touch?

I got the Kobo Touch and the Sony PRS-T1 for testing and have to decide which one to keep.
My heart goes for the Kobo Touch as it fits nicely into my hands, the text settings (spacing etc.) are great and it just feels right when I use it.
As the Sony Reader has some major issues (firmware bugs, Windows software freezes, glossy surface) and the text settings can't match the Kobo, I wouldn't even think of buying the Sony. But there are some things the Kobo can't match:

- pdf reflow
- pdf pinch zoom
- paint notes into an ebook
- Collins English - German dictionary

I could live with those pdf and limited note issues. But as I read tons of English books, the Sony is far superior when it comes to the internal dictionary. The Kobo's Merriam-Webster's dictionary often has no entry for the words I'm looking for. It seems to be a very basic dictionary which only covers a limited number of core words.
The Sony's Collins dictionary in contrast is very useful. I hardly found words that were not in the dictionary. Not to forget that the Sony shows the translation instantly when selecting a word, while you have to navigate to the dictionary by hand on the Kobo.

As I would prefer the Kobo I wonder if it is possible to replace the internal Merriam-Webster's dictionary by a better one (Collins would be my first choice) which is integrated into the software the same way then (lookup marked words). Just buying an ebook dictionary and switch the books for each word wouldn't be an alternative.

Last edited by Harry_W; 12-05-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Harry_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I haven't seen any way to change dictionaries.

I rooted my KT to check if there is anything like standard dictionary files there I could replace, but I did found out nothing.

I would like to be able to add custom dictionaries as well.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Harry_W

That's very sad. The Kobo Touch is really a great device, but its lousy English - German dictionary is an absolute no-go. I can only hope they will add the possibility to install user dictionaries. As long as this is not possible, I fear I will have to send the device back.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
voodoopupp
voodoopupp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi, I'm Voodoo and new to the forum - so "Hello" to everybody

I have the same opinion as Harry_W regarding the miserable dictionary functions. I just speak for the german/english dictionary, but I am not sure about the other languages!? Are these ones better or are they also that weak?

The dictionary which is used at the moment is not good at all. There are so many missing words and phrases, this is not really making me (and a lot of other people) happy.

It would be really cool to get the opportunity to use own (bought) dictioniaries or just a much improved one included.

If there are some more people out there who are not happy with the dictionary functions at all, it would be really great to give us your vote on getsatisfaction here - you can also can get an idea here of missing (standard) words and so on: http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/topi..._in_dictionary

If we will get a lot people here, than we are perhaps able to get better dictionary functions in general - not only for german....

Regards
Voodoo
voodoopupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo gets dictionary sales and customers get dictionary that better fits their needs.
While I get entertainment of reading how it goes wrong.

Wikipedia look up of highlighted word option would also be great new feature.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
I really hate the Kobo dictionary. The Kindle one is much better.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think hate might be strong a word for an inanimate object like a dictionary; maybe dislike might be more appropriate?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31511 That's a Websters from MR. I found some English-German ones by Googling but I'm not sure if they are PD, so I won't post them.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
One of the best things about E-readers is easy look up words which I might never do with real book to read full definition of words I already know. I figure more than 99.9% of my vocabulary I have absorbed without using a dictionary.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
Nadqa
Nadqa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoopupp View Post

I just speak for the german/english dictionary, but I am not sure about the other languages!? Are these ones better or are they also that weak?
I can assure you the english/spanish dictionary is lousy too.
Nadqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Is there a custom dictionary for languages other than German and English--or only a translation service?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #12
Harry_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31511 That's a Websters from MR. I found some English-German ones by Googling but I'm not sure if they are PD, so I won't post them.
What use should they have if you can't install it to the Kobo Touch? I don't want an ebook dictionary which I have to open for each word I want to look up. I want to install a good (Collins, Longman, Oxford) dictionary that I can use instead of the original one (mark a word -> book-menu -> translate / meaning) as part of the Kobo's reader application.

As there is no reaction from Kobo, except the standard "We forwarded your feedback to the support crew ..." email, I will send the Kobo Touch back next week.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry; what response do you expect from Kobo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo_Developer
Oh yes; that is SUCH an obvious idea, why didn't we think of it! Our developers will drop ALL other projects and get your dictionary idea out ASAP
Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #14
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think hate might be strong a word for an inanimate object like a dictionary; maybe dislike might be more appropriate?
I find it profoundly irritating that almost none of the words I'd like to look up are in my Kobo's dictionary; when I look at the same book on my Kindle, the word is almost always in the dictionary and defined in terms other than what seem to me the most simple-minded ones possible.

Howzat?
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea2 View Post
I find it profoundly irritating that almost none of the words I'd like to look up are in my Kobo's dictionary; when I look at the same book on my Kindle, the word is almost always in the dictionary and defined in terms other than what seem to me the most simple-minded ones possible.

Howzat?
Well said