Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Amazon following the Apple Model?

This is kind of a follow-up to Could This be the Future of Amazon eBooks? where I talked about how Amazon could be following in the same footsteps that Apple tread to become DRM-free with their music (and Amazon probable contribution, IMO).

Today, my Google Reader popped up an opinion piece What Amazon and HP Are Now Learning From Apple. The opinion talks about how opening up made Apple stronger.

Quote:
You don't see the iPod or the iPhone taking away from the iMac, for instance. And there is a sense with Apple products that they do, in fact, work better together. However -- and this is the second lesson I'm focused on here -- they also get that their products have to work with competing platforms. If the iPod and iPhone didn't work with Windows PCs, they would likely be a close No. 1 or No. 2 in a much smaller MP3 player market, rather than the dominant leader.

It actually amazes me how many companies seem to want to lock down their offerings and miss out on a massive amount of revenue by doing so. Let's move to Amazon and Kindle.
Now I don't agree that the iPod or iPhone would be number 1 or 2 if they didn't work with Windows. The Mac market is still much smaller than the Windows market. I don't think wanting iPods or iPhones would drive people to buy Macs just to use them.

Anyway, the writer feels Amazon has learned a less from Apple.

Quote:
However, the other lesson that Amazon learned from Apple was to allow the media to move. In this case, Amazon created an iPhone reader, and a PC reader is supposedly coming. For Amazon, it is the sale of books -- not the reader -- that drive revenue, and Amazon appears to be wisely going down the path of letting those books move places where the Kindle isn't.
Note, the bit about a PC reader for Kindle books. This is the first time I've seen that rumor.

What do you folks think? Do you see Amazon moving to open itself to more devices?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Now I don't agree that the iPod or iPhone would be number 1 or 2 if they didn't work with Windows. The Mac market is still much smaller than the Windows market. I don't think wanting iPods or iPhones would drive people to buy Macs just to use them.
Is this what you meant to say? The quote indicates that if Apple hadn't made its iPod and iPhone work with PCs it wouldn't dominate, which is agreeing with you.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Is this what you meant to say? The quote indicates that if Apple hadn't made its iPod and iPhone work with PCs it wouldn't dominate, which is agreeing with you.
To me the quote indicated that the market would be much smaller if Apple hadn't opened up to Windows but Apple would still be number 1 or 2 but less dominant than they are. I was saying that if they hadn't opened to Windows I don't think they would be number 1 or 2. If owning an iPod required owning a Mac, I don't think iPods are important enough to cause someone to buy a Mac, so Apple would have sold far fewer iPods.

Quote:
If the iPod and iPhone didn't work with Windows PCs, they would likely be a close No. 1 or No. 2 in a much smaller MP3 player market, rather than the dominant leader.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
To me the quote indicated that the market would be much smaller if Apple hadn't opened up to Windows but Apple would still be number 1 or 2 but less dominant than they are. I was saying that if they hadn't opened to Windows I don't think they would be number 1 or 2. If owning an iPod required owning a Mac, I don't think iPods are important enough to cause someone to buy a Mac, so Apple would have sold far fewer iPods.
I owned an iPod back when they only worked with Macs (i.e. the original 5GB iPod). I didn't rush out and buy a Mac, but instead found software that would let me use it in Window (xPlay, I think it was called).

Then again, many years later we have become a Mac household, so maybe the effect was just delayed
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Sorry, Daffy. I obviously misunderstood.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

No problemo.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think a PC reader would open a huge door to their ebook marketplace IMO. Though i wonder if it would eat into hardware sales
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote