Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #121
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I have no trouble believing it -- even without this latest example, I've seen entirely too many others in the past. For that matter, this isn't even the first from Amazon, not even the first from Amazon dealing with e-books, for that matter!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #122
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWiz View Post
you know who I blame for it?

US! You and me. We allow it to happen. The Itunes store was DRM for ever and did that stop people from buying Ipods? No. Best selling MP3 EVER!

Same thing will happen here. People will buy up the Kindle cuz it from Amazon and ohhhh ahhhh isn't it nifty! I for one will never buy a Kindle now. But many many many others will.

The only way to correct this sort of thing is to vote with your pocket book and the bottom line is no one cares. They will buy anyway.

Ah well.... just more of the same really.
Yet, interestingly, iTunes is now DRM free (or nearly there). So if it's truly more of the same, I guess we'll eventually get somewhere good. I am not surprised by Amazon's move at all. Even if they don't really mind people using their Kindles a bit more liberally, they have to aggressively defend their DRM otherwise it might create a disadvantageous legal precedent for when there is a legitimate infringement made upon them.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #123
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
But what they're aggressively defending here is not their DRM, but their DRM's effectiveness in locking Kindle owners into buying books only from Amazon.

That's not, strictly speaking, a legal issue ... unless one wants to wander into the possible anti-trust aspects of it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #124
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I'm just wondering is there an analog to the MPAA/RIAA et al within the book world? Some organisation that might be steering these companies in the wrong direction when it comes to DRM and it uses? I still can't believe that any sane business-person would intentionally alienate their customers. It doesn't make sense at all. Especially since Amazon provide non-DRM'ed MP3 downloads.
My guess is that whoever decided to go this route really has no conception of what customer loyalty and customer alienation can to for or against a brand name.

Circuit City found out the hard way. Their motto used to be "Where Customer Service is State of the Art" .... and then those of us who realized how awful customer service actually was morphed that into "Where Customer Service Smells Just Like a Fart" .... and eventually they went belly up.

It may take a while, but if Amazon.com decides that it must have a level of control that equates to the grip of grim death over it's customers, then people are going to start buying from the competition.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #125
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm seriously considering sending my K2 back and getting a iLiad. It's worth the extra $300 to me to not have this carp going on.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #126
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
But what they're aggressively defending here is not their DRM, but their DRM's effectiveness in locking Kindle owners into buying books only from Amazon.

That's not, strictly speaking, a legal issue ... unless one wants to wander into the possible anti-trust aspects of it.
Hell, they are aggressively defending the effectiveness of the DRM of OTHER publishers to prevent those books from being viewed on a Kindle.

It's really dipping way down into the bottom of the barrel.

To top it off ... Mobileread hasn't done anything illegal!! I would hazard a guess that a fair number of MR's members and lurkers aren't even residents of the United States.

Good grief ... do they even understand that, like it or not, a whole lot of Kindles are now owned by persons who are neither citizens nor residents of the US?? Seriously, how do they plan to enforce the DMCA in those cases??
Old 03-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #127
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I'm seriously considering sending my K2 back and getting a iLiad. It's worth the extra $300 to me to not have this carp going on.
makes sense to me. i wonder how many other people feel the same way ?

particularly as there are plenty of cheaper alternatives as well, and new devices coming out soon with wireless support, search capabilities...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #128
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Would that carp be the blue one next to the fish??

And, I too am thinking about dumping my Kindles and getting something else so that I don't have to worry about Amazon dictating what I may read or putting their noses into what is on my ebook reader.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #129
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
makes sense to me. i wonder how many other people feel the same way ?

particularly as there are plenty of cheaper alternatives as well, and new devices coming out soon with wireless support, search capabilities...
Wizpac Txtr for the win?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #130
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Would that carp be the blue one next to the fish??

And, I too am thinking about dumping my Kindles and getting something else so that I don't have to worry about Amazon dictating what I may read or putting their noses into what is on my ebook reader.
As am I
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #131
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Wizpac Txtr for the win?
quite possibly.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #132
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
As am I
Sad, isn't it?? The two most rabid Kindle fans on earth thinking about ditching their beloved Kindles.

All because someone at Amazon has their head up their ass.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #133
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Wizpac Txtr for the win?
That's at the top of my list, as well. If it, in fact, is distributed in the US and is less than megabucks.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #134
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Sad, isn't it?? The two most rabid Kindle fans on earth thinking about ditching their beloved Kindles.

All because someone at Amazon has their head up their ass.

See that's what they should be worried about. People who loved the device are now turning against it. Advocates, even, for its use. They've shot themselves in the foot with this one, big time. Just wait for the big push from Defective by Design against the Kindle. Bad press all the way.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #135
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But without Kindlepid, you cannot get the PID of your iPhone or iPod Touch. And without the PID, there is no way to strip the DRM.

The PID is the key to unlock the door that is DRM. So if I have the key, I could use it. But without the key, the Kindle eBooks remain locked good and tight.
If someone's intent is to strip off the DRM they wouldn't need KindlePID, they just need a valid Mobipocket PID. You can get one by downloading the free PC version of MobiPocket Reader or from any other device that supports Mobipocket.

The reason to use KindlePID is to purchase a Mobipocket DRM ebook and read it on the Kindle without stripping the DRM. Obviously such shady practices are in violation of the DMCA.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote