Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #16
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_mommy View Post
Thank you, Grandma, for this information. I am a newbie in every sense of the word! I bought the Sony 505 thinking I would just buy and download books from the Sony Connect store. I had no idea there were free books out there, not to mention formats and formatting versions... I was sort of at a stand still until I found this site.

So thanks again, Grandma, for remembering that we all have to start at the very beginning!
You are so welcome. And Welcome to MobileRead.

Now. Go back to the Wiki. (its at the top of the page. Click on it. See where it says "Technology"?

Click on "dedicated e-book devices"

Now click on "Sony 505". See all that wonderful information you never knew existed? There is even a link for the Sony 505 tutorial.

We have one of those for every ebook device available. You can spend hours just going thru the different threads about the 505.

However, if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask. People here love answering questions..
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #17
reddwarf
reddwarf began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for all the great info....frankly it really stinks to be a newbie sometimes LOL!
reddwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 04:42 AM   #18
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Grandma, thankyou - that is so kind of you to help out us newbies ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
jsadd
jsadd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1, I Pod Touch
Thank you so much for all the help !! I live 3 hours from the nearest bookstore and my town has a small library, having a Kindle and instant access to all these books is great.
It is so nice to know if I need help all i have to do is ask.
jsadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #20
traffordcentre
traffordcentre began at the beginning.

Device: sony e reader
Thanks Grandma and to everyone else who has posted links on here. I am going to spend hours poring through all these sites/ links at the weekend. Thanks so much : )
traffordcentre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #21
VetteLady
Love to Read
VetteLady began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500; PRS-505 Silver, IPod Touch 1st Gen
Kudos

I would like to add my thanks and to grandma for helping out all of us newbies. I don't know about you "older" folks out there, but some of us have a hard time just jumping into all this "new fangled technological" stuff.

I'm trying to slowly start working my way through all of the info that is available, so I really appreciate it when there are thoughtful people out there that realize that not all of us are veterans at this stuff

Again, thanks to all!
VetteLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #22
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Good on you for 'taking the plunge'!

Remember, we're never too old to learn new things.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Good on you for 'taking the plunge'!

Remember, we're never too old to learn new things.
My Mom is in her low 80s and I do help her with her laptop when she needs help. She's pretty good at learning this stuff. My dad is is a little older has trouble if it has an on/off switch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #24
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
geee..this is great! thanks for the announcement!

Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #25
Manpreet
Old Era BookWorm
Manpreet began at the beginning.

http://www.wattpad.com is also a great website for sharing ebooks.
You can also add your own books and they also run some contests giving away prizes like iPods and $1000 cash to the authors of best new books.
You needn't be an established author. Just your book should be good enough and they will take the pain to publish it.
Manpreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #26
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
One of my favourites is smashwords, http://www.smashwords.com/ this has some free ebooks, and some for a modest fee. They are all by independant authors, and all are DRM Free.

They are normally availiable in formats for most Ebook readers, including EPUB for stanza, LRF for Sony, PFD, and Kindle, plus others.

Authors can also upload there own works, formatted in line with the styleguide, and run them through the Smashwords meatgrinder to provide them in all the formats, so they can sell them, or disribute them for free.

My first novelette, is going to go on here for free soon.

Mike
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:54 AM   #27
Emelie
Emelie began at the beginning.

Thank you so much for this info......fab info......
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #28
Avex
Avex began at the beginning.

Device: iTouch 4th gen,Nook WiFi
Hi Grandma. I'm a newbie here and thank you so much for the awesome info. finally i found a forum discussing about e-book reader..yay!~
Avex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #29
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
thanks Grandma. Do you know if we have a problem downloading from these free US sites to here in the UK?
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #30
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Rose View Post
thanks Grandma. Do you know if we have a problem downloading from these free US sites to here in the UK?
Hi Panda Rose, I'm in the UK too - you shouldn't have any problems downloading from Grandma's links.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote