Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
raztaztwo
raztaztwo began at the beginning.

Device: Considering Kindle
I know the Kindle is new, but when do you think they will release a 2nd generation?

I realize the Kindle has just been released... but when do you think they may do a re-vamp and release an updated and more streamlined Kindle? We are looking at purchasing two and I just wanted an idea of how long before you think I may have to upgrade... Also, does anyone know the wait time of receiving a kindle? Since they are out of stock? Thanks so much -
raztaztwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
My guess is fall of '08 to match up with Christmas 2008.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
raztaztwo
raztaztwo began at the beginning.

Device: Considering Kindle
Makes sense! Thanks! We are still sitting on the fence... to buy now or not to buy Maybe we will wait a bit and see!!!! Thanks again
raztaztwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
November 2008, also only have a few in stock so very few people get them by Christmas
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:46 AM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I don't think they created an artificial scarcity as a business ploy. I really think they sold more than they thought they would (not that it means they sold a bajillion units). Or possibly the small manufacturing capacity of PVI was the problem. I don't see it really helping them to not have units on hand for the biggest shopping month of the year.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
I recall reading about color e-ink displays, but I don't remember where I read that. I'm sure that someone here can post a link. I'd think that there won't be a V2 until the color displays are available. Beyond that, there's not much they can do now to improve the existing unit. Maybe if they re-cased it, addressing the buttons and stuff. I've no idea what it takes to manufacture stuff (from design to product), but I'd suspect it's not cheap. Altho I wouldn't be surprised if they're in design right now, but they'd probably want their ROI first before going beyond the design phase for the next version.
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I agree that a better screen would be the biggest reason to do a v2. Either color or larger/faster/better resolution for the same price. If I could get an iLiad-sized screen for a Kindle-sized price, I'd be pretty darned happy. When they can finally do inexpensive, large color screens I bet we'll see a lot more magazine content.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't need color. Would raise the price too high. However, a 10" screen with higher resolution would be very nice for a Sony Reader PRS-600.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

It's hard to predict because as far as I know, Amazon has never gotten into the consumer electronics biz before. Maybe they are thinking that because the kindle is so service-oriented that they won't need to update it as frequently as a Sony or Apple gadget.

I would not be surprised if it was two years or more between new versions of the kindle. And when it happens it most certainly will be because of the availability of improved screen technology.

The kindle, despite a few defects and annoyances, doesn't really need a new iteration. It is perfectly serviceable as is.

I really hope they do continue to improve the software though. Constant firmware releases like the PS3 gets would be great. Even bi-yearly updates like the Xbox360 would be appreciated as long as they are substantial.

Last edited by sfernald; 12-17-2007 at 01:17 PM.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Serviceable? Yes. But it will not capture as much market share as it could with just a few more tweaks, mostly ergonomic to me. Yep, that will not a driving force until sales slow down.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:18 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Reading thru many of the feedback ratings on Amazon it seems there are quite a few units dead on arrival or dying shortly after arriving. I wonder if this has anything to do with the current shortages. Maybe they are trying to rework some things at the factory
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Well, I wouldn't expect to see a new Kindle model until there's an advance in screen technology that's significant. So wait for the next big announcement from e-ink or whomever and then you can start asking when a Kindle with the new screen will be available.

Personally I think a color display would be a mistake. If you tell people it has a color screen then they'll expect it to look as good as their 16 million color LCD monitors and will want to be able to web-surf on it as though it were a PC. A fast way to kill off book readers would be to try to turn them into laptop/pda competitors with lots of features unrelated to their primary job of presenting text.

I can see cases where having a couple of highlight colors could improve some book presentations, but for the most part you can't display enough material on the 6" screen to make it worthwhile. I doubt I would feel a desire to upgrade if color were the main improvement, at least as long as what I'm reading are primarily text-only books to begin with. The Manga crowd may feel differently.

A larger screen could be a viable option, but that probably comes at the cost of making the whole device larger, and the majority might prefer the smaller and more portable size. Once you make the screen big enough to display something like a newspaper page in full color, then I'm not sure what the device is any more. It's certainly not a "book", and I'm not certain that there's a market there.

I actually bought a book yesterday for the Kindle that I own in hardback because the paper book is so large and heavy as to be inconvenient to read.

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Cooking-S.../dp/B000PAAH1W

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #13
Just4Fun
Enthusiast
Just4Fun began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/iphone/ipad/Pocket Entourage/MacBook/Windows
Maybe they will consider manufacturing a Kindle with a larger screen for students and those professionals who need to view textbooks and manuals that include graphs and pictures. A "Kindle Professional" would be a nice addition to go with the current Kindle.
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote