Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Amazon announces open enrollment for Kindle Apps, publishes KDK API

From http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2010/02/k...-platform.html

Quote:
Last month we announced the forthcoming release of the Kindle Development Kit, a suite of programming interfaces, tools, and documentation that allows you to build active content that you can promote in the Kindle Store. I travel a lot, and I'm seeing more and more Kindles every time I fly. Kindle owners never hesitate to tell me how much they love their devices and its capabilities -- the long battery life, an easy-on-the-eyes display, an incredibly convenient form factor, the instant gratification of accessing and downloading new content on-the-go whenever something strikes their fancy. Now you, as a developer, can tap into this enthusiasm and create compelling active content.

Today we're pleased to announce open enrollment into the Kindle developer beta program. Read more about the program here and sign up here. We'll ask you to briefly describe your idea during the enrollment process. Enrollees receive information on how to download the development kit, how to receive support from us while you develop your project, and how to submit your finished project to the Kindle Store. The development kit includes a Kindle simulator (both 6" and 9.7") that works on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. You can also register up to three Kindle devices through the developer portal; the owners of those devices will receive invitations to download and test your active content.

Useful links:

Kindle Development Kit (KDK) FAQ: https://kindlepublishing.amazon.com/...t?id=200436000

Enrollment Link: https://kindlepublishing.amazon.com/...269592-0180549

Last edited by Nate the great; 02-06-2010 at 12:52 PM.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
From the FAQ page : (which oddly, pops up a warning under Chrome and Safari, saying they aren't compatible browsers, and suggests IE or Firefox)

Quote:
What APIs are available to me in the KDK?
The KDK is comprised of two sets of APIs:
Java version 1.4 Personal Basis Profile (PBP) APIs for mobile devices.
PBP JavaDocs can be found at http://java.sun.com/javame/reference/apis/jsr217/.
Kindle custom APIs which complement the PBP APIs and provide UI components, JSON and XML parsers, HTTP and HTTPS networking, secure storage, and other features. Other APIs like audio and dictionary access will be available in a future release of the KDK.
KDK JavaDocs can be found at http://kdk-javadocs.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html.

I’ve already built a Java Micro Edition (J2ME) application. Can I port it to Kindle?
Yes. You should be able to modify existing Java applets and J2ME software to run on Kindle.

Does the KDK work with standard Java development tools?
Yes. The KDK can be used with any of the leading Java development tools such as Eclipse, IntelliJ, or NetBeans. The KDK is distributed as a single JAR file that you link to your project. The KDK developer documentation provides step-by-step instructions on setting up a development environment using Eclipse. The KDK can be used on Windows, Mac, or Linux operating systems.

Can I include other third-party software libraries with my active content?
Yes, as long as they are imported into the same binary archive file as your application. As the developer, you are responsible for verifying that you have all necessary rights to any third-party library included with your application.

How do I test active content?
You can test active content using the Kindle Simulator or by registering up to three Kindles as test devices on your developer account. We recommend that you test your application on a Kindle before submitting it to us for approval.

Will my Kindle active content work on the iPhone within the Kindle for iPhone software or on Kindle for PC?
At this time, the KDK enables you to build active content that runs on the Kindle 6-inch and Kindle DX 9.7-inch devices. The Kindle client applications for other platforms do not currently support Kindle active content.

How is active content protected?
Active content is protected using Kindle digital rights management.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Sam Landstrom
Zealot
Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Anyone get the SDK? I requested one almost a week ago and haven't heard anything. Wondering if the response is just slow or if they are no longer taking new developers or what.
Sam Landstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
Szumo
Szumo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v3
I have requested in september 2010 and got nothing so far...
Szumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
Sam Landstrom
Zealot
Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szumo View Post
I have requested in september 2010 and got nothing so far...
Thanks for the feedback, Szumo. Yeah, from what I gather here and elsewhere, I'm not going to hold my breath. I guess I'll have to wait until they open it up... if they ever do. I've searched around and not gotten an ETA on that.
Sam Landstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Just what the world needs, yet another proprietary app platform.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote