Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
fernando1986
fernando1986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Exclamation kindle 3 SIM card (internet free?)

Hello guys, I want to know if anyone try the kindle 3 sim card on another device (mobile phone, usb 3G modem, etc). I was thinking of using it to get free internet on my laptop. Is it possible?

I read that kindle 3G connection goes through the Amazon proxy, Could be possible to trick the proxy?

thanks!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Please do not discuss cheating Amazon for free internet here. The feature is a privilege, not a right, and if people start stealing internet, Amazon would take away the feature, and we would no longer have the web browser.

And no, putting the SIM card in your computer won't work. There's a special key that is sent to amazon with all web requests so 1) they can track your internet usage, and 2) so they can cut you off if you abuse it. Also note that your credit card is tied to your Kindle & amazon account, plus your location is sent to them every hour or so, so I wouldn't try to screw Amazon over.
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
fernando1986

I just want to use the 3G connection on my laptop to access the same sites I access on the kindle 3, so I would not be cheating Amazon.

I bought the 3G + wifi kindle, and I want to use the 3G connection in another device, I don't see what's wrong.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That it's blatantly breaking Amazon's TOS?
Old 10-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
scotter
scotter began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Even though you claim that you'll visit the same sites, nobody knows that, and it could easily be abused and amazon would have to foot the bill.
Its against amazon's terms and agreements. If anybody abuses it, they will simple take it away from everybody. What isn't wrong with it?
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
fernando1986

I insist that I would use it for the same as I use it on the kindle. Didn't know that it breaks the amazon terms and conditions. Thanks anyway
Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You'd end up connected to the Amazon Whispernet network and everything has to go through the Amazon web proxy servers. All other connections are blocked. If you're in a region which doesn't give you free web access via 3G on your Kindle then all you can access is the Kindle store and Wikipedia.

It'd be fairly obvious if somebody had taken the SIM out of their Kindle and put it into something else as they'd get odd requests which wouldn't ever be generated by a Kindle. The amount of data would be unusually large compared to a regular Kindle user as well.

If you're happy with breaking the Kindle TOS, having everything go through the proxy which you can't avoid and risk Amazon disabling your SIM and Kindle then sure, go for it. Don't blame us if anything happens though.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
fernando1986

thanks for your answer Tiersten.

What if, in some way, I connect the kindle to my laptop and use the kindle like a 3G modem? the data traffic would pass through the kindle, and the requests would be generated by the kindle, no odd requests. Think about it...
Old 10-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando1986 View Post
thanks for your answer Tiersten.

What if, in some way, I connect the kindle to my laptop and use the kindle like a 3G modem? the data traffic would pass through the kindle, and the requests would be generated by the kindle, no odd requests. Think about it...
No. I meant like you downloading Adobe Flash files or Java etc... A real Kindle would never request those files so it'd be a big sign that you're doing something you shouldn't be. You may end up visiting sites like Windows Update which a Kindle would also never go to etc...

You'd have to make sure that nothing leaks from your computer like CIFS requests or any other connections that a Kindle wouldn't normally create. Just using the Kindle as a 3G modem wouldn't prevent that from happening. You'd need to configure your computer to not do this.

Considering the restrictions and the possibility of Amazon getting extremely annoyed with you, I'd say this isn't a good idea and not something you should pursue.

Last edited by Tiersten; 10-11-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Spelling typo
Old 10-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
fernando1986

Is more complicated than I had imagined... but also can be a challenge. I'm not planning to cheat amazon, I just have curiosity to learn. Take care, bye!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando1986 View Post
Is more complicated than I had imagined... but also can be a challenge. I'm not planning to cheat amazon, I just have curiosity to learn. Take care, bye!
While you may not believe you are "cheating" Amazon, they may take a different view of your activities.

See this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...4530&#wireless

Quote:
Your Conduct.
You agree you will use the wireless connectivity provided by Amazon only in connection with Services Amazon provides for the Device. You may not use the wireless connectivity for any other purpose.
You're suggesting you will use the service for something other than "the device." Amazon specifically prohibits this by way of the statement, "You may not use the wireless connectivity for any other purpose."

Last edited by cjottawa; 10-20-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is an astonishingly selfish thing to even ask for. If people start abusing the Kindle's 3G connection the 100% certain result is going to be the withdrawal of web browsing for everybody. Please do stop to consider the consequences of your actions.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3 - 3g, Samsung Galaxy Note
Amazon have been good enough to you to give you this service for free. Using it in the way you are talking about is a blatant breach of the terms you agreed to when you brought your device.

What you want to do is possible but its wrong. You should not be doing this and will ruin the service for those of us who want to use it as it is intended to be used.
Closed Thread