Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Patton
Patton began at the beginning.

Device: kindel
Nook Cover Thumbnails

Is there a way to include a thumbnail cover image inside an epub file so the image shows up in the color LCD screen when you are reading the book on a Nook reader?

Currently, I have to distribute both the book and the thumbnail image as two individual files with each file having the same base name. It would be much simpler for users if the book could be distributed as a single download file that can be dragged directly onto the Nook from Windows.

Bill
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The Nook will not read the embedded cover from within the EPUB. That is why a secondary thumbnail image is included when using "Send to Device."
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
miguelt678
miguelt678 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Is it possible to set up the cover art on a PDF file as well? I can't seem to do it.
I'm using Calibre. I have a lot of manuals for my job that I loaded on my Nook Color, and they display well, but have the generic book cover.
miguelt678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
I just got a nook color and downloaded all of my (DRM-stripped) epub and pdf books from Calibre. Although Calibre did send the jpg files to the Nook, only a VERY FEW of the books show the cover thumbnail on the library screen. The rest do not. Is there some way to fix this? The covers do open up when the book is opened, but the thumbnails do not show. I don't know why only SOME of the thumbnails do show up but the rest don't. Any help would be appreciated.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
convert from epub to epub to update the cover in the files before sending.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! It's working!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
leday
Groupie

Update....I am still in the process of converting, and it is working for the most part, but on SOME it isn't....I convert to epub and Calibre will see the thumbnail on the device (and show it on the Calibre interface) but the Nook still will not show it on the library screen. Is there something going on during the conversion that is causing this? Most of my books so far are converting properly...it's just a select few that aren't. Very strange.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
leday
Groupie

Update again.....everything worked now. Converting EPUB to EPUB worked for MOST of my books, but not all (don't know why). For those, I had to covert EPUB to MOBI and then convert BACK from MOBI to EPUB and it worked that way, so now all my books have the proper cover art. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:55 AM   #9
ssarrraahh
ssarrraahh began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I created an account just to tell you all thanks. I was really frustrated with my Nook Color, but now that I've figured out how to fix the book cover problem, I'm really happy with it. So, thank you all very much for participating in this thread. And I'm sure many others are thankful too.
ssarrraahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 AM   #10
J_M
J_M began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I have used the epub conversion method to get the cover thumbnails to display and it has worked great. However, I am still having problems getting the thumbnails to show for pdf files. Has anyone been able to get the cover thumbnails to show up for pdfs? I can get them to show up if I convert the pdf to epub, but that conversion isn't very clean and it almost unusable. I want to keep it in pdf format but see the cover thumbs. Please help if you have figured this out.
J_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:26 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M View Post
I have used the epub conversion method to get the cover thumbnails to display and it has worked great. However, I am still having problems getting the thumbnails to show for pdf files. Has anyone been able to get the cover thumbnails to show up for pdfs? I can get them to show up if I convert the pdf to epub, but that conversion isn't very clean and it almost unusable. I want to keep it in pdf format but see the cover thumbs. Please help if you have figured this out.
Calibre cannot update covers in PDF files without doing a conversion, and as you have found converting PDF files often makes the results unusable.

To do what you want you will have to use a tool that is capable of editing PDF files directly. This is not something I do myself, so I am not sure what options are available in this arena.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
john_es
Connoisseur
john_es began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
if you convert epub to epub, what exactly changes? Does it touch any formatting, etc.??
john_es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
J_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Calibre cannot update covers in PDF files without doing a conversion, and as you have found converting PDF files often makes the results unusable.

To do what you want you will have to use a tool that is capable of editing PDF files directly. This is not something I do myself, so I am not sure what options are available in this arena.
Thanks.

I have the full version of adobe acrobat and can edit pdf files. Does anyone know what needs to be done so that the PDF cover thumbnails show up on the nook?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
J_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_es View Post
if you convert epub to epub, what exactly changes? Does it touch any formatting, etc.??

No. It hasn't changed any formatting or anything else I can tell, at least for me.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:35 AM   #15
franken_stein
franken_stein began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight & Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M View Post
Thanks.

I have the full version of adobe acrobat and can edit pdf files. Does anyone know what needs to be done so that the PDF cover thumbnails show up on the nook?
I'm still looking for the answer to this, too. I used Calibre to send a bunch of PDFs to my Nook Color, and they only show up with the generic gray cover. All of the files in Calibre show the right cover, though! But I guess it just is displaying the first page of the PDF. Any ideas or help?
franken_stein is offline   Reply With Quote