Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #31
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
Don't forget to check for a recommend option at your library. I recently, and very belatedly, discovered this option in Overdrive. 6 books recommended, 2 days later my library purchased all of them.

With Overdrive use the dropdown on the left to change your search from 'My library's collection' to 'additional titles to recommend', or use the advanced search.
Thank you! I hadn't realized how easy that was before.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Personally, I would use the OverDrive Link plugin for calibre, which can search for and save a list of available and recommendable OverDrive books in any number of configured libraries, and supports Freading and 3M library as well. It is basically my default way of communicating with OverDrive.

Once it's set up, you can bind the search to a shortcut key and just periodically run it against all the books in calibre, it will run in the background and you get a cached list, aggregated amongst all the libraries you have access to.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #33
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Personally, I would use the OverDrive Link plugin for calibre, which can search for and save a list of available and recommendable OverDrive books in any number of configured libraries, and supports Freading and 3M library as well. It is basically my default way of communicating with OverDrive.

Once it's set up, you can bind the search to a shortcut key and just periodically run it against all the books in calibre, it will run in the background and you get a cached list, aggregated amongst all the libraries you have access to.
Okay, it's late and I'm tired...what am I missing? Why would I want Overdrive to search for books I already have?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #34
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Okay, it's late and I'm tired...what am I missing? Why would I want Overdrive to search for books I already have?
Because it also searches the books you DON'T have, by the same author. Presumably, you'd want to read them too. Your books get an identifier, but the other books are in a dropdown option called "Manage discovered books".

Plus you can search keywords now with the last couple releases.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #35
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
My library has one of the larger collections in the US AFAIK and fairly often have luck finding stuff I'm looking for. The problem I run into is that often books I want are checked out with a decent length wait/hold list so I can't check them out any time soon. This can be especially problematic with series.
I'm making use of the wishlist feature in Overdrive. I've become very frustrated with the search in their web site, even the advanced search. So when I stumble across a book that looks interesting, I stick it on the wishlist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
My library has a pretty good selection, but some series have only a few books, or big gaps. Of course this works out well for the publishers - sometimes I just have to know what happens in the next book so I buy it rather than wait and hope the library will acquire it. Maybe the publishers are colluding with my library to make me buy books
I use the Interlibrary Loan process at my library to fill in the gaps. It does mean that I'm occasionally reading a book printed on paper, but I don't have to purchase it.
Quote:

I have this installed in Calibre, but am not sure how to use it effectively.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #36
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Re: OverDrive Link plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I have this installed in Calibre, but am not sure how to use it effectively.
Just have it search for all books by selected authors, and it will search your configured OverDrive, OneClickDigital, 3M, Freading, OpenLibrary, Amazon (Kindle Owners Lending Library) borrowing locations. It will link your current calibre books to the results, plus save all books by matching authors that you don't own yet!! That is the important part. You can view them from OverDrive Link (toolbar icon) ==> Manage discovered books. Right-clicking on any of them will allow you to hide, delete, or add the book (as an empty book record in calibre), as well as "Borrow book at %s" or "Recommend book to %s" at the name of the configured library.

I search for books, and if they aren't in calibre, that probably means I will want to borrow it. Once I borrow it, I ignore/add to calibre as empty book record, so it doesn't confuse my later searches. (Do not "Discard" the result, or next time it will come back and you may not realize you already got it.)

Every time you add more books to calibre, your search range expands. Add empty book records for authors you don't own at all yet.

You can also search for keywords. (This option only appears if you added keywords in the plugin configuration.)
Old 03-28-2014, 01:00 AM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Just have it search for all books by selected authors, and it will search your configured OverDrive, OneClickDigital, 3M, Freading, OpenLibrary, Amazon (Kindle Owners Lending Library) borrowing locations. It will link your current calibre books to the results, plus save all books by matching authors that you don't own yet!! That is the important part. You can view them from OverDrive Link (toolbar icon) ==> Manage discovered books. Right-clicking on any of them will allow you to hide, delete, or add the book (as an empty book record in calibre), as well as "Borrow book at %s" or "Recommend book to %s" at the name of the configured library.

I search for books, and if they aren't in calibre, that probably means I will want to borrow it. Once I borrow it, I ignore/add to calibre as empty book record, so it doesn't confuse my later searches. (Do not "Discard" the result, or next time it will come back and you may not realize you already got it.)

Every time you add more books to calibre, your search range expands. Add empty book records for authors you don't own at all yet.

You can also search for keywords. (This option only appears if you added keywords in the plugin configuration.)
Ok, now I think I'm starting to understand why I might care. I've learned how to "work" the Overdrive search engine, if one can give it so lofty a title. But this sounds like it might well be better.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote