Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #31
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
I found the runner.sh included to have windows line endings, not allowing the script to run with KUAL. Once I stripped it, it worked. I used USB networking (XP Pro -> Kindle touch) by using the Kindle address of 192.168.15.201 in the runner.sh file. Also rdesktop only works if the user has a password.

Fun to show off it's capabilities, thanks!

dos2unix:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...12&postcount=3
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #32
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
The included file at the top there?

I just tested it as okay?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #33
Boris27
Boris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Touch
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
Also rdesktop only works if the user has a password.
Thank you for this detail! Now it really works via USB Networking!
And twobob — thank you for this excellent utility!
Boris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #34
Boris27
Boris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud ofBoris27 has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Touch
To be clear for noobs like me. It's will work via USBnetwork (of cource, if you have installed it): you need to enter name and pass of your Windows account, in respective fields in runner.sh and 192.168.15.201 in IP field. Don't forget to enable Remote Assistance in the System Proprites.

One more detail: rdesktop also works with Yifan Lu's GUI Launcher (5.1.2 firmware).
Boris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #35
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the report
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #36
Kryxan
Kryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud of

Device: Touch
just tried this out, nice work. it took some trial and error to find that a windows option for Network Level Authentication was limiting the connection. I think an error popup would have been helpful. Got a successful connection on windows 7, windows 8 however....

on Win8 the screen is horribly messed up. the interface appears to function, but the screen is unreadable, obviously a graphics problem. since rdesktop does not seem to support win8 (not tested, just noted a lack of claim on rdesktop's site) i will assume that it is at fault, or rather its ability to understand whatever is different in win8. if anyone has a tip on a solution for this I would appreciate it (other than not using such a crappy system).

EDIT: looks like RDP8 v RDP5 is the problem. this post on stack overflow has more info
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7...297337#8297337

keep up the good work, thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_09T05_22_14-0600.png
Views:	353
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	110633  

Last edited by Kryxan; 09-09-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Kryxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #37
twobob

hmm

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/armel/freerdp-x11

and https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/ then.

since you have the patch already *look up* this might be a worthwhile thing to at least TRY to add to buildroot?

There are threads on that process.

put on the "nice to have" pile, may try later.

small note: I do not have a single Windows 8 box to connect to (by choice)
so testing would be a problem.

EDIT: Hmm.. it's a cmake build thingy, Bleugh.
Not mega keen on doing this now myself then.

details here
https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/wiki/Compilation

Remmina (remmina@sourceforge), implementing FreeRDP (FreeRDP), is able to connect to Windows 8/Windows Server 2012

hmm... will ruminate on that
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/armel/remmina

Last edited by twobob; 09-09-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #38
twobob

okay looks like I may get remmina going.

EDIT:
But it's gonna be ugly
will probably need to bind-mount a few dirs on the root.

Still, no real hardship, a few tiny folders created, and a bit of "hugly" mounting.
Working on it.

Hmm...
actually in the end I had real difficulty in convincing gtk3.0 that my schemas were in fact all in order... after I FINALLY did that - the underlying xfreerdp problem reared it's head...

see next post:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_603.png
Views:	369
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	110651  

Last edited by twobob; 09-09-2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: got it to at least do a DIFFERENT error ;)
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #39
twobob

Lightbulb

Okay so I spent all day messing around with remmina, which would NOT play ball.

so instead I tried porting the underlying layer. xfreerdp

I DID actually get this to run. but - and there is a BIG but...

[root@kindle bin]# ./xfreerdp -g 600x800 --sec rdp -T L:A_N:application_id:twobob.rdp -a 16 919.999.911.111
connected to 919.999.911.111:3389
Quote:
X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 1 (X_CreateWindow)
Serial number of failed request: 32
Current serial number in output stream: 39
REF: http://www.rahul.net/kenton/perrors.html

Which means (IIRC) that I need the colormap specifying...
but I can't find anywhere to stick it.

Code:
Usage: ./xfreerdp [options] server:port
  -0: connect to console session
  -a: set color depth in bit, default is 16
  -c: initial working directory
  -D: hide window decorations
  -T: window title
  -d: domain
  -f: fullscreen mode
  -g: set geometry, using format WxH or X% or 'workarea', default is 1024x768
  -h: print this help
  -k: set keyboard layout ID
  -K: do not interfere with window manager bindings
  -m: don't send mouse motion events
  -n: hostname
  -o: console audio
  -p: password
  -s: set startup-shell
  -t: alternative port number, default is 3389
  -u: username
  -x: performance flags (m[odem], b[roadband] or l[an])
  -X: embed into another window with a given XID.
  -z: enable compression
  --app: RemoteApp connection. This implies -g workarea
  --ext: load an extension
  --no-auth: disable authentication
  --no-fastpath: disable fast-path
  --gdi: graphics rendering (hw, sw)
  --no-osb: disable offscreen bitmaps
  --no-bmp-cache: disable bitmap cache
  --plugin: load a virtual channel plugin
  --rfx: enable RemoteFX
  --rfx-mode: RemoteFX operational flags (v[ideo], i[mage]), default is video
  --nsc: enable NSCodec (experimental)
  --disable-wallpaper: disables wallpaper
  --composition: enable desktop composition
  --disable-full-window-drag: disables full window drag
  --disable-menu-animations: disables menu animations
  --disable-theming: disables theming
  --no-rdp: disable Standard RDP encryption
  --no-tls: disable TLS encryption
  --no-nla: disable network level authentication
  --ntlm: force NTLM authentication protocol version (1 or 2)
  --ignore-certificate: ignore verification of logon certificate
  --sec: force protocol security (rdp, tls or nla)
  --secure-checksum: use salted checksums with Standard RDP encryption
  --version: print version information

