Old 06-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
JJ Joseph
JJ Joseph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to link the style sheet in Sigil?

In another thread, DiapDealer said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The stylesheet goes in the Styles folder. And you link each xhtml file (that you want to use it) to that stylesheet with:

Code:
<link href="../Styles/stylesheet-name.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
in the head section.
My style sheet has its own file name (myfirstbook.css), but after I paste that file into Sigil, Sigil assigns it a new name "Style0001.css". So far, Sigil doesn't see my style sheet, even though it's right there in the Book Browser with the message "The resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused)". I'm not clear what Sigil is doing file-wise, so how do I ensure the text files see the style sheet as you've described it?
JJ Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Joseph View Post
In another thread, DiapDealer said:

My style sheet has its own file name (myfirstbook.css), but after I paste that file into Sigil, Sigil assigns it a new name "Style0001.css". So far, Sigil doesn't see my style sheet, even though it's right there in the Book Browser with the message "The resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused)". I'm not clear what Sigil is doing file-wise, so how do I ensure the text files see the style sheet as you've described it?
If you brought it in separately (as opposed to coming IN with a book), sigil does not create the stylesheet link for you It does not know which file to use this one with (assumes many files might be present at some time now or later). You need to put a link (or more) in th <head> section of each file you want to use this stylesheet with.
Code:
<link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<link href="../Styles/stylesheet2.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
Where the Red is the name(s) of YOUR stylesheet(s) that will be used on that page. (note the example shows 2 sheets, you do NOT need to use 2
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
In addition to what theducks posted while I was typing...

If you right-click on the Styles folder in the Book Browser, you will be given the options of:

"Add existing file" -- which is what you want if you have a pre-existing stylesheet (myfirstbook.css) that you just want to import into your ePub.

or "Add blank stylesheet" -- which appears to be what's happening to you if you end up with a file named "Style0001.css."

Either way, when you have a file in that Styles folder, the link needs to point to that exact file name (case sensitive). If the file is named "myfirstbook.css" then the code to add to the head section of your html should be:
<link href="../Styles/myfirstbook.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

If it's named "Style0001.css" then:
<link href="../Styles/Style0001.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

If you think you have it right and it still doesn't seem to be working, make sure you save the epub and close Sigil, and then open it back up again before you assume "it didn't work." Some of that CSS stuff doesn't always seem to take effect immediately and you could end up chasing your own tail if you don't restart just to make sure it "took."
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
JJ Joseph
JJ Joseph began at the beginning.

Style sheet confusion

Quote:
In addition to what theducks posted while I was typing...
Thanks for the quick replies - that's exactly what I was looking for. Now everything is sort of looking like a book, much more so than yesterday! For sure, that's not my last question, but I'm making progress again.
JJ Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
bhartford
bhartford began at the beginning.

Quote:
"Add blank stylesheet" -- which appears to be what's happening to you if you end up with a file named "Style0001.css."
Yes, that's what I did too. According to the Sigil User Guide (http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/index.html) I'm supposed to be able to then:

1. Select one or more files in the Book Browser
2. Right-click on the selection
3. Choose Link Stylesheets from the context menu

But that doesn't work. When I right-click on a file in the Book Browser, there is no "Link Stylesheets" menu choice.

Is the User Guide out of date, or (more likely) am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
bhartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartford View Post
Yes, that's what I did too. According to the Sigil User Guide (http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/index.html) I'm supposed to be able to then:

1. Select one or more files in the Book Browser
2. Right-click on the selection
3. Choose Link Stylesheets from the context menu

But that doesn't work. When I right-click on a file in the Book Browser, there is no "Link Stylesheets" menu choice.

Is the User Guide out of date, or (more likely) am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
The User Guide is a tiny bit ahead of date, actually
The context menu "Link Stylesheets" feature is only available in the very latest beta version (0.5.901) of Sigil, so far as I'm aware.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
bhartford
bhartford began at the beginning.

Quote:
The User Guide is a tiny bit ahead of date, actually
The context menu "Link Stylesheets" feature is only available in the very latest beta version (0.5.901) of Sigil, so far as I'm aware.
Alas, the story of my life, always getting ahead of myself. Thanks for that explanation.
bhartford is offline   Reply With Quote