Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
kein
kein began at the beginning.

Device: IREX ILIAD
Iliad could not be recognized by PC

Hello Everyone,

I am gettng an error message every time I am trying to connect my Iliad Second Edition to my PC. It says "Unknown USB device". I tried to connect it to different computers and changing connection mode to "Internal memory", 'MMC", USB Stick", "CF" at a time and it still gives me the same error. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
kein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
What OS is your PC (Windows 7, Mac, Linux... etc).

It might sound silly, but try a different USB port on the PC.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
kein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
What OS is your PC (Windows 7, Mac, Linux... etc).

It might sound silly, but try a different USB port on the PC.
I tried on Win 7 and XP Pro. Unsuccessfully. It just does not see it. It says "USB device Not Recognized" because of malfunctioning. Maybe it is a travel hub related. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the iLiad is in the content lister screen when you connect. But, if that were the problem, I don't think your PC would even see it.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to try. It sounds like something with the hub, cable, or USB port on the PC. I've got a port on my PC at home that doesn't seem to work right no matter what I plug into it (probably not wired correctly). I always need to remember to use a different port when connecting anything.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
kein

Quote:
The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the iLiad is in the content lister screen when you connect. But, if that were the problem, I don't think your PC would even see it.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to try. It sounds like something with the hub, cable, or USB port on the PC. I've got a port on my PC at home that doesn't seem to work right no matter what I plug into it (probably not wired correctly). I always need to remember to use a different port when connecting anything.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Well, I guess I'll go and buy a new hub and see if this should do it. I heard that there is a way to make iLiad communicate with PC via Wi-Fi, thus allowing files to be shared between iLiad and PC over the network. My version is 2.12 and there was an upgrade to v. 2.9.1 that would allow such communication. Do you happen to know how and where I can get that upgrade?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard

Before I bought a new hub, I would try a new cable and/or port first, unless you've already tried that.

Regarding WiFi, yes that definitely works. That's how I sync data between my PC and iLiad at home. It's a little complicated to setup, but it works fine. Basically, you create a new directory on the PC and configure it as a "shared" directory under Windows. Then you enter in the Workgroup/Domain, server, username, password information that is needed to access that directory in a screen on the iLiad. The first time you connect from the iLiad it will build the right directory structure underneath the directory that you created. If you've never done any windows networking or windows sharing, it can be a little tricky to get all of the details right.

You already have the latest update (2.12), and WiFi is supported on it. The 2.9 update you're talking about is a much older version.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard

Another option would be to just use a card reader and put a memory card directly into your PC and copy the files that way, then put the card into the iLiad. You wouldn't be able to use the iLiad's internal memory though without jumping through some other hoops to move data from a card to internal memory once it's back on the iLiad.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
kein

Quote:
Before I bought a new hub, I would try a new cable and/or port first, unless you've already tried that.

Regarding WiFi, yes that definitely works. That's how I sync data between my PC and iLiad at home. It's a little complicated to setup, but it works fine. Basically, you create a new directory on the PC and configure it as a "shared" directory under Windows. Then you enter in the Workgroup/Domain, server, username, password information that is needed to access that directory in a screen on the iLiad. The first time you connect from the iLiad it will build the right directory structure underneath the directory that you created. If you've never done any windows networking or windows sharing, it can be a little tricky to get all of the details right.

You already have the latest update (2.12), and WiFi is supported on it. The 2.9 update you're talking about is a much older version.
I have created a new directory on my PC and shared it. What do I put in step 3 of the iLiad setting? Workgroup / domain name or its path? And how do I access it from the iLiad afterwards? Do I need to restart my iLiad or it just should connect on its own once the entries have been made? Seems like I don't see anything happening, unless I am missing something here. Would that be too much of trouble for you to give me a step-by-step procedure? I know it should be very simple but I am hitting a wall here.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:41 AM   #9
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
kein, you will find instructions in the Knowledge base:

http://support.irexreader.com/s.nl/s...e.KB/KB.166/.f

Click on connectivity, then "Can I transfer files with a wireless or wired network connection?".

I can exchange files between my computer and iLiad wirelessly, but I prefer to use a CF card and card reader.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
kein

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
kein, you will find instructions in the Knowledge base:

http://support.irexreader.com/s.nl/s...e.KB/KB.166/.f

Click on connectivity, then "Can I transfer files with a wireless or wired network connection?".

I can exchange files between my computer and iLiad wirelessly, but I prefer to use a CF card and card reader.
Thank you, Cbell for the link. Finally, got it done. It worked.

I have this issue I was discussing with Shaggy regarding an error message like "USB Device Not Recognized", and blaming it on travel hub. I was about to buy another one as an replacement, but I was talked out of it by the distributor whom I purchased my unit from. He mentioned the issue I was having was not a travel hub related, but software related and that it has happened before. Now, do you think if reflashing to original version would fix the problem? Thanks for your input
Old 05-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kein View Post
Thank you, Cbell for the link. Finally, got it done. It worked.

I have this issue I was discussing with Shaggy regarding an error message like "USB Device Not Recognized", and blaming it on travel hub. I was about to buy another one as an replacement, but I was talked out of it by the distributor whom I purchased my unit from. He mentioned the issue I was having was not a travel hub related, but software related and that it has happened before. Now, do you think if reflashing to original version would fix the problem? Thanks for your input
Did he say it was a software problem on the iLiad, or on the PC?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
kein

Quote:
Did he say it was a software problem on the iLiad, or on the PC?
Hi Shaggy,

He said iLiad software related because of him noticing this type of issue being reported before. So, he stopped me from buying another hub and suggested openining of a ticket with irex support, which I did. On my question about reflashing it and bringing back to original state he said it might help but he was not sure about it. I just would not want to reflash it for sake of it and need to know whether reflashing normally fixes this type of an issue.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard

I'd be curious what iRex tech support says, if you don't mind taking the time to share what you learn from them.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
kein

Quote:
I'd be curious what iRex tech support says, if you don't mind taking the time to share what you learn from them.
Below in bold is their initial response to me:

After your iliad is connected to a pc, (screen on the iliad is 'device manager) your PC will be able to detected the iLiad as a USB external drive and will assign a drive letter on this drive, no extra usb driver needed. If the trouble is still persist, this can be happens if you installed the SDK, due some third party software will block the usb port access. So please provide me the serial nr. which I can validate SDK installed or not.

As you read through it you could see that they are askling for my serial number which I have provided. And as long as they are looking to validate SDK installed on my iLiad, it makes me think positively regarding going for reflasnig of my device thus bringing it its original state. Maybe then it would allow to establish needed USB communication with my PC.