and short of hacking it in myself on a code level like:
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...=1#post1166462 I'm running out of ideas...

(REF: http://cwikla.com/X/articles/txa/visual.html)

Just to actually CHECK that I wasn't going mad - I threw it at Xephyr and it did indeed connect to a windows2012? server.

No windows 8 to test it on... but yeah...
So. The choices are these:

I bundle it with Xephyr and look to bundle in blackbox (to handle the color horror) and run it in that. nope - that wont work. tried it.

I DID run it in Xepyhr WITHOUT the colormapping fixed (Screenie attached)
with pretty horrible results (visually)

Some other whizz bang solution that some kind soul will offer up

Any ideas anyone?
bit tired of this now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_606.png
Views:	400
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	110703  

Last edited by twobob; 09-09-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #40
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Your correct - it does not look pretty.
But it is usable that way.
Better than guessing at what the remote is doing anyway.

Since this is a single-member request -
May I suggest that you just box it and ship it as is?

You could always come back and 'fix' this one if you stumble onto the colormap solution while working on something else.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #41
twobob

yeah. Good call. I actually cant FIND a single windows 8 box IP address (public) to do test connections to anyways.

Let's see what the OP thinks (assuming they ever come back)
Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #42
Kryxan
Kryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud ofKryxan has much to be proud of

Device: Touch
single-member request? i wouldn't even consider it a request, just an oh hey thought you should know. sure when i was writing the original post my thoughts were toward a resolution, but once i saw the protocol update was the problem and only a hack for an entirely different program could potentially, not even conclusively, provide a path to a resolution, well, i had little intention of seeing twobob slave away a day on such an endeavor. i was happy he even threw it on the nice to have pile.

that said, i am really impressed that he was able to accomplish so much, despite the gnarly appearance. really, the colormapping is a back-burner issue, especially since the rest seems to work. after all, basic usability on something like this is all that matters. and what is anyone going to use it for? moving files, running downloads, maybe just maybe set a program to run in the background when you're at work.

as an addendum I find the only way to use remote desktop effectively, at least in the non server environment, is with a termsrv.dll patch allowing concurrent sessions. nice to connect without knocking someone else off on a multi-user pc. here are some links for the termsrv.dll patch i quickly gathered to share with the forum

http://www.serverwatch.com/server-tu...n-windows.html

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...dows-8-Patcher
Kryxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #43
twobob

Okay so I finally got to test it with a windows 8 box and.....
it died.

typical. so it would indeed need the patch first outlined by Kryxan a few posts ago then rebuilding. It's CMAKE, I'm not up for that ... so IMHO it will be a case of finding something else in the short term as there are quite a few options, or rebuilding one of these things with the new options in them.

I already build rdesktop from source so if you/me can find a windows 8 patch for that - I would consider putting that in the rebuild

probably least resistance. Was good to have a dig around and see what was out there anyways. Happy with rdesktop TBH at this point now, considering the rest.

might have a look at vinagre - but I'll check what it calls under-the-hood before I waste too much time on it.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #44
twobob

Rdesktop does not currently have any "obvious" support for windows 8 far as I can find.

Audio input using 2008 R2 extension no
Network Level Authentication (NLA) no
RemoteFX no
RandR/dynamic resize yes
Works well with Win 7 / 2008 R2 yes (tellingly, no windows 8 there huh)
Old 09-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #45
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: What's the issue with CMake?

If the scripts aren't stupid (I'm looking at you, elektra), it's mosltly painless (basically, have a proper env, and overload CMAKE_C_COMPILER & friends to point to the right TC).

Cf. the convoluted way I built elektra (https://svn.ak-team.com/svn/Configs/...isc/libelektra), where there is a bit of trickery because the build process tries to run some freshly compiled helper binaries to build a couple of headers, which obviously is a big no-no when x-compiling. So, err, this, but much simpler (mkdir -p build && cd build && cmake -DBLAH... .. && make && make install) ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
launcher add-ons, rdesktop